Email FAQ (Updated 7/10/2010) and Q & A Thread

volleygod

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Deleting Emails?

I am using a pop3 mail account. When i delete emails on my incredible they are moved to the trash folder. Is there a way to "empty" my trash folder without having to hit menu>delete and then clicking on individual emails?

Second, i use outlook on my pc. I can move emails into folders i create ala advertising, family and other such things. Is there a mail app i can create folders and move emails to those folders to save and look up quickly?

Thanks

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am using a pop3 mail account. When i delete emails on my incredible they are moved to the trash folder. Is there a way to "empty" my trash folder without having to hit menu>delete and then clicking on individual emails?

Second, i use outlook on my pc. I can move emails into folders i create ala advertising, family and other such things. Is there a mail app i can create folders and move emails to those folders to save and look up quickly?

Thanks

Have you considered using IMAP instead of POP? IMAP is better for multi-device email use where you want everything to look the same.

hoenninger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Former Blackberry User FAQ:

Question:

Does Android offer a unified Inbox ? similar to Blackberry?

Answer:

No it does not. This may seem disorienting and/or frustrating at first, but after continued use, most uses adjust without any problems.

Can an application like Touchdown solve this problem?

I have 100+ folders under my Inbox that I automatically route messages to. Not being able to see these messages unless I go to each individual folder is not a workable solution.

Any help or suggestions (other than don't do that) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

fireguy116#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Im new to android platform. I have a question, I recently set up 2 yahoo email account on my phone on 1 of the home screens. When I would get and email in one of the accounts I would get a little green number 1 on the lower left hand side of the email screen. But for some reason it doesnt show up anymore. Is there a reason for this or a way to fix this?

johnearcher

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Email notification

Is there any way to get email notification on the Incredible for all folders, not just the top-level inbox? I use Exchange, and I have to open every folder to check if I have new email. There's got to be a better way!

Thanks.

coco savage

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok, im a noob with this email stuff, and the answer might be here but im not sure i understand what i need/reading.

I have a school email account, it runs through microsoft live... @live.(schoolname).edu

I cant seem to get it to work. Sorry if this should not be posted here

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to get email notification on the Incredible for all folders, not just the top-level inbox? I use Exchange, and I have to open every folder to check if I have new email. There's got to be a better way!

Thanks.

Are you using froyo? I am and i get a notification for every folder. I do not want to see every folder all the time so i opened folders, long press and toggle sync. Hope this helps!

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok, im a noob with this email stuff, and the answer might be here but im not sure i understand what i need/reading.

I have a school email account, it runs through microsoft live... @live.(schoolname).edu

I cant seem to get it to work. Sorry if this should not be posted here

You may want to ask the Admin at your school. I tried setting up my email and it had to be done manually. for server i needed mail.companyname.com and for domain i needed companyname.org

moore999

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've seen the write up for the incoming/outgoing settings for Gmail, yahoo, etc, but what about bellsouth accounts? I think bellsouth was bought by att and has some involvment with yahoo, but my email address is still *********@bellsouth.net. I've been getting my incoming fine, but can't set up my outgoing to allow me to send. Any advice for the settings for outgoing messages?

Thanks!

THLM

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I've seen the write up for the incoming/outgoing settings for Gmail, yahoo, etc, but what about bellsouth accounts? I think bellsouth was bought by att and has some involvment with yahoo, but my email address is still *********@bellsouth.net. I've been getting my incoming fine, but can't set up my outgoing to allow me to send. Any advice for the settings for outgoing messages?

Thanks!

Solution here. Scroll down to the bottom. Worked for me!!!
Bellsouth Email Settings? - Android Forums

Basically, this is what I did:
Incoming mail server type: POP3
Incoming (POP): pop.att.yahoo.com
Incoming User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g. yourname @ bellsouth.net, no spaces please, just trying to avoid posting an email)
Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked

Outgoing (SMTP): smtp.att.yahoo.com, with authentication (same user and password as POP)
Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g. yourname @ bellsouth.net)
Outgoing mail port # 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

I was connected to wifi at the time I set it up.

longshot

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Roadrunner/Time-Warner POP Account Settings ?

Anyone had success setting up their POP email account thru this ISP ?

-- I'm using Outlook 2010
-- email address is username@nc.rr.com
-- Incoming Server is: pop-server.nc.rr.com
-- Outgoing server is: smtp-server.nc.rr.com

I've had a BlackBerry for almost 4 years and email just works - why doesn't Android OS set up & handle POP email as simply and reliably as BIS ??

(Sorry for the rant - I love the Droid Inc w/ widgets & browser but this email fubar has me so totally frustrated that I may have to go to the Storm 2....)

judeism

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Copy from email

I have had my dinc now since it came out. It is my first android device and I do love it. However the one frustration I have coming from a blackberry is no copy and paste from emails.

Is this possible to do? Thanks in advance for any help.

dreedy01

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have had my dinc now since it came out. It is my first android device and I do love it. However the one frustration I have coming from a blackberry is no copy and paste from emails.

Is this possible to do? Thanks in advance for any help.

I copy and paste from an email all the time in the native mail app...just long press on a word that you want to copy and you'll get two lil dots, one on top of the word and one on the bottom. Move the top dot if you want to copy more to the left and above the word you highlighted and move the bottom dot if you want to copy to the right and below of the word. Once you've highlighted what you want to copy, tap on the lil note/clipboard symbol above the highlight section and you've copied it to the clipboard. Where you wanna paste it, just long press and tap paste :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I asked this a couple months ago and never got a response. I'm now using activsync for my Hotmail account and I'm really liking the fact that I don't have to re-delete crap off the computer (that was really my only issue). However, I really want to just have the activsync icon on my desktop instead of going through the messaging icon and then finding it in there (two clicks instead of one). I use Chomp for texts, so I don't need the text messaging icon in there, either.

1. Is there a way to just put the ActivSync icon on my desktop?

2. Alternatively, can I remove Text Messaging from the Messaging app?

And I know this is in the DInc forum and I'm asking about a DX, but I thought maybe someone might have a clue as to what I could do.

Thanks!

Last edited:

NeveSSL

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how I can have two gmail accounts pushed to my phone? We just switched over to google from exchange at work, and I need both personal and work email pushed.

Thanks,

Brandon

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
The Android Gmail app, is not that great when it comes to copy and paste. In the Android Gmail app, copy and paste will not allow you to select the entire text in a email, if you have to scroll down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoverSpike