Email notification problem after Lollipop update

Eddyvnhln

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Go into settings> Device> notifications> Do not Disturb....make sure it is off....then individually make each notification for email or your other favorites TOP PRIORITY if you don't see this keep looking in notifications Samsung Galaxy 6
I use the stock mail app for all my email accounts. Since the update, which I did this morning, I'm no longer getting my email notifications in the notification area nor a sound or vibration when a new message arrives. The only way I know I have a new message is the red circle indicator on the mail icon.

Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4

Last edited:

montanezc1

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I have been having this issue off and on for almost 10 months. I finally just gave up and switched to Cloud Magic as my default e-mail app. I have two e-mail accounts that I used to use Samsung e-mail app... Yahoo and a (business G-mail account). I would always get the samsung e-mail notifications (not the gmail app notification) for the google business e-mail account, but rarely for the yahoo account. Now I just use Cloud Magic... took some getting used to but works just fine.

Im tried of always having to delete all e-mail accounts by forcing to stop the samsung e-mail app and deleting all information only for it to work for a few days or weeks, then stop getting notifications. I had some very important e-mails that needed immediate attention that I missed.

David Meade

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I was also having the same problem with the standard email app, i.e. not getting notifications. I had my work Microsoft exchange email, Hotmail and yahoo all on the standard email app. I then deleted Hotmail & yahoo from the standard app and set up a third party app to run them.

But after reading threads that Gmail could run Hotmail and yahoo accounts, I decided to delete this 3rd party app (Microsoft outlook), and start to set up my Gmail app to run Hotmail and Yahoo. Before I added Hotmail & yahoo, I was configuring Gmail (as I realized that I do not get notifications for this email too) and it asked my to sync all data and emails, so I selected yes, then all of a sudden I started getting notifications for my work exchange email on the standard email app.

So I then went back to this, added my Hotmail & Yahoo accounts, sent some test emails and I started getting these pushed through and notifications coming up at the top and locked screens.

SUMMARY
Some how it seems the Gmail default app was preventing/ overriding the Samsung app's notification settings. Hope this helps people.

jvangurp

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes same here:

MotoG 2015
Rooted - stock ROM
I went through ever single setting on the phone, it seems. All notifications are set on, I rebooted many times.
Following another poster's advice I installed Push Notification Fixer and it worked! I'm not sure if this is a proper fix, but it seems to accomplish the task.

I did change ISP a week ago, but this issue seems to have started out of the blue.

b0bfreebsd

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Here is the FIX that worked for me. First, yes all the proper check boxes were checked, but, I was not getting any more "push" synchs with the standard email app, which I prefer to use.
The solution was this: goto Settings --> Application Manager --> Gmail and Force Stop it, disable it, then uninstall it. It will bark at you that other apps may not work. Just continue to uninstall it.
Then reboot and go to Play Store and re-install Gmail. Oddly, Gmail needs to be installed for any other app, including Email to talk to the Gmail email servers. Anyway, that fixed the "push" issue!
Enjoy!

b0bfreebsd

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
One additional point, for some of us, and that is the fact that the standard Email client on our phones has a limit of 5000 emails, no matter which folders you shunt them to from the Inbox. It is a maximum of 5000 total emails. I tend to clear my Inbox every month or two and save the balances into a folder I called "SAVE-OLD" ... but it filled up to max out the limit and that slowed down the Email app a lot! So, also receiving my emails on my Desktop computer simultaneously, I archive on my Desktop and just delete old emails on my phone. :)

CyndiN

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
I guess I am person number 4 with the lack of notifications sound or vibrations. :-( No matter what I do, I get nothing. I don't even get a red dot or envelope to let me know I have mail. I have checked and double checked my settings and all is good. I just bought my phone yesterday...not happy.:-

tiffany sacchi

Jan 12, 2018
Visit site
i had that problem then fixed it under SOUND AND NOTIFICATIONl. Under notification change NOTIFCATIONS ON LOCK SCREEN to show all content. that should help get what you were getting PRE-LOLLIPOP.

I on the other hand can't seem to get JUST my text msgs to show up on the lock screen. I don't want to see my email, I'll see it on the status bar / pull down menu.... grrr.. and i have a heating up issue on my S4. :( not a fan of lollipop today.

I did do this but still no luck. I am helping a friend who has this phone. I can't believe what an issue it is. I hope they come out with an update. I have Samsung S8+ I hate this update too. It actually changes the position of where i find punctuation. I don't like it. There are other changes I can't think of at the moment I don't like.