Enabling WiFi "Restrict Networks" on a Telus Galaxy S8

nhoeller

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I periodically set up a mobile hotspot on one of my phones so that other devices can get access to cell Internet. On my Galaxy S6 and Tab S2, I can limit data usage over the mobile hotspot WiFi link by Settings -> Connections -> Data usage -> Restrict networks. Although there are a bunch of websites that indicate this works on the Galaxy S8, the option does not exist on my S8 - under the Wi-Fi section I only see WiFi data usage. I am not sure if this was the case when I purchased the phone or if the option disappeared as a result of an update.

Is anyone else unable to find "Restrict networks"? If so, has anyone found a way to access this option?

Thanks, Norbert

nhoeller

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a chat with Telus support. The person I spoke to had access to various Android emulators - WiFi "Restrict networks" was available in Android 7 and 8, but missing in Android 9 (Pie). I subsequently found https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/how-to/guide-menu-guide-part-1-connections-t3846026 which says (my highlight):

Wi-Fi data usage; Restrict networks: Like mobile data, you can also review your Wi-Fi usage. Do review it once in a while to identify data-hungry apps that can affect battery and CPU as well; 'Restrict networks' (not available in Pie) helps you define your WiFi networks as 'metered'.​

So far, this is the only post that I have found about Android Pie dropping "Restrict networks". I have had no luck finding a reason for dropping the option or determining if the option reappears in Android 10.

Thanks, Norbert