EP4 OTA arrived and installed.

oOOOo

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
GB was waiting on the phone at 7am. Smooth install 20 minutes. GPS seems faster - maybe. I'll try again outside. Re-paints, especially from apps back to home MUCH faster.

Next up, root, Ti backup and de-bloat.

Cady

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It's a GB feature. It's called overscroll glow. We just happen to be unfortunate enough to have the Charge and be stuck with that ugly orange color. If I remember correctly the overscroll glow on the Fascinate was blue.

Glow? Is that what they termed it? This is not a pregnant woman, and that's definitely not a glow. At least if it was blue I could probably tolerate it, but that orange reminds me of puke and I feel like doing so every time it happens (and it's happening alot).

Another observation; seems they desensitized three WiFi antenna. I used to get WiFi signal everywhere in my house on the Charge, but now I only get signal when I'm sitting in the same room as my router. All my other equipment are fine, so I know the router is working.

...and then there's the obligatory prompt to access my email. Happens every time Big Red turns on a new 4G market, and it's happening after the GB update too. I really hate this phone!

Last edited:

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed what I think is a new feature.
When you go to the "Battery Use" tab under "About Phone", there is now a graph at the top of the page which shows your battery use. If you tap that graph, it will take you to a larger graph which will also show other data on the phone signal, GPS, WiFi and screen info.

My Quadrant scores are also way up. 950's with Froyo. Now getting 1400 up to 1710 with GB. I'm not sure if it really means anything, but it sure sounds impressive!

Rich

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Got update last night, not seeing improvement with GPS that others have seen. It sat for 5 minutes without getting a GPS lock and I finally gave up.

walhalla

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Just got the update in Cary, NC. Took about 25 minutes total. That's the good news.
After the update, there was no power to phone even though it was plugged in. I pulled the battery, put it back in and turned the phone on. After it went through boot up, it found the Verizon network, ran media scanner and then it shut off. Pressing and holding the power button does nothing. I pulled the battery, put it back in and rebooted. Same thing. This time I removed and re-inserted the simm card. Same result. Next time after it lost power I removed the sd card before rebooting. Same thing.
Next time it powers up and appears to be fine. I can play music from google music.
I then went to maps and it doesnt lock onto my location. I close the program then bring up gmail just fine. I go back into maps and this time it finds my location, although the program then locks up. I'm able to get back to my home screen and then power down the phone. When I try to power up, it's dead in the water. I remove the battery, re-insert it and power up the phone. After rebooting, finding the network and running media scanner, it shuts down again.
I will be heading to a Verizon store when they open this morning and see what sort of bs I will receive from them. And I am not rooted.

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Gingerbread update this morning on my Charge and on my wife's Fascinate and everything went well, and my phone does seem much snappier. Only question I have is shouldn't I have voice chat through Google Talk now? It doesn't look like I got the new Talk app with the video/voice icons that should be standard with 2.3.5+ and I can't find it anywhere in the market. Apparently Talk is distributed as part of the OS so it's up to the manufacturer to include it with any updates?

Did Samsung not include the new Talk app? I would actually like to be able to use the FFC if only for the novelty factor.

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
Well my update was waiting for me this AM, but since the phone sucked 50% of the battery doing nothing (except downloading the update) over 9 hours last night, I'm stuck waiting for the battery to charge sufficiently to install. :(

bayou bandit

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got my update this morning in Pensacola,FL. As far as I can tell, my phone is rocking a lot faster and stronger than before. Very pleased with the update, so far. Very.

The biggest difference that I've noticed so far is internet browsing. It is MUCH faster.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the update overnight here in Greenbelt, MD. The phone is definitely snappier which was the main improvement I was hoping for. When I first got the Charge, I started a thread and posted to several threads about how laggy it was. This update defintely fixes that.

stellar313

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I got the update this am also. My phone seems much snappier too. Was using go launcher due to such a lag/redraw returning to home on the stock launcher.... Trying it again now and seems to be improved.

Mizzou87

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Does the update fix the data connectivity issues? Like many other people, when I am away from my internet connection, I have to restart the phone for a connection. Thanks in advance for your help.

megamef

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If i do this OTA will i lose all my apps and have to do factory reset? Jus asking because it happend to me on my Dinc. And should i put all my apps on my sd card?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

rae34

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
i can browse the web and talk on the phone now
this is new right? because im pretty sure i couldnt do this before
the update....kinda awesome

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
i can browse the web and talk on the phone now
this is new right? because im pretty sure i couldnt do this before
the update....kinda awesome

You can do this if you are connected to wifi or are in a 4g area. Maybe when you tried before and could not you were in 3g territory.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I still havent received the update after going back to the stock build. I have been reading all the posts and have decided that I was not going to take a chance with my phone since it seems the update may have a lot of issues still. I am going back to the rooted version I had on the phone. Just a week of being back to plain old stock was enough.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Looks like last night was the first BIG rollout. Got mine early in the morning but like one other poster the phone was too weak to load. Plugged it in, went back to sleep for another two hours and then it loaded right up. No glitches with the load. Here is what I've got so far:

1. GPS. I never had the GPS issues others have mentioned so can't say anything changed. I had one glitch while I was testing in that for a few seconds the location was inaccurate. But it came back quickly.

2. Performance. Can't say yet. Will take a few days to get an idea.

3. Wi-fi. Like someone else reported, I am experiencing a slightly weakened wi-fi. My back room was borderline before but it always held on. Now it tends to lose the connection occasionally. Also a weird thing. Sitting right next to my router, I initially noticed that the wifi signal was not showing any strength, i.e. no bars above the dot. I went into settings and it showed a good signal, and also the wifi notification icon suddenly showed the correct number of bars.

4. Bloatware. Four new apps added. Download manager actually doesn't seem too bad. I have no use for any of the VCast stuff though.

Only time will tell on battery life and overall performance. It feels zippier, but I've only been messing with it for a short time.

Tom74

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Gingerbread update this morning on my Charge and on my wife's Fascinate and everything went well, and my phone does seem much snappier. Only question I have is shouldn't I have voice chat through Google Talk now? It doesn't look like I got the new Talk app with the video/voice icons that should be standard with 2.3.5+ and I can't find it anywhere in the market. Apparently Talk is distributed as part of the OS so it's up to the manufacturer to include it with any updates?

Did Samsung not include the new Talk app? I would actually like to be able to use the FFC if only for the novelty factor.

Seems the charge didnt get video chat with google talk for some reason. I finally got the update today. My wifes revolution has the option for video chat but not my charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332