EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Later today I'm picking up the Evo 3D, my first Android phone. I've been a die-hard webOS user since the Pre was first released. I've also been a webOS developer for 2 years. Those of you who used to (or still do) visit the PreCentral forums may know some of my apps: Music Player (Remix), GeoStrings, and Quick Post.

NahtyaBoi from Twitter directed me over to this thread. I was very happy to see a thread like this to make the transition from webOS to Android easier. I remember milominderbinder was always very helpful in creating guides over on PreCentral, so it doesn't surprise me that he's still doing the same thing here on AndroidCentral.

I look forward to jumping into this community and learning about the Evo 3D and everything else Android related. I'm still going to be involved in the webOS community (still love the OS), but with my new tech toy coming soon, I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time here too.

Plus I've started to develop Android apps. My first one is a port of Quick Post, which happens to be the #1 rated social networking paid app in the webOS catalog! You can read more about it here:
Dan!

I've moved over as well (was Treoinmypocket at precentral because it used to be TREOcentral - ha).

Today I pick up my HTC Thunderbolt and came here looking to see if Geostrings, Music Player Remix, etc. were available here...glad to see you are working on QuickPost already.

For me personally, I hope to see an Android version of Geostrings - I LOVED THAT APP! Hell, I even PAYED for it - haha.

Good luck in the Android world (to both of us) and I will eagerly await your further developments.

macbranson

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I missed my Pre, but after playing around with my 3VO for a while, I've found a ton of apps that make the Evo much more user friendly. I don't too much care for HTC Sense and there are a bunch of apps (SwipePad, WaveLauncher, LauncherPro) that give it a much more user friendly interface. Nothing is going to be exactly like the Pre's swiping gestures, but I'm willing to lose out on that for what I gain in all the 3VO has to offer. WAAAAAAAAYYYY more apps, memory card slot, vast increase in processing power, bigger screen, better camera, the list goes on and on. The Pre was an awesome phone, but I've been lagging in the phone area for two years and now that I have a current phone, I realize all that I've been missing.

UncleVanya

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Tried this method on my VZW Palm Pre Plus - cellbrite export came up but then crashed with this error:

Could not create temporary file!:
{errorCode":"ErrorGenericMethodException","errorText": "Service Method Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"}

I have also tried Milominderbender's "SaveAllContactsViaEmail" and it is not working - spinning at the "Preparing contacts" prompt never stops.

macbranson

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of surprised that no one has developed an app that completely mimics the Pre's "cards" feature. That was the main feature about the phone that everyone loved. There are some that try, but don't really capture the way it worked quite the same. I saw a preview of Itching Thumb and that looked great, but it's no longer available for some reason. It must be more difficult than I thought to replicate.

Gaurav

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit I've been playing with my EVO like crazy and can't put it down. There is something just geeky and fun about it that makes me not want to put it down. I'm having a great time installing custom roms, side loading theme packs and etc. Hardware wise the the Evo is superb. The things I still miss from webos are cards, gestures and notifications. Andriod notifications are ok, but I just wish you could swipe away like in webos but I read that will be enabled in ICS! Task manager is ok but I agree that cards is such a killer feature that I wish future Andriod versions incorporate that somehow. A few apps like Dophin browser incorporate gestures, and wish there was more of that through out the OS. But I do like old school graffiti app though which brings me up to ALL the APPS!!! WOWZEEEE!! I love the andriod market...

There are soo many apps to try and download that I wish you could customize the app drawer like webos app launcher with specific page names so you could organize for example a page for games or utilites etc. As far as sense, I kind of like it and appreciate all the widgets...

Anyway going to try overclocking next...having too much fun with my EVO! :p

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome brother, always nice to see another webOS convert come to the dark side. I agree, I had a hard time putting this phone down when i first got it, and still do. It has a geeky, modding charm that webOS never had. WP7 and iOS also does not have it. It's why if webOS managed to succeed I would have still switched to Android for the geek factor, and yes the APPS!

kirk0625

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love my Evo, Android, and all of the apps, there are still thinks I miss from webOS. Which I guess is why I'm so excited about ICS; Android took the swiping and a version of card view, and integrated into a better OS! If I ever leave Android for some reason, I hope I can find a smartphone OS as natural to use as webOS, but android has my heart for now. I'm just curious to see what HTC is gonna do to this ICS update.

cstam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So, anyone else do Windows Mobile HTC phones (Touch, Touch Diamond, Touch pro, etc)->Palm Pre->OG Evo 4G-Evo 3D and are now going after the Evo 4G LTE?

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, anyone else do Windows Mobile HTC phones (Touch, Touch Diamond, Touch pro, etc)->Palm Pre->OG Evo 4G-Evo 3D and are now going after the Evo 4G LTE?

Wow, yes! Touch Pro -> Palm Pre -> Pre 2 (Frankepre) ->Evo 3D. I really want the Evo 4G LTE, but I'm afraid I won't get it until my 20 months are up next February...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa Oliver