EVO Touch screen problems

alex800

May 17, 2010
Visit site
EVO Touchscreen problems

When I’m in landscape mode I can’t press N, J or . (dot) on the keyboard. It works fine in portrait mode.

Also, I can’t press on buttons on most of the confirmation screens. Example…when I long press power button, then Power off and then I would get a confirmation screen with OK and Cancel buttons. Nothing happens when I press any of these buttons. Before I did a hard reset I had similar problem with Handcent SMS. When I tried to send MMS a message pops up asking to resize the picture before I can send it and the phone would not let me press on any of the buttons on that screen.

Like I mentioned before I did a hard reset but it did not help. I did not root my phone. Any ideas???

TIA

PS. I did HTC update this morning and hard reset again and it did not solve my issue. I'm going to Sprint store now...

Last edited:

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I recently had a issue with the touch screen, mine started the very start after finishing the HTC update.

Never once had a issue prior, but after the update I had a touch screen that wouldnt be touched. :(

On a waiting list to get it replaced now :(

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
When I?m in landscape mode I can?t press N, J or . (dot) on the keyboard. It works fine in portrait mode.

Also, I can?t press on buttons on most of the confirmation screens. Example?when I long press power button, then Power off and then I would get a confirmation screen with OK and Cancel buttons. Nothing happens when I press any of these buttons. Before I did a hard reset I had similar problem with Handcent SMS. When I tried to send MMS a message pops up asking to resize the picture before I can send it and the phone would not let me press on any of the buttons on that screen.

Like I mentioned before I did a hard reset but it did not help. I did not root my phone. Any ideas???

TIA

PS. I did HTC update this morning and hard reset again and it did not solve my issue. I'm going to Sprint store now...
1) Did you use the calibration tool? Home screen>>menu>>language & keyboard>>touch input>>text input>>calibration tool.

2) Or perhaps the problem is coming from an improper ground on the touch screen.
Engadget
This is also why if you place the phone on a table and attempt to use the top of the screen, it can be unresponsive at times, requiring you to hold the phone and ground it.

alex800

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from Sprint store and they said I will need a new phone. They told me I need to go back to Radio Shack (where I bought) my phone and exchanged it since it is under 30 days. I called RS and they have non in stock and don't know when they will get it. What should I do now?

BTW I tried calibration tool and it would not respond when I press T. All I could do press Restart from calibration screen.

alex800

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm playing with the phone and I think it got worse. Now I cannot press numbers 4, 5 or 6 on the dial pad.... :( When I press 4 I get 1 or 7. When I press 5 I get 2 or 8 and when I press 6 I get 3 or 9. I tried pressing everywhere on the screen but cannot get 4, 5 or 6.

Last edited:

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe related and maybe not. I think I am ok now but yesterday...after the update and before a reboot...the sensitivity was at a level where I pretty much had to whack the screen to get recognition. It was bad on the screen but terrible in the keyboard. Calibrating did nothng but again, seems ok after reboot...Found this while looking for others with my problem..

alex800

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your response but I did reboot many times and also "clear storage" 3 times.

Not getting anywhere with Sprint either. They will not offer any help at all because Evo was purchased at RadioShack. All Radioshacks around me are out of stock….
The only thing Sprint is offered me is to return the phone to Radioshack and purchase a new one from telesales. Typical Sprint customer service….

Look at the video.... When I press 4, 5, 6..... Also in keyboard mode I can't press j, n or . (Dot). Cannot press on OK button to confirm power off.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3FJD-t9ck

Last edited:

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your response but I did reboot many times and also "clear storage" 3 times.

Not getting anywhere with Sprint either. They will not offer any help at all because Evo was purchased at RadioShack. All Radioshacks around me are out of stock….
The only thing Sprint is offered me is to return the phone to Radioshack and purchase a new one from telesales. Typical Sprint customer service….

Look at the video.... When I press 4, 5, 6..... Also in keyboard mode I can't press j, n or . (Dot). Cannot press on OK button to confirm power off.... YouTube - HTC Evo touchscreen problems

I sympathize with your problem but I dont think you can bash Sprint or their customer service on this one. You didnt buy the phone from them, if you had they would help you, you should be bashing RS for not helping you to get a phone faster.

If your TV wont turn on less than 30 days after you bought it do you take the TV back to your cable company or back to the store that you bought it?

mjwarthog

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The same thing actually happened to me this weekend. I took into my Evo into the Sprint repair shop and they had to replace the touch screen. The guy told me he thought it got "bumped" wrong or something. In any case once he replaced the screen everything was working just fine. Not sure if some of the release day screens are defective or what, guess we'll see if it happens again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel