[Finally] Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus coming to the United States!

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what the value prop is for a us buyer to choose the g4 plus over the nexus 5x?

You gain expandable storage and more ram for a worse camera, no nfc, and slower processors and gpu.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Some people find Nexus boring and love the Moto features, though this still lacks moto voice, it does have the moto display which is a great feature. Is the camera worse? I thought it got very high marks this year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what the value prop is for a us buyer to choose the g4 plus over the nexus 5x?

You gain expandable storage and more ram for a worse camera, no nfc, and slower processors and gpu.

Preface: If updates are important to that particular buyer, always choose Nexus.

That said, prices for the Nexus 5X are coming down and the G Plus will be a tough sell ($250 roughly translates to the converted price of the Moto G (third gen) Turbo Edition).

Carriers: both work on all major US carriers.

Camera: G Plus ranks as high as the Nexus 6P over at DxOMark. I'd consider them equal. The big thing will be can the Moto G Plus open the camera and take a shot quicker than the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P as that's what I've seen as the biggest knock on the Nexus cameras.

NFC: With mobile payments growing, Nexus 5X all the way here. But if you don't use Android Pay or Android Beam, the spec is a wash. (I expect the fifth gen Moto G to have NFC as it slowly gains Moto X features)

CPU/GPU: Unless you're gaming or using a Nexus 5X side-by-side, I doubt users will notice performance hits on the Moto G Plus.

I think it comes down to, if you can get the Nexus 5X on sale, buy that one instead. If you absolutely need expandable storage and can get by without NFC, the cheaper Moto G Plus is still a good value.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Preface: If updates are important to that particular buyer, always choose Nexus.
Particularly since Lenovorola seems to be falling down on the job, in this respect, of late.

Carriers: both work on all major US carriers.
Careful with that! We don't yet know if the G4s will be Moto-G'd on TMO, like the last generation of Motos was.

Camera: ... The big thing will be can the Moto G Plus open the camera and take a shot quicker than the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P as that's what I've seen as the biggest knock on the Nexus cameras.
If you check the Moto G4 threads over on the Lenovorola site: You'll find that it, likewise, is getting knocked for (sometimes) slow snap times.

id rather go for which ever one has more screen on time/battery life.
That will probably be the Moto Gs.

I'm not awfully impressed with either the 5X or the Moto G4s. Since I don't need a new phone right now, I'm currently inclined to wait for the next Nexus phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci