Finger Sensor Gesture missing on the Fold 5

BigCrimsonTX

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have an issue where when I use my fingerprint sensor to unlock my phone google chrome opens up. It's pretty annoying because it opens up a new window each time.

How do I cut it off?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have an issue where when I use my fingerprint sensor to unlock my phone google chrome opens up. It's pretty annoying because it opens up a new window each time.

How do I cut it off?
Do you have side key(,power button )to open chrome, check in settings >advanced features >side key short cut

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Finger Sensor Gesture missing on the Fold 5.

Hopefully they bring it back soon with an update.
It's the same on the flip 5. I had a look around and according to Reddit it's because they switched to an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor instead of a capacitive one... So it probably isn't coming back. Which makes me sad.

Then again, I don't know about the fold but on the flip it often misregistered just holding the phone... So maybe it's not such a bad thing that it's gone. Look on the bright side and all that

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's the same on the flip 5. I had a look around and according to Reddit it's because they switched to an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor instead of a capacitive one... So it probably isn't coming back. Which makes me sad.

Then again, I don't know about the fold but on the flip it often misregistered just holding the phone... So maybe it's not such a bad thing that it's gone. Look on the bright side and all that
It was there with capacitive button just don't remember was fold 3 or 4

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes Fold 3/4/5 have capacitive buttons but I remember 3 or 4 you were able to swipe on the home side key capacitive button for a gesture
I think we're getting our wires crossed here lol.

What I'm trying to say is that the 3 and 4 had capacitive sensors, but they apparently switched to an ultrasonic one for the 5, and that's why the gestures don't work anymore.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think we're getting our wires crossed here lol.

What I'm trying to say is that the 3 and 4 had capacitive sensors, but they apparently switched to an ultrasonic one for the 5, and that's why the gestures don't work anymore.
Lol
That's what I mean the Fold 5 doesn't have a ultrasonic fingerprint sensor

Reactions: ironass

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Lol
That's what I mean the Fold 5 doesn't have a ultrasonic fingerprint sensor
Correct!

"On the side, you will find a capacitive fingerprint sensor that doubles up as a power button."

Also...

Screenshot 2023-08-20 183245.png

Reactions: mustang7757

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Reddit dissagrees, but they aren't exactly infallible lol, what makes you so sure it's not ultrasonic?
Well, Samsung list it as a capacitive fingerprint sensor and I guess they should know...

Screenshot 2023-08-20 194015.png

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Ultrasonic is on my s23u there is no ultrasonic fingerprint on outside or inner screen it's on the side button which is capacitive.
The side button doesn't have to be capacitive, and ultrasonic sensors don't have to be under a screen. There is no reason they couldn't put an ultrasonic sensor in the power button.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, Samsung list it as a capacitive fingerprint sensor and I guess they should know...

View attachment 355580

That's good info, thanks!

It probably is just because people were having trouble interacting with it then... although if that's the case, it seems just having it disabled by default would have been a better choice. I would bet we'll see it coming to a Good Lock module.

Reactions: ironass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia