First Impressions

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
first impressions: A note 8 but much better. still wish I could have gotten a blue note 9 with a blue pen or a black note 9 but other than that this thing is awesome. just need Samsung to release that 512gb card

I really don't mind the yellow pen however on the Samsung In Online Shop the S-pens are available to purchase too.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys.

Thank you for sharing your first impressions.

Have any of you tried to disable the Bixby Button or can you only disable the Bixby Home Screen.

You can't disable the button right now as far as I can tell, but I am sure that will change soon as the app that could gets updated, forget the name.

As for my first impressions. This phone is fast, fluid, and very well built. The display is beautiful, as good as it gets. I only kept the Note 8 for months as it slowed down, hope the ram prevents that this year.

stlokcphx

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
The screen is a slightly different hue than the 8 in side-by-side comparison. Faster overall. Set it up from scratch, rather than from a backup, but used the included cable, dongle to transfer text messages. Overall good impression.

Last edited:

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not. I use Bixby everyday. Very very helpful.

I wish they would allow you to use an app to make better use of the extra button, because a dedicated button for a program very few of us actually use is wasteful. I like it when I first got my S8+ and I remapped it to do 4 different functions like Bixby after a long press, a double press would open the flashlight and some other apps for a short press or 3 presses

celawlor

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
I agree that Bixby is really excellent. As is Google. Together, they make a great team! I am a very recent Bixby fangirl. It does some really cool things. I tell Bixby "driving kids" as I am walking out the door and it turns my bluetooth on, opens spotify, plays music with no profanity and fires up mobile hotspot. Then, the car picks up and plays the music via bluetooth.

And that is just one example. Bixby actually is not what I thought it was. I encourage everyone to really take a Bixby deep-dive before writing it off (like I did). It still may not do anything for you, but I think it's super-helpful (now).

RandomGuy Yo

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm blown away by the overnight stand by time, most Samsung phones I've had drop 20 percent ish. This dropped 3 percent. The feel in the hand is perfect without a case, the design is really nice. Internet speeds are very fast much better than my previous iPhone 8+. Overall I like it a lot so far

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Here are a few first impressions:

1) The ocean blue color is much deeper and more attractive than it appeared in online photos. I like it!
2) It's big, fast, beautiful and very well-made
3) Transferring content from my iPhone 8 Plus went perfectly. All messages and call logs transferred, and it only failed to match about 2-3 apps out of 70-ish I had on my iPhone.
4) I haven't used a Note since the Note 4, and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed using the S-Pen. I used it to mark up a few photos before sending last night - it's so much better than using a finger!

Mandarita

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Loving the new phone. It's super snappy and my set up went smooth. I only ran into a couple of snags.

1. SwiftKey is showing up gigantic on the screen when I'm in top resolution. My Note 8 fixed this until it was updated. This is annoying and I hope they fix it soon.

2. The theme from the Samsung store I'm using is greying out the option to turn off the icon frames. Because I use Nova, it's not a huge deal, but the air menu has ugly white circles

I'm sharing some pictures of my new phone and homescreen. Enjoy your phones!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaIxqhKxYianGmKn6g

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaIybsQOt2CcRIYKTw

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaIzxiGzE7mzBA_6WQ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaI0V9U2Xa-LkyZTZQ

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I was looking forward to using the new Bixby. From what I can tell though, they've cut support for some apps like WhatsApp? Does anyone know if this is untrue? Because otherwise, I'm really liking what they've done.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I swapped from a Note 8 and I like it so far.
-As already been said, it's a tad wider than the Note 8.
-I'm not sure how I feel about FP reader, I was used to the location on the N8 not I need to readjust :)
-Seems faster.
-I like the shade of blue but with a case on it it's a moot point.
-Not I need to get everything dialed in the way I want them.

Cheers,
BR

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree that Bixby is really excellent. As is Google. Together, they make a great team! I am a very recent Bixby fangirl. It does some really cool things. I tell Bixby "driving kids" as I am walking out the door and it turns my bluetooth on, opens spotify, plays music with no profanity and fires up mobile hotspot. Then, the car picks up and plays the music via bluetooth.

And that is just one example. Bixby actually is not what I thought it was. I encourage everyone to really take a Bixby deep-dive before writing it off (like I did). It still may not do anything for you, but I think it's super-helpful (now).

very cool.

bls8195

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
With these first impressions, do you think its actually work a switch from the S9+ or just stay put, regardless of the cost, for me its not much for me to switch but didn't know if it was even worth it. $45.00

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick