First Impressions

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would allow you to use an app to make better use of the extra button, because a dedicated button for a program very few of us actually use is wasteful. I like it when I first got my S8+ and I remapped it to do 4 different functions like Bixby after a long press, a double press would open the flashlight and some other apps for a short press or 3 presses

That has been out ever since the S8 (play store: BxActions) and its been one of my favorite features since. I use it for google now and long press for flashlight. Unfortunately, per the BxActions long press doesn't work with Bixby 2.0 but the remap for hitting the button once still works. I'm not sure if the Note 9 comes out of the box with Bixby 2.0 but the long press won't work on Bixby 2.0. I thought it had Bixby 2.0 but it updated overnight and I didn't know the auto update was on. I'm sure it definitely has it after the update. :( But I can still use BxActions for 1 button remap. Hopefully the long press comes back. I can't tell you how useful the long press flashlight was on my Note 8.

Last edited:

cajun456

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
With these first impressions, do you think its actually work a switch from the S9+ or just stay put, regardless of the cost, for me its not much for me to switch but didn't know if it was even worth it. $45.00

I switched from a 9+ to the Note 9 and really like it so far. I originally went from a Note 8 to the 9+ because the 9+ felt better in the hand and I didn't use the S Pen enough. The Note 9 feels a little better than the 9+ due to the flatter design. Even though the hardware is similar, the Note does feel quicker.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
what did you use to get all of your iPhone apps and information swapped over? I'm swapping from an iPhone 7

On your new Note, download Samsung Smart Switch Mobile from the Google Play Store. Open the app and agree to Terms of Service. On the next screen, select "USB Cable." It'll prompt you to connect the USB cable between your Note and iPhone (using the USB adapter in the box), and after that, it will prompt you to select which information you want to transfer. Then, just sit back and watch the magic happen ;)

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Lmao I tell you one thing....I didn't realize how light my note8 was till I got the note9. I was like dang. Lol. Note9 heavier but not too heavy. Feels better to me that way. I love how they did the curves. I thought the note8 fit well in my hands. But note9 fits better in my hands lol. I noticed the spen is more square this time around. I like the position of the fingerprint scanner better than the one on the note8. Even tho I'm still flipping reaching for the fingerprint on my note9 like I would on the note8. Just have to retrain the finger lol. I think swiping up and down on fingerprint scanner to bring down/up the notification panel runs better than the note8. Still setting some stuff up on my note8 so I'm sure I'll add more stuff later lol.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah see thats where I am torn I just don't think I will use the stylus that much, however I could be wrong. But the littler bigger screen is nice and the battery is always a plus.
S pen isn't something I use every single day, BUT when I need it, it is awesome to have.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Definately worth it for just a restock fee

I got my S9+ a few days before the Note 9 event, so after that I went in and pitched a fit and got them to make an exception so even though I'm outside of my return window - they taking the phone back anyway. I don't play that "sorry about your luck" stuff. Nah a knew phone on deck as soon as I get the other one - I'm talking to the district manager, regional manager etc - somebody is taking this S9+ back lol.

Anyway, yeah got it all worked out - moral of the story - don't let CS reps fool you - you kick and scream enough and someone will help you out.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Where did you find this?
In the "screen mode" settings at the bottom.
cb196d4d6184c65396ea64828034b7d1.jpg

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow. I can't believe how fast the note9 registered my fingerprints, face and eyes. It was barely have a second lol. Took a bit with note8.

Sdn2995

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok first impressions..
It is faster, thicker than the note 8 due to the battery. Which I like doesn't seem so thin and fragile anymore. It also easier for me to hold onto. The unlock using the intelligent scan is much better than anything previous. So far not much battery life seems ok I can update at the end of the day. I usually was at 32% all the way to 14% with the note 8 at 5:30. I will update then.

Side note.. I'm sure it is not the phone, but set up this time went easier and was more complete than ever before. I never had much success with restoring back ups and Samsung pass, but this time only a couple of apps needed to have my info put back into them.

Update.... ok I am at 40% at 7:30 a full two hours after normal time and I would say more use since this is new and I was messing with it. So updates and sync and still good. I will update after a couple of days use.

Last edited:

Sdn2995

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Lmao I tell you one thing....I didn't realize how light my note8 was till I got the note9. I was like dang. Lol. Note9 heavier but not too heavy. Feels better to me that way. I love how they did the curves. I thought the note8 fit well in my hands. But note9 fits better in my hands lol. I noticed the spen is more square this time around. I like the position of the fingerprint scanner better than the one on the note8. Even tho I'm still flipping reaching for the fingerprint on my note9 like I would on the note8. Just have to retrain the finger lol. I think swiping up and down on fingerprint scanner to bring down/up the notification panel runs better than the note8. Still setting some stuff up on my note8 so I'm sure I'll add more stuff later lol.
Lol me too... I keep saying to myself no,no below the camera..

yanger

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Coming for S7E - this phone is such a major upgrade. I have not found any lag in anything I've done with it so far and not having any issues switching between apps and stuff is so welcome.

Really enjoying everything about it. Even appreciate that it does have some weight to it.

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
I agree that Bixby is really excellent. As is Google. Together, they make a great team! I am a very recent Bixby fangirl. It does some really cool things. I tell Bixby "driving kids" as I am walking out the door and it turns my bluetooth on, opens spotify, plays music with no profanity and fires up mobile hotspot. Then, the car picks up and plays the music via bluetooth.

And that is just one example. Bixby actually is not what I thought it was. I encourage everyone to really take a Bixby deep-dive before writing it off (like I did). It still may not do anything for you, but I think it's super-helpful (now).

holy cow! It does all that just by saying "Driving Kids"?

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've never understood why you have to say "OK Google" to wake that up - like who the hell be talking like that anyway? I never start a conversation off with "OK ____" I know, I know, its to prevent unnecessary wake ups but none of the other companies do that and its just unnatural.

Okay rant over lol

I know, right?!? They need to update Assistant with the ability to assign personalized wake-words!

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
Loving the new phone. It's super snappy and my set up went smooth. I only ran into a couple of snags.

1. SwiftKey is showing up gigantic on the screen when I'm in top resolution. My Note 8 fixed this until it was updated. This is annoying and I hope they fix it soon.

2. The theme from the Samsung store I'm using is greying out the option to turn off the icon frames. Because I use Nova, it's not a huge deal, but the air menu has ugly white circles

I'm sharing some pictures of my new phone and homescreen. Enjoy your phones!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaIxqhKxYianGmKn6g

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaIybsQOt2CcRIYKTw

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaIzxiGzE7mzBA_6WQ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An62jOP9aYbogaI0V9U2Xa-LkyZTZQ

Nice Pics!

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
I've never understood why you have to say "OK Google" to wake that up - like who the hell be talking like that anyway? I never start a conversation off with "OK ____" I know, I know, its to prevent unnecessary wake ups but none of the other companies do that and its just unnatural.

Okay rant over lol

I feel the same way...

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
I got my S9+ a few days before the Note 9 event, so after that I went in and pitched a fit and got them to make an exception so even though I'm outside of my return window - they taking the phone back anyway. I don't play that "sorry about your luck" stuff. Nah a knew phone on deck as soon as I get the other one - I'm talking to the district manager, regional manager etc - somebody is taking this S9+ back lol.

Anyway, yeah got it all worked out - moral of the story - don't let CS reps fool you - you kick and scream enough and someone will help you out.

Yeah..people like this ^^^ are why i don't work customer service anymore..screaming at a rep will get you nowhere..a lot of time those things are outside of their control. They are there to assist, not get verbally abused..

celawlor

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
holy cow! It does all that just by saying "Driving Kids"?
Yes it does! I have several commands configured that do different things. And that was just one example. That's why I feel so strongly that people should just give Bixby a chance and really learn what it does before just disabling it. It's still new tech and not perfect, but VERY useful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick