Five things I’ll miss from the LG G4, and five things I won’t

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity have you tried messing with the keyboard settings to see if there's an alternate keyboard layout that includes the stock Google emojis?

I haven't found out how to do this without using root. The S6 (and looks like my G4) have all emojis locked to their version -- regardless of app.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I haven't found out how to do this without using root. The S6 (and looks like my G4) have all emojis locked to their version -- regardless of app.

That sucks, I switched to using Google's emojis because I found they're more compatible with non-android devices. In my case, if I send a text to someone with an iPhone using Google emojis the receiver sees the emoji. And visa versa. If I send a text using the Sony set, for example a smiley, they will see the ascii text instead of the emoji graphic ie. They would see :) rather than :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That sucks, I switched to using Google's emojis because I found they're more compatible with non-android devices. In my case, if I send a text to someone with an iPhone using Google emojis the receiver sees the emoji. And visa versa. If I send a text using the Sony set, for example a smiley, they will see the ascii text instead of the emoji graphic ie. They would see :) rather than :)

I agree -- I hate it. I would much rather use Google Emoji. Those are my favorite for sure.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Your fingers do fall naturally on the back buttons if you hold the phone closer to the bottom. Do I do this? No, because almost every phone I've ever had the side buttons were closer to the top. LG phones introduce many new habits and once you get used to them, it's hard to get away. It's crazy how many times I've caught myself double tapping my iPhone screen to turn it off

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
My biggest issue with back buttons is that I mount my phone in the car a lot. It's pretty much completely replaced my vehicle infotainment system. I can't access back buttons in a car mount.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The double tap yes, was genius, and I still try to do that on my iPhone and Note 4 as well, but the buttons on the back, sorry but no. There's no way that feels natural (even holding your phone from the bottom... come on!!!). In my case my index finger actually hurts from straining to reach the buttons, especially the volume down one, which is the one used for camera shortcut.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
My biggest issue with back buttons is that I mount my phone in the car a lot. It's pretty much completely replaced my vehicle infotainment system. I can't access back buttons in a car mount.

This was my biggest concern and why I didn't get the G3. However, with Android Wear, I control most of my infotainment features with my watch now so it's no longer a problem in my use case.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For me -- My finger lays where my muscle memory has learned. I have had various phones (Samsung, HTC, Apple, now LG) and for the first few days it was odd .. but after that my fingers knew how to use muscle memory to go where they should so they don't mess with what I am doing on the screen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but the only way your fingers fall 'naturally' in there is if you hold the phone by the bottom, and only about 1/3 of it. That's too little of a grip for such a big phone IMHO.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I hadn't thought about that... But I guess the double tap to wake/sleep makes it easier than buttons. Volume I seldom have to fiddle with while driving.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Your fingers do fall naturally on the back buttons if you hold the phone closer to the bottom. Do I do this? No, because almost every phone I've ever had the side buttons were closer to the top. LG phones introduce many new habits and once you get used to them, it's hard to get away. It's crazy how many times I've caught myself double tapping my iPhone screen to turn it off

I feel schizophrenic using my phones sometimes. I'm always hitting a nonexistent home button and swiping to go back on my Android phones, and tapping to wake my iPhones. I need to just pick one and stick with it. Haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nasrulawal026