trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just dropped my fold 4 off at ubreakifix for repair...maybe. It needs the normal 6 month screen protector replacement and it does not open all the way.

On the screen protector they said Samsung stopped replacing them, so I would probably have to pay for that which is $20. Normally I would be ok with that, but when they can't even get 6 months before peeling I think Samsung should replace them under warranty period at least. So basically Samsung knows the screen protectors won't last and don't want to stand behind them during the warranty.

The not opening all the way is more concerning. First I'm going to say I've been using my S23U for awhile, I went to switch to the fold and it wasn't opening correctly, so it wasn't even being used. They said to expect Samsung to deny the warranty on it as in the past Samsung says the not opening all the way is normal break in and not covered. Now granted, it opens most the way, but there's an indent, bend at the center of screen more then normal making the fold mark more noticable.

So we'll see how Samsung responds to their new, better improved hinge. For Samsung to say it's normal for the phone not to open all the way is ridiculous at best. Their response will dictate how I move on with the folding phones. I don't have a issue replacing screen protectors as something that sticks to the screen that bends over and over is expected to fail over time. It's a weak point of the folding phones that who knows how to fix. Just think within warranty they should just replace it once, it's a $2,000 phone after all.

The hinge different story. They bragged that it's a better hinge, then stand behind it. Don't say that's normal, because it's not. It could be that dust got in the hinge area and caused it, but that would have to be a lot of dust. If it is dust, then paying $2,000 for a phone that can do that by sitting in a drawer is not something I'm willing to continue my journey on folding phones with.

Well, we'll see how Samsung handles this and go from there. I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Reactions: werkx and J Dubbs

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the update. That is a big concern about the hinge. I agree if it doesn't fully open then it is not of merchantable quality or fit for its purpose. Under the consumer act in the UK that would be grounds for a claim. I doubt they would get away with that excuse in the UK.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the update. That is a big concern about the hinge. I agree if it doesn't fully open then it is not of merchantable quality or fit for its purpose. Under the consumer act in the UK that would be grounds for a claim. I doubt they would get away with that excuse in the UK.
Agreed @Kizzy Catwoman

Having said that, I have had my international, F936B, Fold4 since launch and the screen protector is in pristine condition and no problems with the hinge.

Reactions: mustang7757

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I’m curious.. do you have Care Plus? Will that help in this situation?
I have the Samsung premium care. If they don't cover it I will do the cheapest of repair or claim. If they don't cover it I'll get replacement and sell it or trade it in on a iPhone. I've been toying with the idea of trying iPhone and this could open the door.

Reactions: werkx

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the Samsung premium care. If they don't cover it I will do the cheapest of repair or claim. If they don't cover it I'll get replacement and sell it or trade it in on a iPhone. I've been toying with the idea of trying iPhone and this could open the door.
But if you dropped it and shows sign of damage… that’s policy for them not to cover it under warranty, it would be a Care Plus repair… right?

But I personally can’t see myself going back to the iPhone… I’ll go the Pixel Fold route.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
But if you dropped it and shows sign of damage… that’s policy for them not to cover it under warranty, it would be a Care Plus repair… right?

But I personally can’t see myself going back to the iPhone… I’ll go the Pixel Fold route.
The phone hasn't been dropped "yet". It's in new condition

Reactions: Ludatyk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I am curious about iphone. If it was just the phone I would be more apt to do it, but I have a watch also which makes changing more expensive.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The phone hasn't been dropped "yet". It's in new condition
My apologies… didn’t read it correctly. You stated you dropped it off to UBreakIFixIt.

I am curious about iphone. If it was just the phone I would be more apt to do it, but I have a watch also which makes changing more expensive.
Understandable… that’s what makes switching so challenging. Not only have to switch the smartphone, but the smartwatch as well.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My Flip 4 is also fine. But I haven't left it folded for long periods, I suspect that causes the screen protector issues and possibly some hinge problems too.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible that the screen protector is preventing the phone from opening all the way as opposed to the hinge?

Keep us posted on your repair.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I had my folded for long periods of time no issues.
Well you can imagine why I was surprised at this after it's been sitting for a few weeks closed on a drawer.

My screen protector is just starting to bubble. I wasn't going to do anything about it now, but since I took it in for the opening issue figured I might as well replace the screen protector while it's there being I'm 2.5 hours away from ubreakifix facility.

I know you and a lot of others are using the fold part time with other phones, I was using it full time every day all day since release. I don't know, but they once again said screen protectors are a issue on fold 4 phones, that's why they know Samsung probably won't cover it, in fact they said they won't cover it and it's $20. I'm just trying to feel better saying they probably won't.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well you can imagine why I was surprised at this after it's been sitting for a few weeks closed on a drawer.

My screen protector is just starting to bubble. I wasn't going to do anything about it now, but since I took it in for the opening issue figured I might as well replace the screen protector while it's there being I'm 2.5 hours away from ubreakifix facility.

I know you and a lot of others are using the fold part time with other phones, I was using it full time every day all day since release. I don't know, but they once again said screen protectors are a issue on fold 4 phones, that's why they know Samsung probably won't cover it, in fact they said they won't cover it and it's $20. I'm just trying to feel better saying they probably won't.
Yeah mine is part time use mainly when get home from work , that far and don't blame you to do everything at once .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995