Forget the Nexus 5.. how about Galaxy Nexus 2?

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I still love most things about my Galaxy Nexus; the size in my hand, 4G, removable battery, stock android (of course), fast camera. But there's things that could use improvement like battery life, radios, resolution and just better optimization. I just want a new generation of my GNex, not some huge screen-huge processor beastly block that won't fit in my pocket.

Posted via Android Central App

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I still love most things about my Galaxy Nexus; the size in my hand, 4G, removable battery, stock android (of course), fast camera. But there's things that could use improvement like battery life, radios, resolution and just better optimization. I just want a new generation of my GNex, not some huge screen-huge processor beastly block that won't fit in my pocket.

Get an s4 GPE edition then.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Google doesn't do removable batteries anymore.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't do removable batteries anymore.

I wish they did. The removable battery/back cover in the S3, S4 has several advantages:
1. Can carry a spare, swap them out as needed. Especially for traveling when outlet may not be convenient or don't want to wait around.
2. Replaceable back like on the S4 allows you to customize the phone to different materials, colors
3. Replaceable back give you more flexibility perhaps add wireless charging if it didn't come with that.
4. If you phone back gets scratched up replace it.
5. If you keep your phones a long time you won't have to worry about its battery wearing out and no longer keeping a charge. Just replace the battery instead of the whole phone.
6. Allows you to change to higher capacity batteries in some models.
7. More flexible designs for the back such as this back that adds alignment and holding magnets to the regular Qi wireless charging:
Qi Samsung Galaxy S4 Wireless Charging Cover - Black :: MobileFun.com

I would sacrifice a few mm in thickness for these benefits.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Out of the things you listed, only a removable battery is something you won't see in future Nexus phones. And that's not a big deal, especially with the N5 having a rumored 3000 mAh battery.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Out of the things you listed, only a removable battery is something you won't see in future Nexus phones. And that's not a big deal, especially with the N5 having a rumored 3000 mAh battery.

I guess that's why I'm leaning Galaxy Note 3. I would have preferred a Nexus device. Perhaps a Note 3 Google Play edition?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I guess that's why I'm leaning Galaxy Note 3. I would have preferred a Nexus device. Perhaps a Note 3 Google Play edition?

What? What's why you're leaning Note 3?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
What? What's why you're leaning Note 3?

Because we're unlikely to see a removable battery in next Nexus. I don't like Touchwiz though. but I like the multi-screen feature so I'll just have to tolerate it and turn off all the Samsung bloat. If they made a Nexus with removable battery and multi-screen built into Android that would be perfect for me.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Because we're unlikely to see a removable battery in next Nexus. I don't like Touchwiz though. but I like the multi-screen feature so I'll just have to tolerate it and turn off all the Samsung bloat. If they made a Nexus with removable battery and multi-screen built into Android that would be perfect for me.

What's wrong with a non-removable battery when it's 3000 mAh and you can use an external battery pack?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with a non-removable battery when it's 3000 mAh and you can use an external battery pack?

My experience has been with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus which is notorious for having poor battery life so perhaps my experience is skewed. I travel a lot and use the GPS a lot which really chews up the battery. Many times after getting off a plane I've used up much of my battery watching video's and even though I bring a car charger don't get the level up much because the GPS uses power as fast as you can charge it. Then when I get to my destination my battery is dead. I swap out the battery and within 30 seconds I'm back to 100% and good to go. I just feel with a fixed battery and when there might not be an opportunity to charge or don't want to wait around for it to charge and replaceable battery allows more flexibility. Or sometimes I've forgotten to charge it overnight, no problem change the battery and I'm good to go. If I had a fixed battery I'm stuck. Carrying an extra battery is much less cumbersome than an external battery. It is so small I always keep one in my back pocket. Also I find that in crowded areas like ball games in a stadium, festivals, amusement parks the battery usage goes up tremendously. Perhaps because it is competing with many people for a signal and boosting the power. I use the phone during games to follow stats, look up player background, stats. In amusement parks there are the guides that tell you how long the waiting times are, restaurants, taking pictures browsing while waiting in long lines.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Having your phone go dead because you forgot to charge it is more about changing your habits. I always plug in my phone last thing I do before I go to sleep. A removable battery helps you more if you are not around electricity and don't have the ability to charge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Personally, I am not ponying up $650 for a GPE phone. I guess I am holding out hope that the devs will crack this device and all will be well. It would be nice if phones would come dual boot with stock Android on one partition. Hopefully KLP would allow something like this, even though I doubt we would get a phone out of the box like this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Forgetting to plug in is only one scenario I mentioned not the only one. Trouble with rooting is you won't get quick updates as you would with gpe. Also some apps won't work in rooted phones such as Time Warner and NBA game time. Also security issues with Google wallet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech