Found a solution for "Device Only": "Trouble backing up item" in Google Photos

chawke

Jul 26, 2021
Visit site
I wanted to note for anyone who's encountered this error, since I haven't found a solution mentioned online yet (in fact, I only found the error mentioned at https://support.google.com/photos/thread/67074002/device-only-trouble-backing-up-item?hl=en):

If you encounter the error (like I did with a video on my Pixel), try moving it to the Locked folder, then move it back out (so it goes back to the Cloud-enabled folder you moved it from). The backup should then start. This worked for me.

Before that, I had tried moving it to a Cloud-disabled non-locked folder, then back to the Cloud-enabled folder, which usually works when an item in a Cloud-enabled folder for some reason hasn't been (and isn't being) backed up. But apparently with this specific error, that doesn't work.

Another Google Photos tip: if you want an item that has been backed up on the Cloud to no longer be on the Cloud, (1) move it to a Cloud-disabled folder, then (2) to the Locked folder, then (3) back out to the Cloud-disabled folder. Steps 2-3 are necessary because step 1 alone doesn't get rid of the Cloud backup.

Reactions: belodion