FoxFi on VZW

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't say for sure but hasn't Verizon put a stop to Foxfi a long time ago? I know as far back as my s3 once I got the newest update (what ever that was) Foxfi didn't work anymore

Posted via the Android Central App

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Foxfi (wifi hotspot/tethering) still works on the older devices like the Galaxy Nexus and most Samsung devices. See this list: FoxFi Devices. Kitkat and later versions supposedly killed it for most other devices.

However, USB tethering should still work.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Foxfi worked on my note 4. Doesn't work on the Nexus 6. No WiFi tethering app does I tried all I could find. Ended up going back into my account and adding the hot-spot feature to! Unlimited data for another 30, price sucks but I need it and didn't give up my unlimited data either.

dragon718

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I dont have a Nexus 6 yet, but it is more than likely an issue with the developer not having it updated to work either with the phone itself or Lollipop. When I got my G3 Foxfi didn't work at first but after a month or maybe a couple months it started working.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
An update may enable Foxfi to allow tethering.

@diesteldorf are you in a plan that allows Hotspot sharing/tethering?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
An update may enable Foxfi to allow tethering.

@diesteldorf are you in a plan that allows Hotspot sharing/tethering?

No, I am not, so I am just stating a fact and not really commenting on morality, if anyone wants to go there.

In my mind, it's just easier to use the stock tethering feature instead of Foxfi, so I used root access and a little help from XDA. My original post wasn't meant to be any kind of thread crap and I'm sure Verizon probably has ways to determine who may be tethering, using Foxfi etc. They just don't seem to be militant as AT&T.

I also realize that rooting is not for everyone.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
A couple big disclaimers:

I only tested my Nexus 6 with Verizon briefly and that was a week ago, so this may no longer work.
I currently have my Verizon service officially suspended WITHOUT BILLING, since I figured I could get the device much quicker by giving TMobile a whirl---I was right.

However, there is no way I will voluntarily give up Unlimited Data on Big Red.

Again, if you try this, proceed with caution:

If You have Root Explorer, go into the system files and edit the Build.prop file

add this line at the very end/bottom:

net.tethering.noprovisioning=true

Save changes and reboot. Also, Root explorer should automatically backup your original build.prop file, but make sure you have a backup regardless.

While I can't find the original thread at XDA, I want to make it clear that I don't deserve any credit for this.

Edit: Think I found it. Refer to Post #43:

Nexus 6 on Verizon - what works and what doe… - Pg. 5 | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

Also:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-maxx-rooting-roms-hacks/415581-native-tether-any-version.html

This Last thread appears to be primarily for Sprint Users but it may provide helpful info if the previous advice no longer works.

Sprint Nexus 6 Wifi Tethering *root* UPDATED… | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

Again, not trying to thread crap, Foxfi is good too.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are two places tethering can fail - between the tethered device and the phone (which is what's happening if USB tethering works and wifi tthering doesn't) and at the carrier - in which case any data that doesn't appear to be coming from, or going to, the phone you have registered, is "dropped on the floor". IOW, if you try to download an exe file with an Android device (because you have a Windows laptop tethered to it), Verizon just doesn't pass the file on to you. If you pay for tethering they don't look at what you're downloading - it could be an update for an AS-400, for all they care.

Richard Kwasneski

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I admit to being a novice at rooting and such, but what I can tell you is that you can run FoxFi on your Nexus 6 without rooting and such by putting it into developer mode, enabling USB debugging and putting PDANet on your laptop via USB tethering.