Free Tethering??

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Since this is a international phone is there also free tethering? Much like when the nexus one on tmobile they can't block tethering because it is completely stock android.

I'm talking without rooting and installing Cyanogenmod.

Anyone who OWNS a gsm galaxy nexus on usa tmobile should answer this...no hypothetical answers please.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Verified.

I've got the T-Mobile Monthly $30 plan (100 min, 5gb 4G data, Unlimited Text) and I'm connected to my GSM Nexus w/ my Galaxy Tab without a problem. Works great.

You simply go to Settings > More > Tethering & portable Hotspot > and check the box for Portable WiFi Hotspot.

You can also download a toggle widget from the market...though I have only found a trial version of 10 dollar software that works, so I'll have to keep investigating that one.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
HTC Sensation also has free tethering. I have used it dozens and dozens of times on my normal data plan and I have never seen a charge or invoice for tethering from Tmobile.

Granted, I am not watching Netflix on my laptop wile tethered.

ganklin

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
yup. just like how it was stated above in the setting. i played a round of mario kart tethered to it while commuting to work on the bus :)

whydidnt

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, for some reason it's not working for me on the $30 prepaid plan. It connects okay, but after about 30 seconds of use it stops. My PC is still connected to the phone, just no internet connection. I though T-Mobile must sniff the packets or something to see they are desktop and block me, but maybe I'll play around some more and see if I can figure it out.

Have others got this to work and surfed from a PC, not another Android device?

Edit: never mind..I just tried again it seems to be working. I'm posting this from my Macbook Air tethered to the Nexus on TMobile. Pretty nice. Maybe I'll drop the $30.00 monthly tethering on my Verizon plan!

Last edited:

ganklin

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
i have th eunlocked GSM on t-mo and it does indeed have tethering unlocked. i played mario kart on the 3DS online with it while on the bus and i loved it ahah

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You can also download a toggle widget from the market...though I have only found a trial version of 10 dollar software that works, so I'll have to keep investigating that one.
Switch Pro Widget is 99 cents and will give you the toggle. It is free from the developer's web site.

bryanus

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that tethering via GNex, data usage can't be calculated by T-Mobile?

I've recently switched from a Blackberry 200MB Simple Data plan, and to my surprise the data works on the GNex. T-Mobile told me I would have to call them to change something on tehir end from Blackberry to Android in order to get data, and actually, this was the case when I tried my SIM in a friends Vibrant; I couldn't get any data.

Now, logging into My T-Mobile, data usage shows 0 of 200MB for the month (19 days left) and my phone shows almost 200MBs already. I've only had the phone for about a week now and have been tethering a lot.

Is this what others are seeing?

I use about 8GB a month and no extra charges :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Laughing Man

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Why is this any different than any other tethering app?

If the default tethering is anything like the iPhone it's because the default will send a flag to the carrier. Not sure if it works like that though. Using a 3rd party app won't send the flag.

Not that it matters anyway. If the telecoms cared enough they can figure out who is tethering pretty easily.

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, for some reason it's not working for me on the $30 prepaid plan. It connects okay, but after about 30 seconds of use it stops. My PC is still connected to the phone, just no internet connection. I though T-Mobile must sniff the packets or something to see they are desktop and block me, but maybe I'll play around some more and see if I can figure it out.

Have others got this to work and surfed from a PC, not another Android device?

Edit: never mind..I just tried again it seems to be working. I'm posting this from my Macbook Air tethered to the Nexus on TMobile. Pretty nice. Maybe I'll drop the $30.00 monthly tethering on my Verizon plan!

This happens to me currently. I'm on a Monthly 4G plan with a unlocked Nexus. When I use the built in tether with my MacBook Pro it works for like 15 seconds.

Edit: It must have been the do not track header I enabled under safari developer settings

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk