Froyo DK28 Related Problems

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
With the news that Android 2.2 is delayed yet again for the Epic 4G, I decided that I wanted to update.

I've spent a few hours going through threads as I did not want to ask a question that has been asked a million times, but I fear that I have totally confused myself.

I have a totally stock Epic. No root, ROMs, etc.

Here is what I *think* that I know:

1) I think that I need to backup my phone. I have no clue how. I think that I may need to get ClockworkMod, but I'm not positive nor am I sure how to install it without needing to backup. :/

2) I need to then follow the instructions under "New: Restore to Froyo DK28" at this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/35212-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

3) I should follow the procedure for the Epic Lag Fix (EXT4) which roots with ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5 (which I need for step 1, so that I can backup so that I can do this... my head just exploded) at this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...-fix-rfs-ext4-now-w-clockwork-v3-0-0-5-a.html

4) I need to restore my settings with the backup.

If you would be so kind, please help alleviate my confusion. Thanks.

-Dan

1) Yes you can use MyBackUp Pro from the Market. The free versions of MyBackUp and Titanium require you to be rooted to use.

2.) Yes follow those instructions to install Froyo. Should only take a about 5-10 minutes to do once you start the process.

3.) Yes this will root and give you the EXT4 filesystem and install ClockWorkMod v.3.0.0.5 all in one neat package.

4.) Best option is once your done and flashed to your new ROM go download your apps again from the Market and then do a Data only restore. People have had troubles when restoring apps from Eclair to Froyo.

Read as you have done, become familar with the steps and screenshots provided so you know what to look for as you go through the motions and we will see you on the other side... Don't forget to download your ROM of choice before you begin and place it in your Root directory of your SD card before you begin.

Any questions, come on back and ask.

Reactions: danderson9

danderson9

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Paul! I'm feeling a lot better now. I just don't want to mess anything up and regret it.

Is there a ROM that you'd recommend? I'm really not familiar with any of them.

So here is my new path:

1) Root as described here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-roms-hacks/42178-rooting-ultimate-guide-v1-5-0-a.html

2) Get MyBackUp Pro from the Market

3) Backup then download a ROM and place it in the Root directory of the SD card

4) Follow the instructions under "New: Restore to Froyo DK28" at this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic...ked-phone.html

5) Follow the procedure for the Epic Lag Fix (EXT4) at this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/epic...3-0-0-5-a.html

6) Go to Clockwork, "wipe data/factory reset", select it, and then select "yes". "install zip from SD card", and select it. Go to the 2nd option on the next screen, "choose zip from sdcard", and select it. Now navigate to the zip file of the ROM, select the zip file, and then select "yes". Once done, reboot.

7) Download all my apps again from the Market and then do a Data only restore.

Am I missing anything or doing anything wrong?

Thanks again!

-Dan

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You have done your homework, time to take the test.

My personal preference is TrulyEpic Rebirth. Very simple layout and performance very well.

2nd place tie, Bonsai or midNIGHT

Good luck, hope to see you on the other side.

danderson9

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Odin3 on the Froyo part. I got the "md5 hash is invalid" error, and as suggested removed the .md5.

Now I am stuck on "setup connection" for what seems like an eternity. It said added as I inserted the USB cable, and it is in download mode.

Any ideas?

-Dan

danderson9

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Closed it, unplugged it, removed the battery, reinserted it, put it in download mode again, retried, and have now progressed beyond "SetupConnection"!
-Dan

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Try another USB port- try another (shorter) usb cord. don't know if either fixed my issues - but I did both and one way or the other that and removing the .md5 got it to work. I did not have to remove the pit file.

FYI: hate to say it- but trying backups from 2.1 to 2.2 with Ext4 I don't think will work well. Too many changes - I bit the bullet and left my backups behind...I really don't care- I'd rather have a phone that WORKS well and snappy than have high scores in angry birds... I also expect we'll have to reflash in 4-6 weeks approx due to an official build coming along anyway. So I'm not trying to get as attached to my apps n data currently. Yay cloud email and contacts!

Yes this sucks- yes Google and Android are DUMB AS ROCKS for not doing data+apps+non paid apps still tying to your google account none of which is backed up in the LEAST till 2.2 without root- you'd think they'd have worked this out a few VERSIONS ago...

PS: Paul- thanks for stepping in and helping all of us out with all the hackery that's been going on- Ragnarokx has been kinda a one man show around here! - oh and 1.5 theme ROCKS! Thanks.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You've never mentioned in this thread- are you restoring from a backup? If you can afford to- I'd try not to. Are you flashing any themes that may not be compatible?

Wipe fresh- do the full process w/ Odin - load froyo with all radios (except wifi) on, obtain GPS lock with leaked froyo build, then flash Truly Epic Rebirth, then flash 1.5 for a rockin theme.

Then download a better launcher :) - sorry Rag & Paul- but that AM dockless launcher just doesn't cut it compared to Zeam- which also is very resource light...but that's just my humble opinion.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I've been flashing them via Odin. I load th victory pit and the dk28 sph700 tar.

No backups..just flashing fresh from my laptop. Everytime I flash DI18 I works fine when I get done, so I know I'm flashing right.

Also, you're saying that I need to leave all my radios on before I flash via odin? As in leave my radios on, turn off my phone and put it in download mode, and then flash via Odin.

Also, how many different radios are there for DK28? I've flashed two different radios and both of them failed. The first one I flashed was the one that comes with DK28 and the other one wasb around 14MB.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Flash a radio? You just went over this rooting noob's head.

I'd read somewhere you need GPS lock BEFORE you install the DK28 or you MIGHT not have good GPS performance. (You're flashing the full update not just the modem correct?) So I had 4g, blutooth, gps radio toggles all active and locked prior to flashing DK28. Probably paranoia voodoo on my part.

As for a white sticker under the battery - yeah mine is white- I've had an Epic since launch day with a white sticker for whatever that's worth.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Idk....I followed the same procedure that I did with my old Epic befre this one....I just changed the zip folder to "update.zip", put it on my phone, loaded the rom, and as soon as it loads the touchscreen will just quit responding for a couple seconds and then randomly start working again. It will do his every couple of seconds and work fine for like 5 seconds, then freeze for like 5 seconds, then work again. Ive let it set like an hour before I've even touched it before and it still exhibits the same behavior.

All my radios work fine, and like I said I followed the exact same procedures that I did with my old Epic. Th same behaviors happen when I flash via odin. Here are the steps I take:

1. Put my phone in download mode
2. Load Odin up and put the victorypit foler on the pit section
3. Put the sph700n.tar file in the PDA section, then uncheck everything but auto-reset on the side.
4. Plug my phone in and flash.
5. Phone loads up with Froyo, and the behaviors start.

danderson9

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd tried it with and without the .pit file. I think the phone was simply locked up. After I took out the battery and retried it (with the .md5 extension removed), it worked. I was using a 3 inch cord (came with my Jawbone), so I couldn't have gone much shorter. ;)

Yeah, the backups didn't work well, but no biggie.

So I'm now a member of the club! For those wondering, here are the Quadrant numbers:

Before:957
After 2.2: 1074
After Ext4 and Bonsai: 2040!

Thanks again Paul. I couldn't have done it without you!

-Dan

mad2mont

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Update to Froyo

Hey everyone, So I just updated to Froyo monday from the stock rom and everything seems to run smoothly but now my battery is lasting very minimal time. I have programs downloaded that worked on the stock rom to make my battery last all day; (juice defender, auto kill, advanced task kill..) I did notice my programs won't kill and stay killed, every program pops back up and stays running. Anyone have any idea of have to resolve that?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Stock Froyo DK28 "leaked" has reported bad battery issues. I recommend if you going to stay on Froyo to root and go with a custom ROM. They all are using "tweaks" to improve battery life and its honestly not too bad. Its not as good as Eclair 2.1 but its close..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your welcome... Just passing on the same information that was provided to me for my first time.