full screen pop up ads

Malcom14

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
I agree with Northerwind these freakin full screen popup ads are not only annoying, but dangerous. I was in Google maps recently and one of these full screen ads popped up and silenced the volume on Google maps causing me to miss my turn and go 25 miles out of my way for no reason wasting gas
and time. I was in a new town. A full screen ad popped up as I was writing this
post. I tried the recent apps as someone suggested and the ad was within a YouTube window on my recent apps. I wonder if uninstalling the YouTube app and just using the YouTube browser version would solve the problem? My phone is a Moto z2 force.
I understand people want to get paid for ads. But, I'm almost to the point of going out of my way
to NEVER even consider using the company in the ad when I'm doing something important like driving directions.

QuickMemo+ shouldn't be the culprit. Its the default screenshot app on all LG phones. Ive used it for years and never had an issue.
I too just started having full screen ads pop up, which isnt only annoying, its dangerous. I had one pop up while flying my Phantom 4 at the worst possible time.
Ive uninstalled nearly every app I added over the past month and nothing seems to help. The only thing I can think of is it started right after I updated over 50 different apps. Narrowing down the issue has proven to be a massive pain in my ***.

Last edited:

Vikram Rawat1

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
If anyone still facing this pop up ad issue, please check if you see a small triangle at the top corner of the ads tap on it. If it says ad choices, these ads are mostly coming from facebook. If you go to Facebook and change the ad settings it will help.

willsp282012

Banned
Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
hey guys i have a similar problem, it usually happens at the home screen, ive ran anti virus ans malware turned up nothing, ive uninstalled most of my apps, im pretty sure i know what the culprit is and its been uninstalled with no change, so aparantly it has something left on my device, i really don't wanna reset my device if it's not gonna get rid of it, also ran ad scanners those said no adds present, all tha adds look the same but with random crap, also tryd the earlier suggestion to look at previously used apps, which showed the ad but no source, im thinking it could be coming after waking up the device, so next im gonna try to turn on the keep screen on, and see if that helps

ps i downloaded money making apps, app trailers, quick thoughts etc. not sure which one was to blame so i got rid of them all, so i would say probably not worth the pennies you make from those to be worth the headaches

Last edited by a moderator:

willsp282012

Banned
Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
hey guys i think i found the culprit, i am a beta tester, i had a unreleased app, after i got rid of that, the adds stopped, not 100% sure yet but looks promising, so obviously if im right that test went horribly wrong, and they will be hearing about it, and it's just a warframe app

Rocksister

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
If anyone still facing this pop up ad issue, please check if you see a small triangle at the top corner of the ads tap on it. If it says ad choices, these ads are mostly coming from facebook. If you go to Facebook and change the ad settings it will help.

Don't have Facebook but I have the problem big time. I installed Google's adblock browser. We'll see if it works.

SarahSoAwesome

Jul 25, 2018
Visit site
What ad settings do you have to change in Facebook? All I saw was to disable targeted ads, but they still pop up they're just not targeted towards me specifically.
It is Facebook that's doing it, when I open task manager the ad says it's Facebook

Jeffrey Ock

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
It's not youtube, if you open youtube and compare, the logo for the recently used app is YouTube, while the ad pop-up is Youtube, its subtle, but I dont think that its youtube

This was a reply to malcolm

cbrans

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem on both my htc one and on my wifes samsung s2 tablet. It is making my blood boil. I responded quite harshly to one of the ads from a local company.

GapDragon60

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
I found a solution. When the ads pop up. Hit your home button for few seconds to view resent apps if using 4.2 android or whatever technique to see recent apps.
You should see the ads along with recently used apps and the ads are generated by " network service" . go into settings-apps-all apps-scroll to network service and disable or deactivate. It will work. I had the same problem.
I believe it's malware but haven't investigated further why it happen. I will email Google on the issue..

Posted via Android Central App

Miy app that comes up last on the list is app launcher. I guess I will try another launcher.

jmspaggi

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Ok guys.

I'm having the exact same issue. Of course the list of running application doesn't help, because the ad closes itself too quickly to give me the time to see it. However, there is an (almost) simple way to find it!

To be able to run those ad, the application has to.... be running ;)

Restart your phone. All applications will be closed. No ads will be displayed.

Now, run one application, and nothing else, for the like 1h. Or maybe more. If no ad poped, then start a second one, and so on.

There is some "safe" applications that you can run any time! Currently I'm running Hangout, GMail, FB messenger, google Meet, google Store, the SMS application, Instagram, MétéoMedia, and I don't get any ad displayed.

I will start to run all my applications one by one, slowly, and wait for the ad.

Yes it's gonna take a while, but I tried ALL the applications listed on this thread and none of them found anything.

and BTW, it's not 7 minutes workout. I removed it and the ads were still showing.

I will update this thread when I will find the culprit.

jmspaggi

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
@GapDragon60 the recent apps list will not show anything. As soon as it goes in the background the application is killing itself. Maybe ADB can show it...

Ok. Small update.

I did a restart of my phone, no more ads popup. Perfect. Started to use it, starting new applications one after the other, like every hour, every thing. And then after some time, hop, ad again! I started only "legit" applications... The I removed from the list the most "trustable" applications (GMail, Hangout, etc.). The last on my list was Acrobat Reader... So I killed and removed Acrobat Reader, and only this application... All ads gone! I'm running the phone for hours without a single ad poping up! So I have started to launch all my usual games, and still no ad. It's weird. I re-installed Acrobat Reader, and still no ad. Why I'm suspecting is that sometime corrupted the Acrobat files. But removing the application, it cleared everything, and it's now clean again. I will keep an eye on all of that and report back here if those ads are back...

jace4655

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share what fixed this for me. I hit my windows button when popped up and I noticed a icon on the top left corner of the page. It's in the bar that the "X" is to close a page. Then I went to my manage apps page and looked for that icon. Sure enough, there it was, and its something I downloaded about a week ago. It laid dormant for a few days to confuse me into thinking it's a newer app. But, once it was deleted I've not had a single issue since.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share what fixed this for me. I hit my windows button when popped up and I noticed a icon on the top left corner of the page. It's in the bar that the "X" is to close a page. Then I went to my manage apps page and looked for that icon. Sure enough, there it was, and its something I downloaded about a week ago. It laid dormant for a few days to confuse me into thinking it's a newer app. But, once it was deleted I've not had a single issue since.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the tip! There's an easy trick to know the app related to that icon, long press it, tap the info icon and it'll open the app in the manager.

You can find more ideas to find which app is pushing those ads here.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=901497

jmspaggi

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Small update here. I was not really sure Acrobat was the issue. And ads are still show. So I went the ABD way. And there it is

Code:
root@t460s:/home/jmspaggiari/Téléchargements/android# adb shell "dumpsys window windows | grep -E 'mCurrentFocus|mFocusedApp'"
  mCurrentFocus=Window{d279e9e u0 com.gpscompass.navigation/com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity}
  mFocusedApp=AppWindowToken{733bcc6 token=Token{140e2a1 ActivityRecord{f73db08 u0 com.gpscompass.navigation/com.google.android.gms.ads.AdActivity t3480}}}

It'S my compas application doing that.

Steps:
- Configure your phone with dev options
- Activate USB debug
- Makes sure ADB servers recognize your phone
- Wait for the ad to popup
- Type "adb shell "dumpsys window windows | grep -E 'mCurrentFocus|mFocusedApp'""

This will show you which application is which application is there. Just remove!

eyeash

Nov 6, 2018
Visit site
So I have a LGL 158VL I am having trouble with full ads popping up. I have removed all my apps that can be removed. Almost like a brand new phone and then I reset it to factory so that all that it just had the apps from Google. Well I still have pop up ads. Do you think that LG has something hardcoded that causes pop ups. It is annoying as sometimes they pop up when there is no app running that I know of. Any advice other than getting a new phone.

Matt M3

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
Its from google chrome. Uninstall Google chrome and it will go away. I did it, and no more pop ups.
Our trusted Web browser is the one pushing the ads.

Try this...Close out every app.
Reopen Chrome...wait...then shut down the app(close it out). If the Ad pops up, its chrome.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirlysmith44