Future Smartphone Specs

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I was just wondering due to the fact that my phone seems as responsive as my desktop (i3 with 4GB DDR3) and in some cases faster, will we see 3GHz and 4GB RAM in our phones? What will we be doing with our phones that needs that kind of horse power? Android has to eventually hit the wall with how fast it can possibly be and will be in need of some killer app that requires that processing power. What do you think that feature will be?

Just felt like starting a discussion.

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i think that the CPU races are pretty pointless at this stage. its not like Android apps are very CPU intensive and more cores just ends up hurting battery life. basically all of the hardware upgrades seem to go towards making the UI faster/smoother and not so much making apps run faster. imo, RAM should be the main focus instead of increasing the number cores

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
i think that the CPU races are pretty pointless at this stage. its not like Android apps are very CPU intensive and more cores just ends up hurting battery life. basically all of the hardware upgrades seem to go towards making the UI faster/smoother and not so much making apps run faster. imo, RAM should be the main focus instead of increasing the number cores

I agree about the ram, but more cores does not necessarily mean less battery life. Especially under moderate to heavy loading.

Multitasking, adding features, and responsiveness should be the overall focus from now on.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I kind of have to agree, too. Just continue to tweak the OS and slow down on the hardware arms race. Maybe encourage more devs to write their apps with multi cores in mind. I was just playing with my girlfriend's EVO 4G (The original with Sense) and was quite surprised to find how snappy it still is, even compared to my Sensation (CM10.)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
64-bit ARM and there 2GHz yet to cross

I kind of have to agree, too. Just continue to tweak the OS and slow down on the hardware arms race. Maybe encourage more devs to write their apps with multi cores in mind. I was just playing with my girlfriend's EVO 4G (The original with Sense) and was quite surprised to find how snappy it still is, even compared to my Sensation (CM10.)

Since Honeycomb there require to do networking on seperate thread. Lot of things are done in sperate thread, thing is multithreading it's not so easy as people think, biggest problem is fact that you can't direcly modify UI from other thread then main one, so in general all you can do on sperate threads is some processing while UI doing it's work on single core.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George Brian