FYI before u load up the gb leak.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If u are rooted this does not apply to u if your not rooted keep reading. If u have not loaded up the leak yet u might want to think twice before u load it. As of this posting there is no way to root the leak or go back the previous mr2 update. So in short u are stuck with this update until someone finds a way to root it. The other issue is if u need to return the phone to Verizon chances are they wont help u.
So u have been warned and u might want to think twice before flashing this.

Reactions: honjull and FrankXS

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The RUU for the Official update will work when it comes out
Yes but until then u are stuck and we all know how updates go it could be here next week or 2 mounths for now. Also the chatter over at xda is the gb update will not be easily rooted if its rooted at all.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm just going to wait a couple days to make sure there are no major issues, then i'll try it out. I don't have any plans of rooting but since there's no way back, I want to make sure it works ok first.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Guess I'm not worried another routing anymore. Since switching to HTC devices over given up on that. And my device is used so I have no warranty. Used as in I'm the second owner.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
My spidey senses were tingling this morning when I read about this leak. So I went over to XDA to check it out further and found out it isn't the final build and also that there were some other issues with it. Unfortunately, I think many are so goo-goo for GB, they threw all caution out the window and just jumped on this leak without much consideration. That's way beyond my comfort zone since my Thunderbolt has been rock solid and just works since the MR2 update. I'll wait until there is a "final" and "official" GB RUU that has release keys from Verizon and HTC, the same version that will match the official OTA. Even then, I'm NOT jumping on it right away like I did with MR2 (which was much needed to fix the rebooting issue).

Reactions: dostie1

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think many are so goo-goo for GB, they threw all caution out the window and just jumped on this leak without much consideration.
Exactly. I might understand that on a plain vanilla Google Android device. Because you are literally using the GB interface. But, with a phone with HTC Sense on it, you're not gonna outwardly see hardly any difference at all. Some under the hood stuff, yes. And I too think GB is totally worth it. But, don't expect to be mesmerized if you're using HTC Sense. HTC Sense is gonna mask any changes you might have seen on a pure Google Android phone. So... no rush. Wait till they get it right. It's only the undercarriage to HTC Sense. Unless you are goo-goo, that is :)

-Frank

Reactions: dostie1

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
this information has been known, there was a thread posted weeks ago that the gb ota blocks all known root methods and it has been mentioned many times before that you cannot revert to an older software without root. Granted,this isn't the official OTA, but it's a fully signed ruu. But, most likely, most people didn't see it or did not think it to be important at the time.

Reactions: anon(394005)

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Being this wasnt an official version, how will people upgrade from it? When I got mine and my wifes phone, it had some weird previously leaked version of software on it even though they were brand new. Neither of them would update OTA and both had to be updated with the official RUU

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to jump on these unofficial official updates on my old droid and never had a problem but htc phones are so buggy I'm in no hurry to try anything new on this one. I'll stall from taking the ota as long as possible. It will probably have to force update b4 I take it.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Being this wasnt an official version, how will people upgrade from it? When I got mine and my wifes phone, it had some weird previously leaked version of software on it even though they were brand new. Neither of them would update OTA and both had to be updated with the official RUU

They'll have to download the final official RUU when it's available and flash the phone again.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My spidey senses were tingling this morning when I read about this leak. So I went over to XDA to check it out further and found out it isn't the final build and also that there were some other issues with it. Unfortunately, I think many are so goo-goo for GB, they threw all caution out the window and just jumped on this leak without much consideration. That's way beyond my comfort zone since my Thunderbolt has been rock solid and just works since the MR2 update. I'll wait until there is a "final" and "official" GB RUU that has release keys from Verizon and HTC, the same version that will match the official OTA. Even then, I'm NOT jumping on it right away like I did with MR2 (which was much needed to fix the rebooting issue).

I am one who is goo-goo for GB, but generally, I don't like installing anything that I can't uninstall. So I am still going to wait for the OTA release. I guess that makes me a chicken goo-goo.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm wondering what those issues were I've been on my device the entire day and haven't came up with an single bug or anything buggy at all. I mean there still could be one I just haven't found it.

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Nah the changes are actually quite dramatic anything that used to take time to load now loads instantly. For example try pulling up Widgets on Froyo (I'll wait..). Really this phone flys now at all the points I had an issue with on Froyo.

Last edited:

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes but until then u are stuck and we all know how updates go it could be here next week or 2 mounths for now. Also the chatter over at xda is the gb update will not be easily rooted if its rooted at all.

Doubtful. Usually I notice completed scratch builds usually leak between 2 weeks to a month before the the official OTA is pushed. In other words, once the manufacturer submits their final build to the carrier for testing, somehow their scratched builds get leaked.

I know that HTC has had at least two scratched builds for Gingerbread on the Thunderbolt.