G3 Redux

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I purchased two G3s for my household when it was first released. They gave us a myriad of problems from overheating, brightness throttling, freezing, dull screen, ridiculously rapid battery drain, massive redrawing, apps hesitating to open. We returned them within a week.
This week a colleague brought a new G3 and asked me to help her set it up and tutor her on all things Android. She had been an Apple soldier and this was her first foray into mobile outer space.
My first instinct was to warn her of the problems I had with two G3s months ago . But I decided to go ahead and walk her through it and let her approach me as she encountered issues on her own.
She had to go to a meeting and asked me to hold on to the device until she returned.
So I busied myself downloading necessary apps for her and setting up a beginner's home screen.
As I worked I came to the realization that the device, after over 20 minutes, hadn't gotten warm at all and the screen was exceptionally bright and sharp. I figured the brightness had to be near 100, but it was at 50! And it was beautiful! I couldn't believe it.
I began to test the the opening of apps and they opened quicker than my former G3s. Scrolling was buttery fluid. There was no redrawing.
This was too good to be true. I had to make sure this was actually a G3.
Then I went to the YouTube app. I was determined to make this thing overheat and I knew YouTube wouldn't let me down. I had to bang out some work so I uploaded an hour long video and let it play as I worked, keeping an eye out for the overheating warning popup box that was sure to rear it's ugly head as it had done so regularly on my G3s.
To my astonishment, after an hour, the device was still cool to the touch and the screen brightness hadn't throttled! I said to myself "She must have bought a reverse lemon!"
I played a couple of intense games and no overheating!
I was floored by what I was seeing. This thing was performing like a champ. I placed a call to my wife and the call quality was great on both ends. Our G3s had a tinny, hollow sound. But this G3 sounded much warmer. And much better volume.
Had LG actually made wholesale improvements to the G3? Was this not a fluke?
I would say, "Long story, short" but since that doesn't apply to this post at this point, suffice to say that I'm composing this on my brand new LG G3!
LG is serious. They mean business.
The fit and finish on this G3 is impeccable. The seams are so tight you'd have no clue that the rear cover comes off. And it's physique is gorgeously tapered. Not a false note to be found anywhere across its planes. Unless, of course you're with Verizon and have to contend with Verizon graffiti on the front AND back.
I am thoroughly impressed. The G3 stands shoulder to shoulder with any mobile you can place beside it. Anything.
Do I regret my fervent dismissal of the G3 months ago? Nope because in my opinion it was an unmitigated mess.
Samsung need not concern itself with what Apple is doing here on earth. There's a real threat closer to home in outer space.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's interesting reading threads on her about people with hot phones and dim screens with lag. I don't have these issues and while I don't consider myself very lucky, I know that the majority of G3 owners do not suffer from any of these issues.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The baffling thing is why some users are plagued by problems with a particular device and others are not. The same is true after updates. Running Android 5.0 on my Nexus 5 has caused a marked reduction in battery life, while other users have the same as before, or better. You try everything you can think of to identify the cause of the problem, but the chances are you'll fail.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's interesting reading threads on her about people with hot phones and dim screens with lag. I don't have these issues and while I don't consider myself very lucky, I know that the majority of G3 owners do not suffer from any of these issues.
There was certainly the afore mentioned problems with the device that some users experienced. There were real issues. Users didn't band together and decide they'd all make up the same lies. Because your device fortunately didn't have any problems doesn't negate the veracity of anyone else's issues.
The Verizon stores in NYC related that they got tons of complaints about those problems. In fact one manager said that the G3 was his most returned or exchanged device over the summer due to the problems people were experiencing.
Obviously LG has put in work and addressed those shortcomings.
And you're probably correct about the majority of G3 owners not having problems with their devices, but that doesn't negate those that did. It's no different than if you bought a new car and it began to give you problems. You take it to the dealer and he tells you that no one else has complained of the problem you're experiencing. Does that prove you're imagining things? Are you going to get back in your defective car and go back home? No, you're gonna tell the dealer you don't care that no one else has reported the problems you are having. You want your car repaired.
LG has put in work and definitely improved the LG G3.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The baffling thing is why some users are plagued by problems with a particular device and others are not. The same is true after updates. Running Android 5.0 on my Nexus 5 has caused a marked reduction in battery life, while other users have the same as before, or better. You try everything you can think of to identify the cause of the problem, but the chances are you'll fail.

That's the great mystery. My guess is assembly line parts are man made so there are bound to be flaws here and there. Some devices get the defective parts. The majority most likely don't. Automakers have massive recalls regularly due to defective parts or manufacturing mistakes.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That's the great mystery. My guess is assembly line parts are man made so there are bound to be flaws here and there. Some devices get the defective parts. The majority most likely don't. Automakers have massive recalls regularly due to defective parts or manufacturing mistakes.

I think that's most likely to be the explanation. We assume that two specimens of a thing that look the same must surely be the same, but of course, we're wrong to do so.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
There was certainly the afore mentioned problems with the device that some users experienced. There were real issues. Users didn't band together and decide they'd all make up the same lies. Because your device fortunately didn't have any problems doesn't negate the veracity of anyone else's issues.
The Verizon stores in NYC related that they got tons of complaints about those problems. In fact one manager said that the G3 was his most returned or exchanged device over the summer due to the problems people were experiencing.
Obviously LG has put in work and addressed those shortcomings.
And you're probably correct about the majority of G3 owners not having problems with their devices, but that doesn't negate those that did. It's no different than if you bought a new car and it began to give you problems. You take it to the dealer and he tells you that no one else has complained of the problem you're experiencing. Does that prove you're imagining things? Are you going to get back in your defective car and go back home? No, you're gonna tell the dealer you don't care that no one else has reported the problems you are having. You want your car repaired.
LG has put in work and definitely improved the LG G3.

You seem to be arguing with yourself on this one. I'm not disregarding the malfunctioning hardware you or others have, I was only pointing out that it is the minority and you yourself went and bought another G3 based on that idea of "getting a good one".

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if I am lucky or not.....never had any of the issues that some have described.
I watched the entire snoozer of a football game last night on my phone and it didn't even get warm (was at 70% brightness by the way).
I will be picking up my new Red G3 this weekend, I hope it performs as well as my black G3 has.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My g3 was manufactured in November and I have 0 problems that I've been reading about since its summer release.

I think the first batches had a lot of duds

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You also have to assume that manufacturers have to source their components from different vendors. LG provides the specs, the vendor builds. The vendors makes the component, but different vendors may manufacture quality, others maybe not. Our phone's have a myriad of components to make things work. We all may have different components, from different vendors within our phones. That would account for some phone's may have an issue, versus others that don't experience the same.