G5 owners - happy or not?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As far as phones with removable batteries go, swapping out batteries is tougher on the G5 than on pretty much any phone I've owned (the last 2 being a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy S5). It will be interesting to see a year from now if the phones don't start breaking due to battery swaps.

There is a technique to it.... Once you get it, its a breeze

Posted via the Android Central App

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. In fact I think they spell it out with instructions when you receive the battery/charging cradle.

The fact that you have to have a "technique" to it demonstrates my point even further. It's a part that could be prone to breakage with inattentiveness or wear over time. The Verizon salesman almost broke it trying to get it out, and he had to go back, read the manual, and watch a video before he came back out. I didn't need a manual or video for any of my or my friend's Galaxy phones (Galaxy S3, S4, S5, and Note 3).

Don't get me wrong, I will upgrade soon to the G5 soon (from my Galaxy S5), and the removable battery is the most important factor in my decision.. The battery removal just worries me in the long run.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The fact that you have to have a "technique" to it demonstrates my point even further. It's a part that could be prone to breakage with inattentiveness or wear over time. The Verizon salesman almost broke it trying to get it out, and he had to go back, read the manual, and watch a video before he came back out. I didn't need a manual or video for any of my or my friend's Galaxy phones (Galaxy S3, S4, S5, and Note 3).

Don't get me wrong, I will upgrade soon to the G5 soon (from my Galaxy S5), and the removable battery is the most important factor in my decision.. The battery removal just worries me in the long run.

I'm sorry that something different with explicit instructions isn't good enough for you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Its really not that big a deal

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Its really not that big a deal

Apparently it is to them. I have a couple of points though.

A. They don't own the phone.

B. To be a device they say they're gonna purchase and have yet to do so, they sure are complaining about it. I just question whether it's the right fit for them.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Apparently it is to them. I have a couple of points though.

A. They don't own the phone.

B. To be a device they say they're gonna purchase and have yet to do so, they sure are complaining about it. I just question weather it's the right fit for them.

True dat

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry that something different with explicit instructions isn't good enough for you.

My original comment was to another poster who said "The battery swap is easier than any phone". I quoted them. I stand by my original comment that it clearly is not. Feel free to refute that argument.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My original comment was to another poster who said "The battery swap is easier than any phone". I quoted them. I stand by my original comment that it clearly is not. Feel free to refute that argument.

That would depend on your prior phone. I had Motorola phones in the past and though a different process it was a two stage scenario like most phones. You had to slide off a cover.... Some were easier than others.... Then you had to either look for a battery pull tab or pry out the battery. Next step was to put it back In reverse order.
In the G5, I can actually swap it out faster. Push release and pull module.... Push pull battery to remove.... snap in new battery.....insert module. Much smoother process.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, I read your post. And I read the post that you responded to. It's kinda a public forum.

Just trying to give a different perspective. I'll leave you alone if you wish.

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I read your post. And I read the post that you responded to. It's kinda a public forum.

Just trying to give a different perspective. I'll leave you alone if you wish.

"G5 owners - Happy or not?"

Some are happy, some not.

I don't own one, but still happy for a unique device (even though can't accomodate to full touch screen devices).

Typical bashing style (especially from people who still don't own one), don't feel bad because of them.

As LG told in past advertising: Life's Good

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been extremely happy with my G5. I enjoy the interfaceas it is not overwhelming. I love the always on display as it shows me every notification that come in. The fit and finish is very good. I had a build issue with my first one but his second one is great. The camera is sweet especially the wide angle lens.

I haven't been able to put it down. I have an S7 edge and I want to go back and try it again but my LG keeps telling me no. Lol.

As for the battery swap I myself find it very easy to switch battery's. I do it every few days with out issue.

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
... I love the always on display as it shows me every notification that come in...

Thanks for the input.

Since you've been mentioning the notifications (showing up on the always on screen), it's up to the developer team to integrate this feature into their software, or is this an Android / Marshmallow thing?

Thanks.

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Overall I like mine, very fast and the screen is really nice. Feels nice and battery is quite good.

Two gripes:
1) Build quality of the power button - just does not feel right.
2) Build quality of the battery slot - just does not fit right, small gaps and ridges.

IMO they should have just did an aluminum build with a duraskin back (like the V10). I have zero interest on an "friends" that require the slot. I will keep it for a couple months and then move on (like I usually do).

ccap

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I have been using a G5 for a few weeks now. While the edge of the battery open is not perfect, the rest of the unit is great. It's fast does what I want and I really love the wide angle camera option. I don't know why so many people are not picking and crying about this phone.

In fact I thought I wanted to change out the unit and I now have a S7 edge sitting on my desk. But the more I think about it, I'm going to return the edge, especially now that my sister's is cracked from having in her pocketbook and reading an article of a 4 inch drop and the phone is ruined. The edge idea is an accident waiting to happen.

I don't want to worry about my phone getting damaged for simple use.

Oh and I just got my battery charger and xtra battery. Just swapped out my battery. It's awesome knowing I can do this. Didn't think it would be a big deal until I did it. Awesome.

Typed on LG G5

Maseroche

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I got mine day before yesterday and so far I am really happy with it. Was waiting for the HTC 10 but last minute change of heart saw me get this one instead. Well, as soon as I put my sim card in there and done the updates, I was surprised to find that I had three options to choose from for the Home settings. The normal G5 Home settings with no app drawer, Easy Home which you guys know, and a third Home & App Drawer option! That pretty much took care of my one and only negative point when deciding on the G5.

Maybe we get different versions over here? I'm in Bahrain by the way. But so far I am loving this phone and the camera is seriously good. The finish is not as bad as some makes it out to be. The fit and finish on that removable part is also pretty good. Coming from an IPhone 6S Plus, I think I have made a good decision. My carrier also gave me a few LG camera module, an extra battery and charger from LG and a 250MB memory card.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I got mine day before yesterday and so far I am really happy with it. Was waiting for the HTC 10 but last minute change of heart saw me get this one instead. Well, as soon as I put my sim card in there and done the updates, I was surprised to find that I had three options to choose from for the Home settings. The normal G5 Home settings with no app drawer, Easy Home which you guys know, and a third Home & App Drawer option! That pretty much took care of my one and only negative point when deciding on the G5.

Maybe we get different versions over here? I'm in Bahrain by the way. But so far I am loving this phone and the camera is seriously good. The finish is not as bad as some makes it out to be. The fit and finish on that removable part is also pretty good. Coming from an IPhone 6S Plus, I think I have made a good decision. My carrier also gave me a few LG camera module, an extra battery and charger from LG and a 250MB memory card.

250 MB!:eek: Very jealous.

Welcome into the fold. Had mine since April 3rd. It's a great device.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

We all have those home screen options.....the 3rd option you mention is an older UI

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I posted my review in the Phone Survey thread when I first received it. Since then, I have continued to use the G5 and tried the HTC 10. I have grown to really like the G5, despite some shortcomings, and sent the 10 back. I still have the S7 Edge, but really enjoy using the G5. I have a few days left before I have to return it (if that is what I decide to do), but suspect that I will keep it. I was not even planning to try the G5 based on the reviews and some of the comments in this forum, but I am glad I did. I have no intention of using the other modules (other than getting an extra battery), but it is a solid device. It is significantly better than the 10 in many ways, at least in my opinion. The high praise for the 10 is more based on how disappointing HTC has been and the reviewers being pleased to see HTC moving forward. It does not come close to the S7 Edge and is not as good as the G5. Again, that is my opinion and there are some rabid 10 fans/users who would strongly disagree.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I posted my review in the Phone Survey thread when I first received it. Since then, I have continued to use the G5 and tried the HTC 10. I have grown to really like the G5, despite some shortcomings, and sent the 10 back. I still have the S7 Edge, but really enjoy using the G5. I have a few days left before I have to return it (if that is what I decide to do), but suspect that I will keep it. I was not even planning to try the G5 based on the reviews and some of the comments in this forum, but I am glad I did. I have no intention of using the other modules (other than getting an extra battery), but it is a solid device. It is significantly better than the 10 in many ways, at least in my opinion. The high praise for the 10 is more based on how disappointing HTC has been and the reviewers being pleased to see HTC moving forward. It does not come close to the S7 Edge and is not as good as the G5. Again, that is my opinion and there are some rabid 10 fans/users who would strongly disagree.

The only reason to pick the 10 that I can see is the audio if that is a big deal for anyone.....not for me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson