Gaining Root on the Precedent

skipbales

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
The .ops file contained in the download link is SCH-M828C.ops not SPHM820.ops called for in the readme instructions. The root seemed to work with the ops file in the zip folder but something is wrong. I can't install Barnacle Tether and get a variety of errors. Where can I get a copy of SPHM820.ops?

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The .ops file contained in the download link is SCH-M828C.ops not SPHM820.ops called for in the readme instructions. The root seemed to work with the ops file in the zip folder but something is wrong. I can't install Barnacle Tether and get a variety of errors. Where can I get a copy of SPHM820.ops?

there is no difference between the 2 ops files, they are identical other than name, since the prevail and the precedent are pretty much identical inside, minor differences in modem,wifi, bluetooth, display drivers if the only things, if your getting errors, try going into the recovery and doing a factory wipe this will clear the entire system memory and cache and you will have a clean install, then boot up and put in your gmail info to sync and start from there

kyo69

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
hey whats up? been reading this whole thread n im thinking bout doin this odin root but like the last user said he found an issue with that one file ( ops) i ko that the prevail n precedent is pretty much the same but im like wow why there gotta be some issues with it still even when u get rooted? .....issues with wifi bluetooth n display issues?.....what exactly would be missing...what i wont have wifi i wont see certain things or icons on my screen? id just like to kno what i would loose cause this low memory icon is driving me up the wall n id like to get some of my apps i took off back on my precedent, thanks for ur time n info

kyo69

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
i noticed ur instructions are a lil extra towards the end of the odin root...then the one in the read me file...is there a major difference? cause in the read me file it said not to click to boot file unless ur phone is really messed up...so which directions will be best...i dont feel my precedent is that messed up if that

kyo69

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Step 1
Unzip and install the Samsung Drivers,

Step 2
Back Up all the Important stuff

Step 3
While step 2 is happening Unzip Straight Talk Factory Root Odin

Step 4
Backups complete, Turn off phone put in download mode by holding Vol Down, Camera, Power till you see Downloading In Yellow

Plug USB Cable into Phone

Open the Odin .exe file in the straighttalkroot that you unzipped in step 3

click the ops button and put the file in that says sch****.ops

Click the Boot Button and click on boot.tar
click phone and click on phone.tar
click pda and click on pda.tar

under the first box at top it will say comport something it will be lit up in a off yellow with some numbers in it now click start and it will do the rest the phone will reboot before the program is finished its ok once the phone is at the homescreen you can unplug it and close odin,

now before you start setting it back up you need to turn it off and put it in recovery mode by holding Vol Up, Camera and Power, once you see the yellow screen with reboot install update from zip factory reset use the vol down to highlight factory reset and press the camera button next screen will have an arse load of no's and one silly lil Yes you need to highlight yes and press camera again, now it will come back to the main menu restart or reboot highlighted press camera and wait for phone to boot up, once it is up you can put in your gmail and setup all your apps and stuff I hope this helps.

hey i noticed ur directions is a lil different than the one in the read me file whats the difference is this to get a clean start or did the read me file miss some steps

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try http:Samsung Precedent Rooting Files

You'll find three different root files (they all work), the XP drivers (7 installs them itself when you plug the phone in) and Gingerbread if you want to install it. (If you're installing GB, don't bother with rooting - the GB ROM is already rooted.) If you've never installed CWM, use the GB with CWM file. If you have CWM installed, you can use the plain GB file and use CWM to install it.

tbpartyman

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
the link for the odin method is no longer working do to FBI piracy lawsuit can anyone help me i tried one click and i think i have to be connected to the internet for it to work bc it says server not found daemon inactive and i cant find an odin rom anywhere pls help thanx in advance for anyone who helps along the way

pebbleswm

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm a total newbie to all of this so pleas forgive me! I've successfully rooted my precedent with Odin, and downloaded Titanium Backup (free version), so now how the heck to I move my apps to my sd and get more room for more apps?! I've read about the AreaRom, but I'm a little nervous to do it without knowing exactly what I'm doing! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) The AreaROM people maintain a chat server. Connect with them (there's a link on their site, if you don't do IRC) and talk to them. If you have a problem they'll sit with you and try to get it fixed. But, aside from waiting for that first boot (it takes a while, so you might chew off a few fingers), it should go smoothly.

2) Format the SD card to have an ext4 partition before you install the ROM (I use a 2GB partition) and you won't have to worry about space for apps for a few years.

pebbleswm

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Now how do I go about partitioning? I've been googling it, but, there's so much info out there that it's totally overwhelming! Like I said, I'm a total newbie to all of this, and I want to make sure I don't screw anything up! Any links or anything would be much appreciated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mervy333