Galaxy A01 adaptable storage android update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello all,

have a bit of an issue with a Galaxy A01. when it was new and running android 10, formatted an SD as internal memory, moved pics, music and some apps on it.

Yesterday updated to android 11 and the apps on the SD stopped working.

What can I do to run the apps again?
- reinstalled one, it doesn't work. App still not running.

Would reformatting the SD as internal under android 11 work?
Is there another update to download? Or revert back to android 10 (that's cumbersome and requires flashing right?)

Yes I know about the recommendation not to use an SD as internal memory but will still use it as that makes the phone a lot more workable.

Thank you for any answer in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How did you format the card as Internal Storage? As far as I know, Samsung has never officially supported Adoptable Storage. There was a workaround using ADB commands, but doing this is at your own risk.

The biggest problem with formatting a card as Internal Storage is that if/when the card fails (which is more prone to happen with SD cards vs onboard storage), the system can crash and you can lose app data. Once you format a card as Internal Storage, it becomes encrypted to that device alone, so no other device can read the data on it. If the card fails, then there's really no recovering it.

I hate to say it, but if you need more internal storage, your best approach is to get a new phone with more storage. The A01 is a very low-end budget device, and should not be expected to do more than the very basic things, with relatively few apps installed.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

gr3g0ree

Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
Posting a quick update: Managed to reformat the SD card and looks like it works. No issues with readin it, but following the same adbb comand steps to format part of it as internal memory did not work.
I guess need to trial and error more to see what works, what doesn't.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Posting a quick update: Managed to reformat the SD card and looks like it works. No issues with readin it, but following the same adbb comand steps to format part of it as internal memory did not work.
I guess need to trial and error more to see what works, what doesn't.
Try XDA maybe they can give some tips

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome