Galaxy gear smart watch worth it?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
question.....can the watch be worn either way? with the camera strap on the inside of your wrist, toward your body, instead of pointing out.......might be handy for situations where the camera visible is not good......just a thought, mine is coming early next week......

not inside as in against your skin.....but just flip the phone around and secure the clasp upside down....does the screen rotate?

I don't see a way for the screen to rotate on the Gear, so I don't think that it can be worn with the camera toward your body instead of facing out. It would be a good suggestion for Samsung, though, since many people have this concern.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Is this all you see? Can't scroll down more?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Actually, you can scroll down and read the read the rest of the body of the email. You cannot respond, but you get much more than is displayed in that pic.

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't see a way for the screen to rotate on the Gear, so I don't think that it can be worn with the camera toward your body instead of facing out. It would be a good suggestion for Samsung, though, since many people have this concern.

It's blocked by the software, when the watch is in it's charging dock the screen rotates.

Posted via Android Central App

octobermagic

Jun 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
I use smartphones because I like to be able to browse the internet

I understand what you're saying, but this to me is still being connected all the time. We all desire it, we just need to pick and choose the form factor that suits us. For you, the watch may be overkill. I get that, I just don't buy the "don't need to be connected all the time" logic.

octobermagic

Jun 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
If this were an Apple product, you'd be panning it and Jonny Ive would be fired if he had a hand in designing it.

Not me. I have a 5S AND a Nokia 1020. Apple makes some of the best working, beautifully designed stuff out there. I was referring to all those reviewers stepping over themselves in a hurry to trash the gear, primarily, I believe, because it's a Samsung product.

Case in point, with the S4, i heard more about the "slimy feel" of the back of the phone more that any other part of the phone.

Gruber would've had his nuts tied around his macbook to write about this, if it were an Apple product.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, but this to me is still being connected all the time. We all desire it, we just need to pick and choose the form factor that suits us. For you, the watch may be overkill. I get that, I just don't buy the "don't need to be connected all the time" logic.

I'm a big fan of the Gear. I just presented a scenario where some people wouldn't benefit from the Gear as much as others would

octobermagic

Jun 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
I'm a big fan of the Gear. I just presented a scenario where some people wouldn't benefit from the Gear as much as others would

Absolutely spot on. The only thing I really wish what was different right now about the gear is that I'm tied to the Note 3, or Samsung altogether. Still love the phone, but I do have to bring it everywhere now. Where there are days I'd like the HTC one, or the 1020. I just find the Gear too convenient to have now.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely spot on. The only thing I really wish what was different right now about the gear is that I'm tied to the Note 3, or Samsung altogether. Still love the phone, but I do have to bring it everywhere now. Where there are days I'd like the HTC one, or the 1020. I just find the Gear too convenient to have now.

@octobermagic: Like you, I believe your comments are the only "functionality" the Gear is missing, and I don't think functionality is the real issue. The so called professional reviewers have knocked the Gear for being limited in functionality, and from the comments that many people post on this and other forums (a majority who do not actually own one), most are just repeating what they heard some reviewer say.

The Gear is NOT limited in functionality by any stretch of the imagination. After all, what more do people think a smartwatch is supposed to do that the Gear is not already doing, and doing well?

In my opinion, if the Gear is limited in anything; I would say it's the fact that it's not compatible with other Android devices. Samsung has made the choice to limit the Gear to the GN3 at launch, with possible compatibility with the GS3, GS4, and the Note 2 at a later time. They have their reasons for making this decision, and as a company they have the right to do so. However, I wish they had made another choice. I wish they had made the Gear compatible with handsets from other OEM's, thus allowing folks like me who own several phones, by several different OEM's, to have the freedom to switch up whenever I like, and still be able to use the Gear. Like you, and everyone else who owns the Gear, we have to always use the GN3 if we want to use our smartwatch.

I don't know if Samsung had problems convincing other OEM's like HTC, LG, Sony, and others to partner with them in this endeavor, and so decided to go it alone. After all, these are all competitors, and they wouldn't want to make it easy for Samsung. Or maybe Samsung decided this was a way to ensure people would be locked into their ecosystem, and thus further separate themselves from their competition? No one really knows. People can only speculate. But no matter the reason, the Galaxy Gear IS a full featured smartwatch. The ability to read email, read and respond to text messages, make and receive calls, snap photos and shoot video, touchscreen technology on a vibrant color display, all packaged with premium materials, and outstanding battery life, make the Galaxy Gear in my opinion worth every bit of it's $299 price tag.

jaredberrett

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
That looks a lot better than what I'd expected. And you're so right, people give reviews on things they have not even had access to yet. Thanks for your post. I'd love to get one of these watches, but I just bought the Note 3 and if I want to stay married I'll wait a bit. BTW, how do you charge it when power is low? - Thanks... JB

jaredberrett

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Great thread which brings up a conundrum I've had about the hardware. The Gear has to be within a certain range of the GN3 I presume, that must be a given. Therefore, how did you secure your GN3 while running? Pocket, armband, other? This "phablet" is phenomenal and I feel like I learn something new about it every day. Thanks for posting DAS. You're the kind of guy who seems like he'd be a good friend. -JB

jaredberrett

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
So does the Gear play MP3 music as well? That would be really cool. Is there a way to stream music through some kind of speaker on the watch? Also... **** Tracy ain't got nuttin on dis thing. -JB

jaredberrett

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
How can you say "not much value there" if you don't actually own one?

Despite what the so called professional reviewers say, you should check out the Gear forums or other threads on this forum and read the comments of those who actually have the device.

I paid $299 for mine and the value is more than there. The ability to read email, read and respond to text, make and receive phone calls, take photos and short videos, and even be notified of traffic conditions and FB post all without ever picking up your phone is quite a value.

All this in a stylish and professional package with amazing battery life makes the GG one of the best values of the year.

Here are of just a few of the pictures taken with the Gear

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That looks a lot better than what I'd expected. And you're so right, people give reviews on things they have not even had access to yet. Thanks for your post. I'd love to get one of these watches, but I just bought the Note 3 and if I want to stay married I'll wait a bit. BTW, how do you charge it when power is low? - Thanks... JB

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Wish I has saw this before I got my GG to go with my Note 3. My wife is sleeping on the other side of the bed because of the GG.. No chit.. She is mad, called me selfish and all that crap.. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred