Galaxy Nexus Sudden Loss of Mobile Service Capability

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Would doing that reinstall/ or fix the baseband being "unknown"? Or should I try to like reinstall the baseband?

See if this method fixes the problem and if the radio still continues to have a problem then install the baseband like how you install the rom

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
GetRIL doesn't work for me either but with changing the ROM.
1. Open up Google Nexus Toolkit -> Select 7 (as GSM 4.1.2. Model) -> Then Select 6 (Flash Recovery)
2. Once Recovery is installed, shut off the device and then hold and press Power + Volume Up + Volume Down (this will take you to recovery mode)
3. Once you are in recovery, volume buttons act as moving up and down and power as select button. While there select, Wipe Data/Factory Reset and Wipe cache partition
4. Reboot system once done (hopefully this will clear up the space), and re-connect your device to computer
5. Download the 4.1.2 ROM and Google Apps (gapps) HERE
6. Copy the two files downloaded onto the device (do not extract)
7. Go back to recovery mode and select install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard -> select the 4.1.2 ROM zip and then Google Apps zip in the order
8. Go back to main menu and reboot the device normally

Um. Well I got to step 2 but then when i selected recovery mode in the fastboot menu and pushed power it restarts and just shows the dead robot for like 10 minutes until it autorestarts to normal.

lol this is so ridiculous im going to go out and buy a Jitterbug
Edit: Oh you said to hold power +volume up+volume down. But its only up. I got it now, seeing what happens.

Where do I place the zip files onto the storage in particular? When I go to recovery mode theres an option to apply update from USB drive and it only shows ". . . " and selecting that just returns it to the main recovery options.

Last edited:

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Um. Well I got to step 2 but then when i selected recovery mode in the fastboot menu and pushed power it restarts and just shows the dead robot for like 10 minutes until it autorestarts to normal.

lol this is so ridiculous im going to go out and buy a Jitterbug
Edit: Oh you said to hold power +volume up+volume down. But its only up. I got it now, seeing what happens.

Where do I place the zip files onto the storage in particular? When I go to recovery mode theres an option to apply update from USB drive and it only shows ". . . " and selecting that just returns it to the main recovery options.

the root of the device, no need to put it on a folder...and you are not applying update, you are installing the zip file you downloaded.

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
the root of the device, no need to put it on a folder...and you are not applying update, you are installing the zip file you downloaded.

Recovery mode only displays 4 options I see. It has clear wipe data, and clear cache, and install from USB or install from DBP or whatever.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Recovery mode only displays 4 options I see. It has clear wipe data, and clear cache, and install from USB or install from DBP or whatever.

make sure you have the latest recovery (clockworkmod) by getting Rom Manager through Play Store and update it through Rom Manager.

- - - Updated - - -

make sure you have the latest recovery (clockworkmod) by getting Rom Manager through Play Store and update it through Rom Manager.

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
All right well I rerooted it and had it put clockwork yadayada on it. Went into recovery then installed those 2 zips. Now it rebooted and it will not do anything it just shows a shiny stylized "android" logo.

I used the toolkit and put it back to factory restore. I'm just going to send it in for warranty, I can't wait any longer thanks anyways for the feedback and help.

Last edited:

warsaws00

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I figured out how to install the roms/ etc like was mentioned earlier using CWM. Flashing a new ROM didnt help. But this morning I installed a different baseband and then used GetRIL to install a matching one. The 3rd one I tried so far seems to be working and I'm hesitant to say its working well again. Thanks for all the feedback from this forum.

reachvinay

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am in a same problem as you are and have been following your thread for quite a while. Its really heartening to know that you finally got your device working.

Could you please let me know the different RIL / Baseband versions you installed and the one that is working currently for you.

Thanks

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am in a same problem as you are and have been following your thread for quite a while. Its really heartening to know that you finally got your device working.

Could you please let me know the different RIL / Baseband versions you installed and the one that is working currently for you.

Thanks

my Gnex is a GSM europe brand and when i had the problem with the signal, i had UGKL1 radio (North America) installed and fixed the issue for me.
And then, I updated the radio to the latest version of the European baseband XXLH1 and that still works for me.
My advice, either if you have a european, then try using american baseband, vice versa or update to the latest version.

reachvinay

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, mine came with the European baseband and I did try swapping it with the UGLH1 version but had no success.

Here is the exact nature of my problem.

With the latest JB 4.2 (yakju-jop40c) I get a "BaseBand Uknown", "IMEI Unknown" . I see the same problem even with JB 4.1.2 (yakju-jzo54k)

But if I downgrade it to JB 4.0.4 (yakju-imm76i), I do get my IMEI back and my BaseBand version now shows I9250XXLA02. My phone registers to my local GSM network but then the signal strength is zero and I am unable to make / receive calls.

GetRIL shows green with BaseBand set to I9250XXLA02 and RIL set to XXLA

Is there any other way by which I can see fix this signal issue

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson