Galaxy Note 10.1: Volume control bass ackwards????

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's weird but the volume control on my two day old note 10.1 2014 seems backward. All other tablets I've owned from ipads to nexus 7s to even the note 8 raises volume when you press the left side and lowers it when you press the right side. My 2014 is just the opposite -- left owers, right raises volume. Is this standard or do I have an issue? If it is standard, why?

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdevil

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Standard, your Nexus is a phone when in portrait mode volume up you press the top, in landscape you press the right. The note 10.1 is a tablet and tablets start in landscape so the volume buttons work volume up press right side.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Huh? I've never had a tablets volume work the way you're explaining. Whether it's landscape or otherwise, pressing the left side of the volume rocker RAISES volume, pressing the right SIDE LOWERS volume. But not on the SGN2014, at least mine.
Standard, your Nexus is a phone when in portrait mode volume up you press the top, in landscape you press the right. The note 10.1 is a tablet and tablets start in landscape so the volume buttons work volume up press right side.

TodDroid

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
It could be a Samsung 'thing'. Prior to the Note 10.1, I had the Tab 2. On it, it [also] was the right rocker to raise the volume, left to lower.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's NOT a samsung thing because my note 8's volume rocker works correctly -- left up, right down. Maybe my 2014 is a Hebrew version in which one reads right to left, lol.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It has to do with the "natural" orientation of the device. Since the Note 10.1 is laid out for landscape orientation, left to lower and right to raise makes sense. This is how most things are orientated such as the radio in your car. You turn to the right (clockwise) to raise volume, to the left (counter-clockwise) to lower. Or if you have buttons, the lower volume button is always on the left.

In the case of the Note 8.0, it's "natural" orientation is portrait so the rocker is "up and down" rather than right to left. So when you rotate to portrait with the rocker on top, it's now "backwards" but that seems natural to you apparently.

I have an old Acer tablet that actually switches the button depending on what orientation you're in. Actually took me a little bit to get used to my Note 8 since it doesn't do that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly