Galaxy Note 4: Is it waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
But they already have the S5 and S5 active for folks that deem waterproofness a must-have feature. I just don't subscribe to the belief that Samsung has the desire to make all their phones waterproof at this time. So the Mega is going to come in a waterproof version too or is it that Samsung only wants all of their expensive flagships to be waterproof? Did your Samsung source provide any more details as to their logic?
Yeah but the S5 specs don't match up to the Note 4. If it was the same phone but with water resistance, then that point would be valid.

And yes, I expect Samsung (and everyone else) will make their flagship phones water resistant going forward. Whether that happens this round or next is the only question. I don't think there's much debate that it will happen at some point.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It would not have to be recertified. If I buy one and then have that coating put on it to make it water resistant do I then have to certify that? Of course not.

And, again, Samsung has changed specs after announcing a device in the past. I'm sorry you don't remember it but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Ask anyone who was waiting for Galaxy S2 and S3 before they were announced. I'm sure they'll probably remember it.
At this point you need to provide links supporting your claims. I'm not searching anymore.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read all 9 pages here... but this seems like a "yes" or "no" question and the answer is: "no". Am I missing something?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The S2 is almost a poor example to use as a changing of specs example, as Samsung relaunched the device as the S2 plus. The S2 also had multiple different hardware versions based on the SoC, one being Exynos, and one Snapdragon, and the Texas Instruments chip. Each one has a different setup and clock speed.
Reference: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it waterproof?

There is another option which in my opinion way better. You don't need the flaps to cover the ports or anything. Check out this product!

CES 2013: How Liquipel Will Make Your Phone Waterproof - YouTube

Liquipel the Alternative to a Waterproof Phone Case
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just getting the darn thing and doing this coating if it's not water resistant.

Or maybe I'll just put this coating on my Note 3 and just keep it til the Note 5 (which will likely be water resistant) is released next year.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it waterproof?

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just getting the darn thing and doing this coating if it's not water resistant.

Or maybe I'll just put this coating on my Note 3 and just keep it til the Note 5 (which will likely be water resistant) is released next year.

What are you going to do if all new phones, including the Note 5, are NOT waterproof? I'm just not convinced it's a must-have feature (just like all watches are not waterpoof) this generation or next. Is the iPhone waterproof?

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What are you going to do if all new phones, including the Note 5, are NOT waterproof? I'm just not convinced it's a must-have feature (just like all watches are not waterpoof) this generation or next. Is the iPhone waterproof?
I don't know if the iPhone is waterproof yet. I know the Sony is, the Galaxy S is, and the Motorola is. So it's inevitable that they all will be in the near future.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the Razor/Razor Maxx had a water-resistant nano-coating.
The one from 2012?
I know there are more niche devices with water/dust resistance, but most flagships do not have that. Until people start to buy or at least want that feature on their phones, I don't see why OEMs would add it. As of now, the Z3 and GS5 are the only flagships that have it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The one from 2012?
I know there are more niche devices with water/dust resistance, but most flagships do not have that. Until people start to buy or at least want that feature on their phones, I don't see why OEMs would add it. As of now, the Z3 and GS5 are the only flagships that have it.

I completely agree 1000%.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if the iPhone is waterproof yet. I know the Sony is, the Galaxy S is, and the Motorola is. So it's inevitable that they all will be in the near future.

The iPhone isn't (the 6 / 6 plus at least) .. It isn't shown on the specs and wasn't mentioned during the keynote.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The one from 2012?
So you don't think anyone wants the feature?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone isn't (the 6 / 6 plus at least) .. It isn't shown on the specs and wasn't mentioned during the keynote.

The smart-alec in me wants to suggest that maybe Apple will still add that feature to the 6/6+ but chose not to mention it. However, I'm no good at being a smart-alec so I will not suggest that.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So you don't think anyone wants the feature?

I think the folks that want the feature bad enough to sacrifice design elements are in the vast minority, at this point. I also believe that very few people purchased the S5 because it has water-resistance. For instance, if the S5 didn't have water-resistance yet the S5 Active did I do not believe there would be noticeably less S5 sales and more noticeably more S5 Active sales.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to search at all. I'm not trying to prove a case in a court of law here, lol. I remember it happening. If you don't, that's not my problem. I'm going to hold out hope until there's no hope.
It actually is your problem because nobody believes you. You're saying something that nobody else remembers or can find information about.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It actually is your problem because nobody believes you. You're saying something that nobody else remembers or can find information about.
I don't give a flying you know what if anyone believes me or not. I'm not here trying to convince anyone or prove a case in a court of law. I'm just stating why I'm not giving up hope, because I've seen it happen before. It doesn't matter to me whether you believe I've seen it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.