Galaxy Note 9 - Red Screen Issue

Alastair Waldeck

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
Whenever I open the Gallery, Netflix or YouTube applications the screen has an annoying red hue to it, almost as if the red pixels are brighter than the rest. On the Gallery, for example, the minute I click "Share" the screen goes back to normal. If I close and reopen the app it's back to red again.

I have tried wiping the cache, fiddling with the display settings (turning off adaptive display, taking the red value on the RGB settings right down, etc), and wiping and restoring the phone to factory settings. Nothing works. All the applications as well as the device itself has the latest updates.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I'm running out of options and any help would be appreciated!

Alastair Waldeck

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
Thanks so much!

And yes, the blue light filter is off. The screen works perfectly everywhere else, just on those particular applications does the red screen exist.

For example, on the Gallery, the images are red, but if I pull down the quick settings tab while using the app, that's still looks perfect.

It's the strangest thing...

Alastair Waldeck

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
Currently I have it on Adaptive Display. But I have tried all options (AMOLED Cinema, AMOLED Photo, and Basic). I also, while on Adaptive Display, have taken the temperature of the display right down to cool and taken the Red value of the RGB settings right down to zero; still nothing.

I have tried with the Video Enhancer both on and off.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Currently I have it on Adaptive Display. But I have tried all options (AMOLED Cinema, AMOLED Photo, and Basic). I also, while on Adaptive Display, have taken the temperature of the display right down to cool and taken the Red value of the RGB settings right down to zero; still nothing.

I have tried with the Video Enhancer both on and off.

Set it to amoled photo or basic and turn video enhancer off and see what that looks like. If it still looks too bright, then try a factory reset.

Fyi, adaptive mode means it will punch up the colors depending on what your doing, while video enhancer will punch up the colors in video apps (such as netflix). Cinema mode is constantly punchy.

It may also be HDR Mode, not sure how to disable that, maybe in the Netflix settings?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I open the Gallery, Netflix or YouTube applications the screen has an annoying red hue to it, almost as if the red pixels are brighter than the rest. On the Gallery, for example, the minute I click "Share" the screen goes back to normal. If I close and reopen the app it's back to red again.

I have tried wiping the cache, fiddling with the display settings (turning off adaptive display, taking the red value on the RGB settings right down, etc), and wiping and restoring the phone to factory settings. Nothing works. All the applications as well as the device itself has the latest updates.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? I'm running out of options and any help would be appreciated!
Hello Alastair, have you contacted the place where you got your phone from?
Maybe yours has a manufacturing defect and needs to get replaced.
I checked my phone, my brother's phone and a couple other phones from friends, I even had a chance to check the display Note 9 phones at 2 different bestbuy stores.
None had that red hue, nor any light bleed for that matter as other people have.
I would exchange that phone right away if I were you.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure this isn't some screen overlay causing this and not the phone? If it was the phone, it would be doing it 100% of the time. A rogue app, perhaps?
Did it do this the first time you used it?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Also, by any chance did you have a third party blue light filer app (like Twilight) installed on a prior backup and it's running on certain apps that you aren't aware of?
I haven't used one of these myself. But, there may be settings to be used on only certain apps and not all.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem

Bsgai

Oct 6, 2018
Visit site
It was Google books auto night light in my case. Turned it off and everything went back to normal. Thanks for the tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnieH