Galaxy Note: Problem with Kies and Update

anon(809729)

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello!!

When i plug my G Note on my PC to update via Kies it says that i have and update. It downloads the software and them Kies closes.

Is the a problem with Kies or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problem with Kies and Update

Kies can be very temperamental. My suggestion is as follows

1. Reboot phone and computer
2. Make sure phone is set to MTP mode for the usb connection and usb debugging is turned off.
3. Start Kies and let the to connect
4. Be patient. When I updated my phone it took forever for a few of the steps to progress.Just leave it attached and wait.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Pay attention to any messages kies says. Even though samsung says you can leave external memory alone, kies kept saying to remove it before updating. It would not go through until i did

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Good point. I forgot about that. I did have to unmount my sd card before the update started. You don't have to remove it, just unmount it.

KSoD

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried putting the phone in Download Mode then using the Tools>Firmware upgrade and initialization option?

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

I had the same problem. I tried the suggestions and still nothing. I even made sure my phone was fully charged because I got some message saying my phone's charge may not last the update which is the stupidest thing since it's plugged into the computer. Why isn't this update OTA? Samsung, you're killing me.

ebulldog

May 8, 2013
Visit site

First, Kies stinks. Did you completely un-install Kies and all of the drivers? I did a complete removal and re-installed Kies. It doesnt say but I did remove my SD card after several failed attempts and it finally worked. Kies take FOREVER to load anything, so you must be patient.

japyon

May 8, 2013
Visit site

2. Make sure phone is set to MTP mode for the usb connection and usb debugging is turned off.
4. Be patient. When I updated my phone it took forever for a few of the steps to progress.Just leave it attached and wait.

Hi, I'm pretty new about android still, but i got G note (1) with AT&T carrier.

As everybody mentioned here, i also got notification to update to JB.
I just have no luck updating to JB using Kies.
First, I install Kies on my mac, and everytime it attempt to download new FW, it will disconnect my phone to Kies.

I then read several suggestion on google find, I factory reset my phone, and tried, still have the same problem.

Today, I tried to do it through PC (at work), then for some reason, whenever I connect my USB cable to PC, it will loose all other USB connected tool, such as keyboard and mouse. (they just stop working). I was able to fix by power off PC, and unplug power cable then plug back in everything to fix.

HOWEVER, everytime I plug in my G Note's usb cable to PC, it will disconnect USB connection (such as mouse and keyboard).

I want to try the step by step Craig King suggest, however, I don't know how to do step 2
"2. Make sure phone is set to MTP mode for the usb connection and usb debugging is turned off."

Can anyone kind enough to explain it to me?

Thank you,

Do AT&T store update for me, if I bring my phone to the store...?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Most likely the easiest way to check would be connect it to the pc and then pull down the notification bar. Once it is down select the ongoing item listed as "Connected as a XXX device"

If it is setup as a MTP device it will show "media device". If it isn't setup that way it may say something about being connected as a camera.

To turn off usb Debugging just open up the settings menu and then scroll all the way to the bottom. There should be a menu option for "Developer options". Open that up and one of the top options should be USB Debugging. Just make sure it isn't checked.

Odds are unless you were doing something special those weren't changed as what I am telling you to check is basically make sure you are at factory defaults.

You may need to try different usb ports. I have had occasions were certain usb ports just would not for KIES and flashing updates to my phones before.

n-strike

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

Kies is really frustrating me. It says there's a software upgrade needed in order to upgrade the firmware, so I click update (by the way, I've done this a million times already). After I click update, it just stays there and doesn't update, doesn't even say 0% it just opens a blank window and it's just damn there.

stefsull

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Same here. Did everything possible and finally unmounted the SD (even though there was enough space for the upgrade). It finally updated the firmware.

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

I don't understand why this just wasn't an OTA update. Say what you will about Apple and iOS, when it comes to uniform updates, you know there's going to be one, when it will arrive, and guaranteed it will work.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I don't understand why this just wasn't an OTA update. Say what you will about Apple and iOS, when it comes to uniform updates, you know there's going to be one, when it will arrive, and guaranteed it will work.

I know HTC does OTAs. Not sure why this wasn't. I really don't know though because I root and don't take otas

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Martin Dias

May 28, 2013
Visit site

what s an MTP connection and how does one turn it off

My back up says 19% done but that has remained like that for 50mins or more. At what point do I consider it frozen and reboot?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

MTP = Media transport protocal, and pretty much the standard connectivity option for most newer phones with ICS and above. The days of defaulting to running like a thumb drive are gone.

I didn't do a backup, and never really had success with that with KIES. Not sure what you should do for that. I do remember it being very flacky though the couple of times i tried it.

Balanspen

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

I have tried everything in this thread but as soon as the download of the update begins I get "Please connect device" although I have not disconnected it!. On renewal I will go for a different non-Samsung phone as I have spent many hours on this and it can't be that difficult for Samsung to produce a better more reliable program than Kies. I never had problem with Nokia updates years ago.

mado1999

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

i had the same problem on my laptop, i tried to download kies on another computer then update my phone on it, it worked. that may help you