Galaxy S2 still worth it?

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Sounds great, Sprint data sucks in my city too (two WiMax towers, and zero LTE). So, kill me with the price. How much do you have to pay AT&T every month?
well with sprint I had the unlimited everything data with 450 anytime min for $83 (w/taxes and company discount and $7 insurance and $4 long distance thing). With ATT , the 3g data, 450 min and unlimited texting (roughly the same plan just not unlimted data)I woulda been paying $90ish and well worth it but trying to bundle into my wifes account. But just the last 2 days on the new phone and ATT has been night and day, excellent service with the phone and customer service. Everytime I call I speak and American!! not someone from Timbuktu. Sprint gobbles nuts man, just totally sucks as far as internet and occasional dropped calls. The S2 is a great phone that didn't get it's just deserves with sprint.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the S2 is still a very good phone, and for a non power user probably as good as anything out there and better than most. Will it get updated past 4.1? I personally doubt it. But for a non-power user the improvements in 4.2 are going to be trivial, I think.

If you're willing and able to flash a custom ROM you can definitely get a Jellybean based version of the OS running on this phone, but even without doing so it runs great out of the box. In the past I've run CyanogenMod 10.1, which is based on Android 4.2. At the moment I'm running the stock ICS ROM, although I do have it rooted so I can eliminate some of the Sprint-branded clutter in the apps drawer. However, I did that primarily for aesthetic reasons and to eliminate apps I don't plan to use. I didn't have to do it just to make the device adequately useable, the way I'd had to do with the much more limited LG Optimus S, which I'd had before I got the Samsung s Galaxy S2.

Anyway, you won't be getting the Galaxy S2 free, you'll be paying for it over the period of your contract. But it's well worth it, because it's a great phone.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
With regard to Sprint's network, yes it could be better. On the other hand, for me it would't matter all that much. Probably my favorite thing to do with my smartphone is to stream radio broadcasts. Some stations put out a good reliable stream, and others stutter, stop, and buffer constantly; the funny thing is, it doesn't seem to matter how good my connection is. I have cable internet service that provides download speeds in the 12 - 20 Mbps range, but even when using my device at home over this network, the "bad" stations stutter and stop and buffer just as they do when I try to stream them on the 3g or 4g network. Whether it'll work for you depends on your lifestyle.

ETA: even when streaming on my PC the weak stations are definitely still weak, just as they are on my mobile.

Last edited:

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Again, night and day from sprint to att with me. Taking pictures, going on to facebook and loading them up quickly. With sprint it was just frustration after frustration, I just gave up trying. Now I feel I have a real smartphone that works. And I stream iHeart and Pandora while riding my bike (on sprint) and I was losing them all the time. The S2 is a great phone but trust me, the difference in carriers is incredible.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on what people demand from a device and their location with respect to the available carriers in that particular area. It's hard to compare one persons experiences with another considering there are too many factors to compare.

Regarding the S2, well, today it's still good but I think you'll be better off with an S3 considering it's offered at good prices online (Amazon). If not having the latest and greatest release then yes, go for the S2.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
@ paulhead

Sounds great, and I'm sure it is nice to finally get what you pay for.

I'm with Ting and my usual bill is $11 per month. Usually 0MB data because I use Wi-Fi only, and zero texts because I hate text.

Last month, they changed my billing practice to pay for what you used the previous month, instead of paying for what you think you will use the next month.

The result was my bill for 88 voice minutes was -$2.60 (a $2.60 credit against next month's $11).

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're willing and able to flash a custom ROM you can definitely get a Jellybean based version of the OS running on this phone, but even without doing so it runs great out of the box.

I would just like to point out that you do not need to root and run a ROM in order to have JB on this phone. It was released earlier this year and can be downloaded directly from the Samsung website, or updated via Kies, or by taking it to a Sprint store and having them apply it for you.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I would just like to point out that you do not need to root and run a ROM in order to have JB on this phone. It was released earlier this year and can be downloaded directly from the Samsung website, or updated via Kies, or by taking it to a Sprint store and having them apply it for you.

Just FYI not all Sprint stores will install JB for you.

Dugisme

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Has to be a sprint 'service' store I found out when I went for the JB upgrade. Where they managed to Brick my phone. o_O
So this would be my 2nd " Sprint 4g Epic Touch" With the old battery :p Toss the names Samsung and Galaxy in there and this phone has the longest name ever. Lol. Still yeah, great phone. I'm still happy with it. Takes great photos, durable, and the screen is gorgeous. Got a Note 10.1 a couple months back and you wouldn't believe how much longer the battery lasts in the phone now. ;)

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Still a really good phone, there are better phones, but for daily calls, messages, and other Smartphone use still great.

I highly suggest purchasing an extended battery, no matter what you do the regular oem battery that comes with the phone is going to drain bad.

Posted via Android Central App Galaxy S2

Hvacmanjc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I am still rocking a S2 and its still one of the best phones. The S3 can be a very laggy phone bit the S2 keeps chugging. It runs a lot better with JB but the GPS is horrible. Takes roughly 3-5 minutes to get an accurate signal. Other than that, its smooth as butter. Another phone to look at is the LG Optimus G that is Free right now. I also have that and it is a super fast phone. 13 mp camera is a little overrated but with a quad core processor, it does not studder one bit to whatever you throw at it!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John H