Galaxy s20 Ultra!! Are you not entertained?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This Phone is a monster. 5G is here and with the rollout on most carriers its great that Samsung is now saying this is the future. Even though the flip and foldable phones are also coming in early form. 5G is here and a screen going to 6.9 and 12 to 16 of RAM. I'm excited and the S10 5G was great I'm on to the next wave of greatness.
The phone is highly spec out for sure

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The S20 Ultra is just too big for me to consider. I have fairly large hands for a woman, but I couldn't deal with something that huge.
It looks to be heavier also , s10+ and note 10+ are big devices but they feel light almost like a plastic phone weight.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
You should go out and try a new $200 phone. I think you'd be astounded at how capable it is.

I truly think we reached Peak Phone awhile back, and everything lately and moving forward is just smoke and mirrors and marketing buzz to try to get you to believe the snake oil. Oh--and no one here is a professional photographer, so all the talk about cameras is just noise. Again, see what a modern $200 phone brings to the table.

When the phones with the 765 chip in them start coming out, pay very close attention. They will be the sneak flagships that the marketing teams won't want to talk about. There's no doubt Samsung will also be involved in that, but you'll pay the Samsung tax for it--so know what you're doing and what you want/need before you pay that Samsung tax. I bet Motorola will play heavily in that space.

Me, I think I want a Samsung phone. It integrates very well with my Galaxy Watch, including wireless charging. Plus, I've come to appreciate some of the Samsung niceties. So if an appropriate Samsung 765-equipped phone comes out, I would probably do that.

Here in Canada think one would need to spend in the ballpark of $350-$400 but yeah get your point... Have a couple of devices w/625 SOCs, 3 & 4GB RAM, that can easily sustain themselves during daily use w/o being a burden. Use both on occasion when there's an urge finding little about them that is daunting.

Agree we've reach a peak of sorts some time ago. I wouldn't categorize everything as smoke-n-mirrors yet do often wonder how many use a device to its full potential, regularly. More mind boggling, before the device is even broke in many will toss in the towel for the next model that comes off the assembly line LOL.

Dunno who's a professional photographer or not yet some of this new camera tech does have my attention. Not enough at the moment to pay the piper nor put down my Pixel 2 XL, P20, P20 Pro, and G8X Thinq. These present devices more than satisfy my needs in every department seeing little reason for another upgrade, especially something that'd cost $750+ more than I've ever paid for a device before. Just wouldn't make sense.

New SOCs really don't entice much anymore personally as my present devices definitely don't leave me feeling like we're running at half throttle, totally on the contrary. I'm no gamer, manage my devices very well, 4-6GB RAM has been perfectly sufficient, batteries are some of the best, reliable as all get-out, blah blah blah. It has come to a point for me "if it ain't broke don't fix it" simple as that.

Nope can't see a new Sammy in my future, our last were the GS7 & Edge. Not to say I don't like yet their flagship pricing soured my taste for one as did their level of support that still appears to be way off course for the times. Best thing I did was roam on the device front, proved there's more to the game than the latest and greatest, highest priced. None of which is a prerequisite in getting the job done, having a pleasant experience, as I found out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm a sucker for specs yet have to wonder. Will they actually make a huge difference for the average user, in day-to-day life?
I'm also a sucker for specs :)
No in my opinion wont make a huge difference for average user, me I can see the smallest thing on a phone make a difference but that's how I am.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I'm also a sucker for specs :)
No in my opinion wont make a huge difference for average user, me I can see the smallest thing on a phone make a difference but that's how I am.

I too can see some things yet in real world use I've come to realize most of those things make little difference, one get used to "less" rather quickly when there's nothing else to compare it to... Comparing side-by-side sure it can be real evident but rarely are we sporting two devices simultaneously.

When I see the base S20's asking price in Canada and realize that I just bought a highly spec'd laptop for video editing for less it blows my mind. Kind of an orange and apple comparison but still, one's longevity/support/usefulness, will be far greater than the other. It's things like this that's returned me to earth LOL, plus the fact lesser easily suffices for me on the smartphone front.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I too can see some things yet in real world use I've come to realize most of those things make little difference, one get used to "less" rather quickly when there's nothing else to compare it to... Comparing side-by-side sure it can be real evident but rarely are we sporting two devices simultaneously.

When I see the base S20's asking price in Canada and realize that I just bought a highly spec'd laptop for video editing for less it blows my mind. Kind of an orange and apple comparison but still. It's things like this that's returned me to earth LOL, plus the fact lesser suffices on the smartphone front.
I've always said if you can wait and get a great deal jump on it , I will not pay 1,000.00 on phone anymore 500 to 800 max , rather be 500.00 range more . That includes deals,trade ins etc.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I've always said if you can wait and get a great deal jump on it , I will not pay 1,000.00 on phone anymore 500 to 800 max , rather be 500.00 range more . That includes deals,trade ins etc.

Deals-Canada? Haahahaha now you're just being funny lol.

Seriously though, prices like Samsung's lose my interest right from the get-go rarely looking back. Never once did we even remotely considered an S8, S9, S10, and unlikely an S20 Series. In all fairness, this pretty much goes for any device that exceeds the 1K mark. If Samsung ramps up their level of support, and I mean RAMP UP, then it may be enough of a game-changer for me to reconsider. At this point though the 2-years vs $$$$ is now no longer acceptable for a flagship of this caliber/price... If not careful it soon could be "Apple of my eye" ;).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Seriously though, prices like Samsung's lose my interest right from the get-go rarely looking back. Never once did we even remotely considered an S8, S9, S10, and unlikely an S20 Series. In all fairness, this pretty much goes for any device that exceeds the 1K mark. If Samsung ramps up their level of support, and I mean RAMP UP, then it may be enough of a game-changer for me to reconsider. At this point though the 2-years vs $$$$ is now no longer acceptable for a flagship of this caliber/price... If not careful it soon could be "Apple of my eye" ;).
Ahh ...Canada yeah I hear the prices are higher there :(

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site

The differences between CAD and USD pricing starts at $550+ rising to a whopping $900+! Now you know why us Canadians have frowns on our faces when talking most flagships LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
For me, the last Samsung I owned was an S7 Edge I bought refurbished off eBay. I gave it to a friend who needed a phone. So the S10+ I just bought is a huge leap in design, quality and experience. It is a huge leap in experience from the Pixel 4XL I own as well. But I would not buy the S20. It just has no appeal to me. It is too expensive and I am not bothered about just having the latest specs.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I remember the 7 Edge was the last phone we got for $299 back when I was with Sprint. Last time they did the $199 for 2 year upgrade but since we got the Edge and it was bigger than the S7 we paid $299. I forgot what we got for those I think $300 each than got out Note 8's only cause of specs and camera. We didn't care to have a Note and never used the pen. Never have been a Note fan that's just us personally. I went from the Note 8 to the 9 plus and hubby kept his till the 10 plus. I thought the AR Emoji was cool on the 9 Plus main reason I wanted it and Note was to big for me.

Until we fully get 5G my 10 plus will have to do. The S20 isn't in our budget right now. I wish I had been saving again cause after trade in I will pay 5 or 600 maybe. I would love the Ultra cause of the specs if I was going to do it but my hands are small and I wouldn't be able to hold it good and the plus would be good enough for me. But I'll wait! I always want the latest and greatest and I'm sure when I am ready for the next round of phones I won't get as much for my 10 plus as I could now but it's ok. I'll start saving again. LOL!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The differences between CAD and USD pricing starts at $550+ rising to a whopping $900+! Now you know why us Canadian's have frowns on our faces when talking most flagships LOL.
That's crazy cross the border and buy one in the states if you could .

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
That's crazy cross the border and buy one in the states if you could .

Wish it were that simple as for one it does nothing to alter our exchange rates. Now if US ricing fell a certain amount then might make it somewhat feasible. Better off just sticking where we're at, not buying into these mega-priced flagships. Like already said, don't feel like we are missing out on much anyway being content to just carry on.

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I remember the 7 Edge was the last phone we got for $299 back when I was with Sprint. Last time they did the $199 for 2 year upgrade but since we got the Edge and it was bigger than the S7 we paid $299. I forgot what we got for those I think $300 each than got out Note 8's only cause of specs and camera. We didn't care to have a Note and never used the pen. Never have been a Note fan that's just us personally. I went from the Note 8 to the 9 plus and hubby kept his till the 10 plus. I thought the AR Emoji was cool on the 9 Plus main reason I wanted it and Note was to big for me.

Until we fully get 5G my 10 plus will have to do. The S20 isn't in our budget right now. I wish I had been saving again cause after trade in I will pay 5 or 600 maybe. I would love the Ultra cause of the specs if I was going to do it but my hands are small and I wouldn't be able to hold it good and the plus would be good enough for me. But I'll wait! I always want the latest and greatest and I'm sure when I am ready for the next round of phones I won't get as much for my 10 plus as I could now but it's ok. I'll start saving again. LOL!

Bought the GS7 & Edge and they both were between $800-$900 up here at the time. This is where I realized curved displays weren't my thing but in general both devices were great, kinda regretted selling both in a way. Think they were the first device Samsung supported for 3-years w/security patches too although third years patched came on a bimonthly basis.

5G hasn't captured my attention yet so I'm more than fine w/o. And S20 of any variant ain't in my budget either as not looking at taking out a second mortgage just to obtain LOL. Besides, a lot of what I'd be paying for here would realistically do very little to enhance our day-to-day usage experiences.... Camera(s) MAY be our only want which ain't enough to warrant such a purchase. So as long as manufactures keep pumping out capable mid-rangers, reasonably priced "flagships", I foresee myself continuing on the same path for some time to come.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The differences between CAD and USD pricing starts at $550+ rising to a whopping $900+! Now you know why us Canadian's have frowns on our faces when talking most flagships LOL.

LOOL as a Canadian who loves flagship smartphones, I definitely agree with you!

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Yes much higher not to mention our monthly data plans are much higher to

Funny thing is they convert to US dollars as a price tag to the phone but then as trade in value for the phone you have they keep it in Canadian dollars

Case and point my local best buy is offering $500 for my S10 plus but I've seen online best buy in US offering the same or more, where is the exchange rate working in our favor here?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Funny thing is they convert to US dollars as a price tag to the phone but then as trade in value for the phone you have they keep it in Canadian dollars

Case and point my local best buy is offering $500 for my S10 plus but I've seen online best buy in US offering the same or more, where is the exchange rate working in our favor here?
I hear you :(

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Our data plans are pretty rough. I'm with Roger's and actually got a good deal. My husband, who is with Virgin, got locked into a bad deal so he's going to switch to my account in the next few months. Apparently, Telus has a really good plan out now. I feel like it's hit and miss with every carrier, though. Sometimes you get a good deal and other times you're like a bug on a windshield.