galaxy s3 data speeds

galaxyking86

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I need help I'm having a big issue with my s3 data speeds being extra slow I've just started noticing it with in the past 2 weeks I can't even stream a simple YouTube video with out it buffering every 5 sec of the video I have the unlimited at&t data plan I did the speedtest.net and I'm getting 118ms-ping 640kbps download and 993kbps upload on 4g its running on ics "because AT&T and samsung haven't released over ther air jb for my s3 or my note 10.1 :(" I've trtied googling everything and can't figure it out any ideas on how To fix the issue? Thanks guys

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Those speeds are slow as long as you mean kbps (kilo bits per second) and not kB/s (kilo Bytes per second). In order to stream video content reliably you probably need something closer to 2Mbps down (or 2000kbps--Leaving out the whole kilobytes vs kibibytes problem).

Are you not able to connect to a higher speed Wi-Fi network?

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Those speeds are slow as long as you mean kbps (kilo bits per second) and not kB/s (kilo Bytes per second). In order to stream video content reliably you probably need something closer to 2Mbps down (or 2000kbps--Leaving out the whole kilobytes vs kibibytes problem).

Are you not able to connect to a higher speed Wi-Fi network?

It's the other way around. 8 bits is equivalent to 1 byte. So if you are doing 640kb, than that is actually 80kB.

And don't forget that AT&T starts throttling after you reach a certain level that they determine you crossed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
No, if his speed is 640 kB/s then that would correspond to a typical home wifi speed of 5120 kbps which would be more than adequate. As it stands he has a speed of 640 kbps which is only 80 kB/s.

1 Byte = 8 bits
640 kilobits per sec x 1 Byte/ 8 bits
or 640/8

80 kB/s is not adequate.

Last edited:

galaxyking86

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Usually I could stream videoswitch issues I even would tether my tablet off my phone using svtp and watch Netflix no issues at all I just noticed itgingestion really slow even downloading a appeal take 2to 3 min usually it take 30 sec

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Usually I could stream videoswitch issues I even would tether my tablet off my phone using svtp and watch Netflix no issues at all I just noticed itgingestion really slow even downloading a appeal take 2to 3 min usually it take 30 sec

At 640 kbps (80 kB/s) a 4 MB app or mp3 would take 50 seconds to download.
4000 kB / 80 kB/s = 50 sec.

You are probably getting slower speeds than that, perhaps more like only 300 kbps.

I just turned off my wifi and tested my AT&T network speed and got about 2400 kbps down with medium signal strength.

Your signal strength could also be the culprit. If you only have 1 or 2 bars with -110 dBm then your connection could be dropping mid steam.

galaxyking86

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
At 640 kbps (80 kB/s) a 4 MB app or mp3 would take 50 seconds to download.
4000 kB / 80 kB/s = 50 sec.

You are probably getting slower speeds than that, perhaps more like only 300 kbps.

I just turned off my wifi and tested my AT&T network speed and got about 2400 kbps down with medium signal strength.

Your signal strength could also be the culprit. If you only have 1 or 2 bars with -110 dBm then your connection could be dropping mid steam.

My I have all my bars on my signal and something strange happen today I was in another city that has 4g lte and it popped up I had all my bars but my internet wouldn't work no fb or anything then as soon as I got back to just 4g my internet started working again

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reroseroy