Galaxy S3 very hot in more ways than one!

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Let me just say this, my significant other investigates insurance fraud. There are times when I help out when the load is heavy. I've seen a lot photos, the average person would look at a photo and not scrutinize it. Looking at those photos of a supposedly faulty phone, it is very clear to me the flame originated from the outside. You'd be surprised how many people have tried to pull crap like this.I will tell ya this, whom ever this person is, if they decide to run with this, he/she will have the hammer dropped down on them.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd be super sad if that happened to me. But if it wasnt my fault I would be the happiest man in the world. I would sue the hell out of Samsung and then buy another GS3 lol

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree that we do not have all the facts and that it is probably isolated due to the carelessness of the owner or deliberate damage to hurt GS3 sales. I am no fanboy as this is my first Android device. My pebble blue should arrive before 3PM CST today and we will see just how the phone really is. I am still thinking AWESOMENESS!!!

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I heard that Apple has a new lawsuit over this. Apparently they had the first product to blow up while plugged in ( ipod nano ).
Apple will only settle the suit if we change the name Jesus to Jobs.

So lame you have nothing better to talk about.

Anyway, kinda funny after the android fanboys got all up in arms with heatgate on the iPad, which really wasn't an issue anyway.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Could it have been that a charger not designed for the phone was used? or the wrong HDMI cable being used? My guess is the former. The devices had to have been tested for hours by Samsung and by entities like the FCC and UL before release in the US.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Could it have been that a charger not designed for the phone was used? or the wrong HDMI cable being used? My guess is the former. The devices had to have been tested for hours by Samsung and by entities like the FCC and UL before release in the US.

That wouldn't effect the current hold up the i phone is having though. Here's the update to the phone
4257565f-007f-0584.jpg

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

A comment posted on the article post on Android authority raises a good point that the damage is restricted to the charging port likely due to a "dodgy" car charger. The device has been out for almost a month and this the only documented incident if it is true. It could deliberate damage as well.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Poor bugger had remorse over getting the white GS3 and decided on insurance fraud for a pebble blue one.LOL

Bad_SNaCKY

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard that Apple has a new lawsuit over this. Apparently they had the first product to blow up while plugged in ( ipod nano ).....

I actually had this happen to me. I bought the very first Ipod Nano back in like 2002-2003? (registered it). Then early this year -- i get an email from Apple explaining the whole exploding battery thing and that they want this nano back while either repairing or replacing it.

I thought it was spam or something and called to confirm and it was legit. A few weeks later, i got the newest Ipod nano shipped to me. Needless to say i was very impressed that they would followup with me nearly 10 years after the fact.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's not completely unheard of. There have been quite a few news stories about phones exploding or catching on fire over the years. Google "Cell Phone Catches fire" and you get quite a few news stories.

As long as it doesn't become an epidemic of exploding GSIII's, we probably don't have anything to worry about.

Agreed. I posted the original article, because I thought it of interest. But I'm not going to be losing any sleep worrying about my S3 exploding or catching on fire (once it arrives, that is!)

In addition to cell phones, there are also lots of (isolated) cases of laptops exploding/catching fire, and at least a couple of widespread recalls. I think in all the cases I've heard of, it was the batteries, vs. the laptops themselves.

There is no place for anyone to be resonable on this forum, please leave!

Hahaha! You must have been over reading the "Happy Ship Day" threads! :D Mucho unreasonableness and ranting & raving uncontrollably there! ;)

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
A comment posted on the article post on Android authority raises a good point that the damage is restricted to the charging port likely due to a "dodgy" car charger. The device has been out for almost a month and this the only documented incident if it is true. It could deliberate damage as well.

The guy said the phone was not charging at the time. This is definitely deliberate.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So...it wasn't charging at the time, but the fire originated at the charging port? Hmmmmm.

I guess the dumbass didn't know to burn around the battery area for better realism.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
So...it wasn't charging at the time, but the fire originated at the charging port? Hmmmmm.

I guess the dumbass didn't know to burn around the battery area for better realism.

What would be his motive as he bought the phone in the first place... Just sayin:D

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
The guy said the phone was not charging at the time. This is definitely deliberate.

He's probably sick in the head, seriously.

Wow, quite a lot of assumptions going on here, based on an article and a few cellphone pictures. Nice crucifixion job!