Galaxy S4 major battery drain issues.

Cali Calin

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I have an galaxy s4 for about 1 week and the Gsam Battery Monitor show that my battery is draining 28.5%/hour . I left the phone in IDLE with everything off: Wifi/Sync/Screen on the lowest setting , etc.. And still my battery can't stay on more than 4 hours in idle..
Please help if you can with and advice or something.. I have android 4.4.2. Idle temp is around 30-32 Celsius. When playing games is 36-40.

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you should look for apps that use location services, those are battery hogs.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Andrew Koster

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah ivev got same problem had my galaxy s4 now for about 2 weeks and battery life was amazing until 2 days ago when I woke up and my phone had switched itself off from a 100% charge it's driving me nuts that it can't get thru the night I've done 2 factory resets but still the android system drains my battery. I called my carrier explained the problem and they are sending me a new battery although I doubt that will change anything as the battery I've got is brand new and nothing wrong with it.yeah it just happened I didn't change any settings or download any apps any help/advice greatly appreciated

Posted via Android Central App

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I suck too. Verizon running 4.4.2, or as I like to call it, Android's worst update ever.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-22-22-50-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-22-22-50-07.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 57

Cali Calin

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have changed the battery with a new one but nothing... i don't have any SYNC OR LOCATION apps running in backround.. my battery drains very fast on any situation. I want to send the phone back to get my money and buy a new one. Or i don't know ... i read all the forums but no resolve for me :( Please help if you can.

Andrew Koster

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah running on kit kat but it's not like I updated to kit kat it was like this out of the box and like a said battery life was excellent until recently it won't even get me thru the night off a full charge each morning I wake my phone is drained and turned off

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been on 4.4.2. since it came out, and I'm not seeing the drainage issues others are reporting here. I still go 2 days with heavy use, lots of wi-fi and browsing, reddit, and close to 4 or 4.5 hours of screen time. When I read books on my device, I can even extend it to 5 or 5.5 hours sometimes. I have no battery saving apps and I'm not rooted. I don't know why I'm not seeing the discrepancy, but KitKat gives me the best battery life I've had for this device.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have your phone, I have a Galaxy Nexus, but I upgraded to KitKat and started seeing problems then. This was after using all the normal methods to get excellent battery life back on Jellybean. System monitoring, Google Location services off, removal of apps. But once I upgraded, nothing out of the ordinary showed up. I even ran the phone in safe mode and had the same problem which is a true indicator that it is something in the system. Plus my Nexus tablet does the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
No. I'm hopping someone figures out what is causing it so it can be disabled, just like Google App Location Services in Jellybean.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope this cross posts. It's another G4 thread and if you click the "originally posted by" link, it should take you to it. Other suggestions include uninstalling RAM monitors like Clean Master.

OKOKOK GUYS. I THINK I KNOW WHY IT KEEPS BUGGING THAT WAY. After 2 months, I finally might figured out what went wrong with the lockscreen, the warm up problem and the fast battery drain!

So, I did try to reset my device before already and the problem would still occur, but this time it was different. I reset it again without backing up anything or downloading anything (just to test it) and my s4 survived!

1. Google map / GPS or any application that reads your location are what cause the fast battery drain and the warming up issue.

What I suggest you to do is : go to
settings > more tab > application manager > look for Google Map > clear cache and clear data. Do this everytime after you're done using Google Map only!

If you don't need your GPS, keep it off and try to not allow applications to read your location as it keeps making your device running all the time...

2. Device cleaners apps, battery savers apps and antivirus are what making the screen stays black (won't wake up)

I don't know why but just uninstall it.. Jelly Bean used to support it but I do not know why it's acting up with Kit Kat. And yes, I did the test! Since the last reset, I tired to install only phew applications day by day until I installed AVG antivirus, DU Battery Booster, DU Speed Booster and the "stuck on black screen" came back and I had to reset my phone all over aaagain.

It's been 2 weeks now and I got no more problems! ; Much better battery life (only lose around 1-3% per hour now when idle) , no more excessive warming up and no more blackout! Happy me!! :)

You don't have to make a hard reset like me! Just make sure everything that has to do with your location utilisation remains off and unistall any cleaners apps or antivirus! Then restart your device for a last time and it should be fine.

Feel free to tell us if that worked for you or not!

c_j2020

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have changed the battery with a new one but nothing... i don't have any SYNC OR LOCATION apps running in backround.. my battery drains very fast on any situation. I want to send the phone back to get my money and buy a new one. Or i don't know ... i read all the forums but no resolve for me :( Please help if you can.
Cali, install "app ops starter" from the play store which which give you access to the permissions used by your apps. Once you do this you can switch off permissions like location, keep awake etc for many of your apps. This will help your battery. By using app ops starter I think I may have found the problem, at least on my S4. Once the camera is used, despite being closed, it continues to run in the background. The only way to stop it is a reboot. In saying that, even by doing all of the above, my battery is still draining quicker than it was on 4.3, maybe time to root !

Andrew Koster

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I found a fox cope me at least, I done another factory reset but this time I didn't install my Samsung and Google accounts and hey presto the battery was amazing again. Anyway I slowly added my accounts one by one and found it was something in the Google account maybe an app that was causing the drain anyway I deleted all the apps and am sorely adding them again one by one hope this helps for others to

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Cali, install "app ops starter" from the play store which which give you access to the permissions used by your apps. Once you do this you can switch off permissions like location, keep awake etc for many of your apps. This will help your battery. By using app ops starter I think I may have found the problem, at least on my S4. Once the camera is used, despite being closed, it continues to run in the background. The only way to stop it is a reboot. In saying that, even by doing all of the above, my battery is still draining quicker than it was on 4.3, maybe time to root !

Interesting that you say that because I found that when I use my camera the drain noticeably accelerates. I assumed it was the flash. Google has a new camera in the Play Store (Google Camera). I wonder if using that would just be better?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I charged my phone, removed it from the charger, came back a few hours later and it was at 82%. Checked the battery setting - 2 hr 38 min on battery, Android OS - Keep Awake, 2 hr 32 mins. So, there you go.

Sent from my "no longer 120? or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie