Galaxy S4: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

I'm wondering if this problem is very prevalent to most S4 users or not. I sister hasn't experienced any issues with hers yet (although she barely knows how to use it or save onto it...).

Also, I have experienced the corruption issue one again the past few days. I would take just a few photos of something and realize that some of the photos have become corrupt not too long after. I'm absolutely confused as to what specifically causes this annoying problem. :\

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Get a Samsung sd card and most if not all your problems will go away. Had same issues with sandisk and Polaroid cards in s4. Read somewhere to get Samsung card, did and haven't had any problems from s4 or N3. Read somewhere sandisk formatted for windows only??? and that was causing problems. Also read sandisk had a bad batch of cards at some point last year. Samsung cards are a little pricey comparatively but if you want external memory to work its worth it. I know there are a lot of threads concerning Samsung phones and sd cards with a thousand suggestions. This one worked for me.

ATT N3

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

To add more information about the problem, I've noticed that when I have my photos automatically upload to Dropbox or Google+ after taking pictures, the photos that become corrupt are also corrupt online. This is telling me that the corruption of the files is pretty fast, or that the uploading is just slow or late.

If it is the latter, then the speed of uploading after taking a photo is at fault. However, if the files are becoming corrupt before even uploading, then this may mean that the photos are possibly ruined instantaneously right after taking the photo (although, some instances contradict that claim...).

Just an FYI!

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

To add more information about the problem, I've noticed that when I have my photos automatically upload to Dropbox or Google+ after taking pictures, the photos that become corrupt are also corrupt online. This is telling me that the corruption of the files is pretty fast, or that the uploading is just slow or late.

If it is the latter, then the speed of uploading after taking a photo is at fault. However, if the files are becoming corrupt before even uploading, then this may mean that the photos are possibly ruined instantaneously right after taking the photo (although, some instances contradict that claim...).

Just an FYI!

I'd suggest trying an experiment. Set your camera to save to internal phone memory with backup online. Take some test shots. Then set the camera to save to the external SD card with backup online. Take some more test shots. See which, if any, are corrupt from the internal memory and which, if any, from the SD card. That should help determine whether it's the SD card at fault.

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

I'd suggest trying an experiment. Set your camera to save to internal phone memory with backup online. Take some test shots. Then set the camera to save to the external SD card with backup online. Take some more test shots. See which, if any, are corrupt from the internal memory and which, if any, from the SD card. That should help determine whether it's the SD card at fault.

From what I have experienced, saving photos as well as uploading them from the internal memory had no issues whatsoever. For the SD card, problems occur (either right when the pic was taken or some time afterwards).

Recalling back last week, I took many pictures of this husky puppy at school. I "accidentally" got the chance to do a test by saving many pictures to both the internal memory and SD. I took a good amount of shots by normally using the camera - these were saved to the SD. Then I decided to do a burst shot. The burst was not set to save to the SD, so they all (20 photos) were saved to my internal memory.
Looking at Google+, I see that only 4/14 shots uploaded from SD are ok (the other 10 have become corrupt). 20/20 shots uploaded from the internal memory are fine. This is also reflected in my phone's gallery app.
Looking at what has happened, it can be concluded that the problem stems from the SD card - I just don't know how fast the corruption occurs after taking photos and why exactly it happens.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

That seems to nail it down pretty definitely. Might be time to try a new SD card.

fppc

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

The SD Card issue seems to be a hit or miss. Recently my wife & were in NYC when suddenly she noticed all her info, ALL OF IT, was missing from the directories. I checked the card and it did not appear in the file manager. I tried her card in my phone, (both are Galaxy S4's), and the memory card was not recognized. I put in a spare for her phone to use while we were on vacation and once home I placed her SD card in the freezer, it was of course inside the plastic case for protection. I left it there for 2 days then let it warm to room temp and used my laptop to access the now visible files and move them to a folder on the computer. I did have to utilize the freezer 2 times during this process but managed to recover every file she had on the SD card. "THIS WAS BTW A SAMSUNG 16GB SD." I purchased new high speed ScanDisk SD cards and transferred all her files to the new card, other than some reorganizing all is well. We now have DropBox set up for automatic photo backup and have set up "Backup Pro" to handle all SMS, MMS, Call Logs, etc.. on a daily backup schedule.

My guess would be a glitch in the Samsung phone firmware that causes the SD card issue but it could have been the card as well. My card was the same, purchased and installed on same day, and I have no trouble although I too will be replacing the Samsung SD card. This doesn't help much with giving a fix for the problem however the intent is to give everyone a possible way to recover the files. Once removed from the freezer I did not view any files until after they were all transferred and I did nothing else on the computer until the task was complete. Warning ahead that this took quite some time to complete but having recovered all the pics and files was worth every second. Good luck to all.

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

The SD Card issue seems to be a hit or miss. Recently my wife & were in NYC when suddenly she noticed all her info, ALL OF IT, was missing from the directories. I checked the card and it did not appear in the file manager. I tried her card in my phone, (both are Galaxy S4's), and the memory card was not recognized. I put in a spare for her phone to use while we were on vacation and once home I placed her SD card in the freezer, it was of course inside the plastic case for protection. I left it there for 2 days then let it warm to room temp and used my laptop to access the now visible files and move them to a folder on the computer. I did have to utilize the freezer 2 times during this process but managed to recover every file she had on the SD card. "THIS WAS BTW A SAMSUNG 16GB SD." I purchased new high speed ScanDisk SD cards and transferred all her files to the new card, other than some reorganizing all is well. We now have DropBox set up for automatic photo backup and have set up "Backup Pro" to handle all SMS, MMS, Call Logs, etc.. on a daily backup schedule.

My guess would be a glitch in the Samsung phone firmware that causes the SD card issue but it could have been the card as well. My card was the same, purchased and installed on same day, and I have no trouble although I too will be replacing the Samsung SD card. This doesn't help much with giving a fix for the problem however the intent is to give everyone a possible way to recover the files. Once removed from the freezer I did not view any files until after they were all transferred and I did nothing else on the computer until the task was complete. Warning ahead that this took quite some time to complete but having recovered all the pics and files was worth every second. Good luck to all.

Thank you for the very detailed and informative reply!

I'm wondering if the class of the card may have some effect on these issues? Perhaps the phones prefer class 10s over 4s (what I currently have)?

Where did you hear of the freezer "trick?" Was it technically to let the card cool down a great deal? Because I know when the S4 is using the card extensively, it can get pretty hot, which can possibly be a factor into these issues as well.

Odd that the SD card that decided to fail on you guys was a Samsung.. It makes me wonder if it's strictly the phone's fault or if the problems only occur with a combo of a bad SD card and a phone problem.

Let us know if you stumble upon any other issues again with your card(s)!

fppc

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't say if the SD card being a 4 or 10 makes any difference. The new cards I just installed are 10 for the higher speed.

As for the freezer trick, it is an old computer trick I learned long ago. When a hard drive fails sometimes the data can be recovered by placing the drive in the freezer for a couple of days. My guess would be this has nothing to do with "cooling down" but rather more to do with a temporary correction on the corrupt part of a drive as result of the extreme cold. I had never tried with an SD card prior to this but I figured it was my only shot. The important thing to remember is not to panic and attempt the many things we all do when data disappears. I have noted by past experience the trick is to NOT do anything aside from moving the data to a known good drive and once there taking a look at the result. I have lost data on hard drives by attempting to look before transfer. It sounds like a joke but it does work, just have to have the patience to wait out the long transfer time, I imagine due to the corrupt source.

If this info helps even one more person save memories then my time was well spent in sharing. Good luck!

P.S. My opinion would still be that the phone itself creates this problem and not the SD card. After all, this appears to be non exclusive to any particular flash drive/SD card but very exclusive to the GS4.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Another recovery method is if you have a way to read sd cards on your computer, a program named recuva works real well. Have used it on hard drives, flash drives, and sd cards. In the case of the sd cards, once recovered, I do a full format and everything seems to work fine afterwards.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Davsantos

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

I managed to get half of the stuff back. My SD card was dismounted when I started USB debug mode following this How to recover deleted files from Samsung Galaxy S4 - Up-to-date Tech News and Reviews. I mounted the SD card again and half of the stuff I had lost was back. I copied right away. Unfortunately, the other half had a movie that was really dear to me. Anyway, I will buy the card reader and try with a recovery software.

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

I couldn't say if the SD card being a 4 or 10 makes any difference. The new cards I just installed are 10 for the higher speed.

As for the freezer trick, it is an old computer trick I learned long ago. When a hard drive fails sometimes the data can be recovered by placing the drive in the freezer for a couple of days. My guess would be this has nothing to do with "cooling down" but rather more to do with a temporary correction on the corrupt part of a drive as result of the extreme cold. I had never tried with an SD card prior to this but I figured it was my only shot. The important thing to remember is not to panic and attempt the many things we all do when data disappears. I have noted by past experience the trick is to NOT do anything aside from moving the data to a known good drive and once there taking a look at the result. I have lost data on hard drives by attempting to look before transfer. It sounds like a joke but it does work, just have to have the patience to wait out the long transfer time, I imagine due to the corrupt source.

If this info helps even one more person save memories then my time was well spent in sharing. Good luck!

P.S. My opinion would still be that the phone itself creates this problem and not the SD card. After all, this appears to be non exclusive to any particular flash drive/SD card but very exclusive to the GS4.

Yea I can now see how the fault seems to point towards the phone instead of the SD card, since the problem has been persistent with the same phone while the SD cards may differ.

If I ever were to have the time, I would consider trying out another S card to see how it works out.. That may help with really seeing what had been causing the problems..

Thank you again for the help! :D

preposterphone

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

My theory is that it's actually the corruption of the card that is causing the heat, not the other way around. I had my SD card fail this weekend, and my various apps that were trying to access the card were running constantly, which ran the battery down and ran the temperature up. Once I removed the card, the battery use returned to normal and the temp cooled down to regular levels.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

The corruption bug bit me a week or so ago. I've been using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB card (genuine card I bought directly from Amazon.com). The issues started around the time that I upgraded to Android 4.3, but that might be merely coincidental. The issue manifested with my card with regard to newly-added image and music files. The 40GB or so of music I've had on the card for the past month is fine, but anything I try to add gets corrupted fast. The same thing happens with image files from the camera. Also, after I moved a bunch of apps I had on the SD card back to the phone I found a couple would not move, indicating those files had been corrupted also. I found that the phone would not format the card, nor would my wife's Android tablet. I also found what seemed odd behavior, in that if I deleted a file from the card, when I looked at the card later the file would be back. On the other hand, I've had no problem with the card spontaneously unmounting. I just got an RMA approval from SanDisk and am sending the card in for replacement. I'm hoping that the new one will work, and wish good luck to all the S4 users with SD card issues.

walt555

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You'll forgive me for not reading the entire post, but if you haven't already fixed the issue know that it is due to the fact that you used a Sandisk SD card.... I had the same issue, called Sandisk and had them send me another card and that card took a crap too. My buddy had a Sandisk he took from his Note 1 and tried to use it in his S4 and it too crapped out. I ended up going with a Samsung SD Card and so far so good! Good Luck!

I have had all these problems and it seems to freak anytime I try to write a file over about 1gb in size. I have had this issue with both my Sandisk and my Samsung micro sd cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

I have had all these problems and it seems to freak anytime I try to write a file over about 1gb in size. I have had this issue with both my Sandisk and my Samsung micro sd cards.

I've mentioned before that I have also noticed large transfers seem to be one of the main causes of the corruption. I'm not super sure why this may be, but it could be the phone not being able to write a ton of information onto the card at one time. I'm sure the card is technically able to handle a large data transfer itself...

Angela Sheardown

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

I found the same thing, I bought a tablet about a week ago and bought an external 32 Gig SD Card for it and the files kept getting corrupted when I transferred to my tablet. I finally figured out transferring the files one at a time works! I have not had an issue since doing it this way.

kingb71

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

My 32 GB Micro SD card got corrupted yesterday.
I took some photos at work, took the card out of the phone, put it in a holder and then moved the pictures off the card to my work PC (runs WinXP).
I then deleted the photos. After I put the card back in the phone it got corrupted. My guess is deleting the photos corrupted the card.

However, I did fix it, this is what I did.
When I got home, I took out the card, put it in a holder & put it in my PC (W7).
The PC still recognzed the card. I ran scandisk & defragged the card (after copying the contents), then put it back into the phone and it's as good as new.

Hope this helps.

Bashkov

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

Hi there!

I've just been reading through this thread. Signed up to post a reply 'cause I'm having the same issue as you guys! Now lemme start with the fact that I bought my card very cheap, I suspect it might be a fake, and will be ordering a new one tomorrow. I'll be ordering a Samsung one to put to the test several peoples advice. Anyway..

My card is: 64gb Class 10. MicroSD HC

(It might not be any of that but I don't know a way to find out!)

Okay basically, have been having this issue since day one of my SD card. I first noticed it with music. I'd transfer several gigabytes of data onto my SD card then every piece of info about the files would disappear, I'd try to play the songs and I'd get "This type of file is not supported". A little later the files would just delete and I'd be left with an empty folder on my SD card.

Let me now note that, if I transferred a few songs at a time, I had a larger success rate. When I transferred anything from an album to 10 discographies (several gb of data) It almost ALWAYS gave me that error, straight away.

I've had this issues not only with Music but with Videos (transferred onto the SD Card), apps and pictures taken also. I've had these issues whilst transferring directly to the card (whilst mounted in my phone). I've had the same issues when I've transferred data DIRECTLY onto the SD Card through my PC.

I have formatted and reformatted and unmounted and formatted the card 10s of times and have not been met with a solution.

I tried an old 8gb class 4 card in my phone, this was greeted with the same issues when transferring files whilst it was mounted in the phone. However when I used the PC directly I was not greeted with the problem! (Surprise surprise!)

Now as for pictures getting corrupted. Here is the best solution for you temporarily till we find a proper fix. Go into your phone settings, and make sure you are saving the pictures directly to phone storage. Then enable automatic upload into dropbox (Shouldn't be an issue as you get 52gb free space! ;) ). I have NOT lost a single picture when they are saved to phone storage.

One thing that nobody has mentioned in the thread is if their device is rooted. Mine is rooted. Now I work in a mobile phone repair shop, I spend all day trouble shooting problems similar to this. I've not actually come across this issue before. I inquired with my manager on the situation, his belief was that it was my root effecting it. He has 8 years of experience under his belt and I trusted his opinion. So went home that day and unrooted my device. Sadly however I was greeted yet again with the same issue! Maybe if you guys have a rooted handest you could try unrooting and see if that helped?

I did hope that the 4.3 update would help with this, and infact it has somewhat in regards to the music, some of it is now playable. I was shocked by this actually and immediatly put several gb of songs back onto the SD Card! SAME PROBLEM! :(

Now, I know that was a rather long post to read to but I hope it has clarified a few things for you guys. I will be ordering another Micro SD Card tomorrow and it'll be a Samsung one, I'll get back to you and let you know if I've had any success at all with it. For now I'd be grateful if everyone could list the type of Micro SD Card they are using. Like I said earlier, mine is a Micro SD 'HC'. There are several other types out there and I was wondering if that was something to do with the issue. I have only just found out about this on an Amazon review today actually! :p

Before Using Your SDXC Memory Card

SDXC standard-based memory cards and devices (digital cameras, video cameras, laptops, etc.) are now available. As an early adopter of the new SDXC standard, it is important that you understand how to use your new SDXC memory card to its greatest ability.

Confirm Compatibility

Before inserting your SDXC memory card into your device, confirm the device is compatible with the SDXC standard by locating an SDXC logo on the device or referring to the device's user manual or manufacturer information. Remember:

SDXC device......only SDXC card (64GB upto 2TB)
SDHC device.......both SD card and SDHC card (SDHC cards are 2GB up to 32GB)
SD devices........only SD card (Sdcard are up to 2GB only)

Understanding Backwards Compatibility

SDXC memory cards must only with SDXC devices.
SDXC devices can use SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.
SDHC memory cards can be used with SDHC and SDXC devices.
SDHC devices can use both SD and SDHC memory cards.
SD devices can only use SD memory cards.
Only Use SDXC Memory Cards in SDXC Devices

SDXC devices are backwards compatible, so they accept SD and SDHC memory cards. SDXC memory cards must only be used with SDXC devices and should never be used in non-compatible devices. If you need to format an SDXC memory card, you can typically format it by using your SDXC device or by using the SD Formatter 3.0 with your computer.

If an SDXC memory card is inserted into a computer or device that does not support the SDXC standard, a message may prompt you to format the card. Do not format the SDXC memory card in a non-compatible device because it will erase the data on the SDXC memory card and format the card for a different file system, making it incompatible with SDXC devices.

Possible Device Messages

1. Non-compatible computer

If you accidentally insert your SDXC card into a computer that does not support SDXC (using a direct SD slot or USB reader/writer), the following messages may appear:

Possible Messsages:
*You need to format the disk in the drive'X' before you can use it. Do you want to format it?
*The disk in drive 'X' is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?

CHOOSE NO/CANCEL!
DO NOT FORMAT, OTHERWISE THE CARD IS NO LONGER SDXC FORMAT...I.E. NO LONGER 64GB AND WILL ONLY RECOGNISE A MAX OF 32GB (27.9Gb ON PC)

2. Non-compatible Device

If you accidentally insert your SDXC memory card into an SDHC device that is not compliant, the following messages may appear:

Possible Messages:
*Card Error
*This card cannot be used
*Please check your card
*Format the card

CHOOSE NO/CANCEL!

DO NOT FORMAT, OTHERWISE THE CARD IS NO LONGER SDXC FORMAT...I.E. NO LONGER 64GB AND WILL ONLY RECOGNISE A MAX OF 32GB (27.9Gb ON PC)

SDXC Memory Cards for Computers

The exFAT file system used for SDXC is available on Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP (SP1 or later) with exFAT file system update (KB955704) available from the Microsoft Download Center.
You can access the SDXC card by using an SDXC compatible USB reader or adapter.
If you want to use an SDXC card in the SD slot on your computer, you need an SDXC compatible driver for the SD slot.*
Contact your computer manufacturer to confirm the SD slot on your computer is compatible with SDXC cards and for availability of the SDXC driver.
* An SDXC-compatible driver for the SD slot can be downloaded from the following Microsoft sites. However, please check with your computer manufacturer to determine if the following download is applicable to your computer before applying the download.

Windows 7 Drivers
32-bit Version...[...]
64-bit Version...[...]

Windows Vista Drivers
32bit Version..[...]
64bit Version...[...]

SD Formatter...[...]

From what that states is that my SD HC card CANNOT actually be 64gb. It should only be able to go up to 32gb! (Now if my card has HC and 64gb printed on it that to me is a dead give away that I might have been scammed!)

Anyway post your thoughts, I'll be eagerly awaiting replies!

Many Thanks,

KevroniCoal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Hi there!

I've just been reading through this thread. Signed up to post a reply 'cause I'm having the same issue as you guys! Now lemme start with the fact that I bought my card very cheap, I suspect it might be a fake, and will be ordering a new one tomorrow. I'll be ordering a Samsung one to put to the test several peoples advice. Anyway..

My card is: 64gb Class 10. MicroSD HC

(It might not be any of that but I don't know a way to find out!)

Okay basically, have been having this issue since day one of my SD card. I first noticed it with music. I'd transfer several gigabytes of data onto my SD card then every piece of info about the files would disappear, I'd try to play the songs and I'd get "This type of file is not supported". A little later the files would just delete and I'd be left with an empty folder on my SD card.

Let me now note that, if I transferred a few songs at a time, I had a larger success rate. When I transferred anything from an album to 10 discographies (several gb of data) It almost ALWAYS gave me that error, straight away.

I've had this issues not only with Music but with Videos (transferred onto the SD Card), apps and pictures taken also. I've had these issues whilst transferring directly to the card (whilst mounted in my phone). I've had the same issues when I've transferred data DIRECTLY onto the SD Card through my PC.

I have formatted and reformatted and unmounted and formatted the card 10s of times and have not been met with a solution.

I tried an old 8gb class 4 card in my phone, this was greeted with the same issues when transferring files whilst it was mounted in the phone. However when I used the PC directly I was not greeted with the problem! (Surprise surprise!)

Now as for pictures getting corrupted. Here is the best solution for you temporarily till we find a proper fix. Go into your phone settings, and make sure you are saving the pictures directly to phone storage. Then enable automatic upload into dropbox (Shouldn't be an issue as you get 52gb free space! ;) ). I have NOT lost a single picture when they are saved to phone storage.

One thing that nobody has mentioned in the thread is if their device is rooted. Mine is rooted. Now I work in a mobile phone repair shop, I spend all day trouble shooting problems similar to this. I've not actually come across this issue before. I inquired with my manager on the situation, his belief was that it was my root effecting it. He has 8 years of experience under his belt and I trusted his opinion. So went home that day and unrooted my device. Sadly however I was greeted yet again with the same issue! Maybe if you guys have a rooted handest you could try unrooting and see if that helped?

I did hope that the 4.3 update would help with this, and infact it has somewhat in regards to the music, some of it is now playable. I was shocked by this actually and immediatly put several gb of songs back onto the SD Card! SAME PROBLEM! :(

Now, I know that was a rather long post to read to but I hope it has clarified a few things for you guys. I will be ordering another Micro SD Card tomorrow and it'll be a Samsung one, I'll get back to you and let you know if I've had any success at all with it. For now I'd be grateful if everyone could list the type of Micro SD Card they are using. Like I said earlier, mine is a Micro SD 'HC'. There are several other types out there and I was wondering if that was something to do with the issue. I have only just found out about this on an Amazon review today actually! :p

From what that states is that my SD HC card CANNOT actually be 64gb. It should only be able to go up to 32gb! (Now if my card has HC and 64gb printed on it that to me is a dead give away that I might have been scammed!)

Anyway post your thoughts, I'll be eagerly awaiting replies!

Many Thanks,

Thanks a great deal for this reply!!

To help with the info:
my phone has never been rooted and my SD card is a Sandisk 32GB class 4 I believe (the card is currently sitting in my phone, empty and not in use..).

I'm (mostly, I guess like 95%) sure the SD card is legitimate. I got it from Amazon for a nearly 'full' price, the product had good reviews and the card was in "official" Sandisk packaging.

For storing and backing up photos and videos, I have been doing what you recommended - save to the phone memory for no chance of corruption and have the files be automatically upload to Dropbox. I also have them upload to Google+, as I mentioned in my previous posts. (Anyone know if you can also upload to SkyDrive as well? From the looks of the photos saved into there, SkyDrive keeps the best quality I think. I may try to upload the same photo to the 3 services, then redownload the files and compare hoe they may look, as well as just viewing them on each service..).

ANYWAYS, since I still have my card in my phone, I should see if corruption still occurs after the 4.3 update. I never thought about trying this since I kind of got used to not using my card after awhile..

Also, if that goes down the drain, I may also test how the card handles when transferring from my PC - then maybe even perhaps from another device, like my old HTC Design.

I haven't necessarily tried another SD card if I am recalling that correctly... One of the only other cards I think I have is a scam one my dad bought for $10 off eBay. It claimed to be a 64GB; but besides the memory size, it wasn't labeled at all hahah.

Oh, and to test to see if an SD card is legit, your could try the program "h2testw." I tested the scam card, which the h2testw informed me that it is actually an 8GB card. I may try the program in my Sandisk card to see if it truly is 32GB or not!

Sorry for the long reply, but hopefully it has helped in a way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca