Galaxy S5: Camera/Gallery Issue - Grey box over photos

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I was having this issue as well, and just swapped my SD card and that seems to have fixed the issue. My old one was 4+ years old (16GB), so I guess it was just time to go.

Although, a short term solution that seems to have worked for 99% of the photos this has happened to - I had Dropbox Sync on, and it seems that the Dropbox sync'ed versions of the photos are fine. I was getting the gray boxes a bit after the images were taken, so maybe some of you can try that.

cjohnson421

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My errors appears to be happening on photos saved to my SD card. I too have a Samsung pro 64 gig micro sdxc card. I bought it from Amazon so I'm hoping it's not a fake. I ordered 2 cards, one for a friend, and she's not having any issues on her s5. I've reformatted the card and have the same issues. Latest picture turned grey after 1 day. When I get my phone replacement I'll see if it is the card or SD card.

Mine was the Samsung from Amazon too. Retail package from 3rd party seller, but no genuine seal on package (is there supposed to be?). Ran speed test and only showed 4mbps read speed. Not sure if that is because it was connected to an adapter (maybe adapter needs to be high speed compatible?). I'm thinking I will return the card. The cost savings isn't enough to justify the frustration of losing photos.

cjohnson421

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I was having this issue as well, and just swapped my SD card and that seems to have fixed the issue. My old one was 4+ years old (16GB), so I guess it was just time to go.

Although, a short term solution that seems to have worked for 99% of the photos this has happened to - I had Dropbox Sync on, and it seems that the Dropbox sync'ed versions of the photos are fine. I was getting the gray boxes a bit after the images were taken, so maybe some of you can try that.

Yes mine were also fine with Drop Box sync. Somehow they get uploaded before saved to card. Good idea.

cjohnson421

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: Good News! It's was definitely the card!!

Purchased a SanDisc Ultra 64GB card from Verizon. They did not sell the Samsung (which is odd considering its a Samsung phone). Went home and ran speed test and was TRIPLE the write speed as the Samsung. Copied 2GB of music to it in 2 mins. Other card had taken an hour.

Samsung 64GB Pro (from Amazon)
Test finished without errors.
Writing speed: 3.84 MByte/s
Reading speed: 15.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Sandisc 64GB Ultra (from Verizon)
Test finished without errors.
Writing speed: 13.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So....strangely, the Samsung 64GB from Amazon 3rd party (in retail package) was probably counterfeit. Adding to it the fact that when I went to return it, Amazon said "item was no longer available from seller" (in the case of replacement request). Regardless, it's going back for a refund!

Seeing Samsung 64GB cards on ebay and amazon for $50-$60, and this SanDisc Ultra (with supposedly slower speeds) was twice the price at Verizon ($99). But it works and I know that it is genuine, and if there were an issue that Verizon would swap it. The price difference was hard to take but having this nightmare over makes it worth the extra $50. I can sleep knowing my photos will be ok and wont "turn" on me :)

Happy snapping!

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
where do you see yours song covers? on the phone? my songs just have a blank image.

Some of my song covers get loaded automatically, but most are downloaded with music that doesn't have tags for the phone to find the cover art. I use itag from Playstore. (tried the others, this works the best for me. It crashes once in a while, but it still is better than the others I've tried.)

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
My errors appears to be happening on photos saved to my SD card. I too have a Samsung pro 64 gig micro sdxc card. I bought it from Amazon so I'm hoping it's not a fake. I ordered 2 cards, one for a friend, and she's not having any issues on her s5. I've reformatted the card and have the same issues. Latest picture turned grey after 1 day. When I get my phone replacement I'll see if it is the card or SD card.

Is your S5 with Verizon?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm so glad it was the card for you as well. I must say I bought my failed card from Best Buy retail and it was bad too (I didn't ever speed test it though) and I bought my replacement Sandisk Ultra Plus from Best Buy too and thankfully that one is working great and so fast, love it. I'm so glad it wasn't our phones!!! :)

anriba

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone recovered the greyed out pictures and videos? if so how? I traced mine to a counterfit scandisk card as the source

diamondRanch

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone recovered the greyed out pictures and videos? if so how? I traced mine to a counterfit scandisk card as the source

I wasn't able to recover the ones already grayed out. But my new card, SanDisk ultra plus, is still working perfect. (Bought at best buy).
I hope someone recovered theirs and tells you how, sorry I just deleted mine.

Posted via Android Central App

trickym81

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had this happen with a Lexar card. A few photos got grey boxes over them and then some completely disappeared.
I returned the card and got a SanDisk one, so hopefully it's better.

Albert Buwono

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I had this happen with a Lexar card. A few photos got grey boxes over them and then some completely disappeared.
I returned the card and got a SanDisk one, so hopefully it's better.

I use 64gb sandisk ultra genuine class 10. Before update the software. It didnt happen. After i update it happend. So i save in internal storage.
Maybe i try to change the sdcard and try it.

geologyman

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The problem with the grey boxes have showed up on both my wife's and my Galaxy S5 phone. It appears to be somewhat random. It occurred before I installed any SD card into my phone and has continued on both phones, one with an SD card and one without. Although most are grey boxes, I have random size boxes with one with a green box and one with a black box. The picture comes up without the box and within less than a second puts the box over top of the pic. A "techie: at the phone company had me transfer all the pics to the SD card which caused about 50% of the pics I had stored on the camera to show up with grey boxes when transferred to the SD storage. They suggested exchanging the phone for a new one. The people at T-Mobile are clueless as to the cause.

bbengi

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. It happens to. 50 % of photos usually within a week of taking the photo. My 2nd phone didn't t developed the problem until 2 months old. Just had a replacement ] hone received 2 weeks ago. It has the same problem too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick