Galaxy s5 screen doesn't work when wet

lloydbg

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I bought a used galaxy s5 on amazon and when ever I get any drops of water on the screen the screen stops working. If its just a tiny amount the screen flickers and doesn't respond to any touches. If its large drops of water then the screen doesn't flicker but again it doesn't respond to any input.

Can anybody tell me if this is typical behaviour or not? I'm thinking no and that the screen has been repaired and replaced with a cheaper version but i would like to be sure.

Thanks

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I bought a used galaxy s5 on amazon and when ever I get any drops of water on the screen the screen stops working. If its just a tiny amount the screen flickers and doesn't respond to any touches. If its large drops of water then the screen doesn't flicker but again it doesn't respond to any input.

Can anybody tell me if this is typical behaviour or not? I'm thinking no and that the screen has been repaired and replaced with a cheaper version but i would like to be sure.

Thanks

The first thing to check for is to see if your Galaxy S5 has previously had water damage as although the phone is water resistant it is not waterproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6FA-HPQGg

lloydbg

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s5 screen doesn't respond to touches if there are drops of water on it

Thanks for your input but I don't really see what difference that makes. The phones performs flawlessly most of the time. The only time i have a problem is when I get any drops of water on the screen.

All i need is for somebody with a galaxy s5 (which has the original glass / screen) to put a couple of small drops of water on the screen and see if it will still respond to the touch of there fingers (mine won't).

To give a bit more background, I've had a galaxy s5 in the past but don't remember this problem, but perhaps I'm mistaken. And the reason I'm making such a fuss about it is I bought this used one to mount on my handlebars to use with strava, but as soon as I get a drop of water on it it craps out.

As I said, if somebody could just test there's to see if it still responds to touches once there is a drop of water on the screen it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It's not normal. I've had moisture/rain on my screen before and no issues. As @ironass states - take a look for the water damage indicator. That may show that it DID get some water damage before you got it, and perhaps it was badly repaired. Or not at all. If you got a good deal on it, that could be the reason why.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

can3gwx's experience notwithstanding, as I recently bought a new S5, I have recently read the owner's manual. It does state that the touch screen will not work properly when wet. I'm not sure about the flickering, that does sound odd.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
lloydbg, under Settings -> Display have you tried changing the setting for "Increase touch sensitivity?" It's meant for gloved hands, but maybe it would make the screen too sensitive to water drops.