Galaxy S8 & S8+ VOICE TO TEXT - How to Fix - Tap to Talk Nightmare - Dictating Messages Not Working

Big Stotsky

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
ChrisOK, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I have been dicking around with this problem in one way shape or another since I bought the phone last April. I didn't have a "General Management" entry in Settings, so this is how I got there:
Setrings > Language and input > On-screen keyboard > Manage keyboards > Samsung voice input, which I subsequently turned off. And just like LisaS82, you have relieved me of an enormous amount of tension. I am very grateful, Thank You Again!

Yes, I have the S8 on Verizon and if you will look at my post below you'll see how to fix your problem! Happy Hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:

myetc8

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8 & S8+ VOICE TO TEXT - How to Fix - Tap to Talk Nightmare - Dictating Messages Not Work

Fantastic! Can't believe how much better this is! Wish I would have found this a year ago!!! Thanks ChrisOK!!!

For Galaxay S8 follow this path: Settings>Language and Input>On-screen Keyboard>Manage Keyboards>Toggle OFF Samsung Voice

Teresafeliu

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8 & S8+ VOICE TO TEXT - How to Fix - Tap to Talk Nightmare - Dictating Messages Not Work

This worked on my Galaxy S9+. Thank you so much! I've had this phone for 2 weeks and I have been going insane with the voice text problems. This fixed it!

Gina Bailey

Jul 25, 2018
Visit site

Ut just took over my google talk to text cant see to type, don't know how to fix it
Granny

grammydj

Jan 10, 2019
Visit site

ChrisOK...you are amazing. I've been trying to figure out the voice to text on my samsung note 8 for over a month now, Googling and trying to follow MULTIPLE suggestions on the Internet to no avail. Used YOUR steps and it's now working. I've bookmarked the page in case it ever happens again cuz I doubt I'll remember what I did. You really saved people from a lot of frustration.

Eric Fro

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site

Tried using the step by step instructions of a Verizon post to locate this setting in my SPRINT S8+ to try to get the text to speech working but the navigation path was not accurate for my case and probably others (apparently the navigation for the phone is different from Verizon)..

AFTER MUCH STRESS, I FINALLY LOCATED WHERE/HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM!! So happy!

THE PROBLEM WAS:

My previous Galaxy never had an issue, but this one (S8+) came pre-set with this setting that must be turned off - otherwise, you'll go in sane!!
--it brings up a large blue box that says: "TAP TO TALK"
--When I tap, it beeps and activates like it is listening then instantly stops listening...
--After numerous attempts and talking very slowly like a robot, it then will work on occasion..

I was able to locate a page called: VIRTUAL KEYBOARD (has 4 line items listed)
-Samsung Keyboard
-Google Voice Typing
-Samsung Voice Input
-(+) Manage keyboards

When I click on Samsung voice input there's no way to toggle on/off..
It loads a sub-menu with the following:
LANGUAGE:
.. (English) w/ option to (+) Add input languages
OTHER SETTINGS:
..(Hide offensive words) with slide toggle available (which was automatically on)

When I try to slide left or right on that actual line item from the VIRTUAL KEYBOARD list, nothing happens, (no option to disable, remove or turn off)

SOLUTION IS:
To be crystal clear, here's how I accessed the setting where I was finally able to turn it off:
From the top of your phone, slide down to see the SETTINGS (cog wheel icon), click that one!
Then, navigate through the below navigation path:
SETTINGS > GENERAL MANAGEMENT > LANGUAGE AND INPUT > VIRTUAL KEYBOARD

This is where the 3 line items are listed with a 4th line that says "(+) Manage Keyboards"
(When I saw the (+) plus sign, I assumed it meant I could add options to manage keyboards so I ignored what I thought was an adding feature. (Similar to "(+) Add additional language")
ANYHOW -- "(+) MANAGE KEYBOARDS" IS YOUR FRIEND!!

I clicked the 4th item "(+) Manage Keyboards" and this opened a new menu page called:
MANAGE KEYBOARDS (below this, are 3 items with toggle slides) Hallelujah!!!
...Samsung Keyboard (toggle = off)
...Google voice typing (toggle = on)
...Samsung voice input (toggle = on) -- <<< TURNED THIS TO OFF!!! <<<

Navigated back out, opened a text message string, hit the mic icon, and the big blue "Tap to Talk" was gone and Praise the Lord -- it works beautifully again!!
Hope this alleviates much pain and suffering for others...
Chris

Solid solution ! "Manage keyboard" was the key, thanks ChrisOK

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards