Galaxy S8 & S8+ VOICE TO TEXT - How to Fix - Tap to Talk Nightmare - Dictating Messages Not Working

LisaS82

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
Tried using the step by step instructions of a Verizon post to locate this setting in my SPRINT S8+ to try to get the text to speech working but the navigation path was not accurate for my case and probably others (apparently the navigation for the phone is different from Verizon)..

AFTER MUCH STRESS, I FINALLY LOCATED WHERE/HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM!! So happy!

THE PROBLEM WAS:

My previous Galaxy never had an issue, but this one (S8+) came pre-set with this setting that must be turned off - otherwise, you'll go in sane!!
--it brings up a large blue box that says: "TAP TO TALK"
--When I tap, it beeps and activates like it is listening then instantly stops listening...
--After numerous attempts and talking very slowly like a robot, it then will work on occasion..

I was able to locate a page called: VIRTUAL KEYBOARD (has 4 line items listed)
-Samsung Keyboard
-Google Voice Typing
-Samsung Voice Input
-(+) Manage keyboards

When I click on Samsung voice input there's no way to toggle on/off..
It loads a sub-menu with the following:
LANGUAGE:
.. (English) w/ option to (+) Add input languages
OTHER SETTINGS:
..(Hide offensive words) with slide toggle available (which was automatically on)

When I try to slide left or right on that actual line item from the VIRTUAL KEYBOARD list, nothing happens, (no option to disable, remove or turn off)

SOLUTION IS:
To be crystal clear, here's how I accessed the setting where I was finally able to turn it off:
From the top of your phone, slide down to see the SETTINGS (cog wheel icon), click that one!
Then, navigate through the below navigation path:
SETTINGS > GENERAL MANAGEMENT > LANGUAGE AND INPUT > VIRTUAL KEYBOARD

This is where the 3 line items are listed with a 4th line that says "(+) Manage Keyboards"
(When I saw the (+) plus sign, I assumed it meant I could add options to manage keyboards so I ignored what I thought was an adding feature. (Similar to "(+) Add additional language")
ANYHOW -- "(+) MANAGE KEYBOARDS" IS YOUR FRIEND!!

I clicked the 4th item "(+) Manage Keyboards" and this opened a new menu page called:
MANAGE KEYBOARDS (below this, are 3 items with toggle slides) Hallelujah!!!
...Samsung Keyboard (toggle = off)
...Google voice typing (toggle = on)
...Samsung voice input (toggle = on) -- <<< TURNED THIS TO OFF!!! <<<

Navigated back out, opened a text message string, hit the mic icon, and the big blue "Tap to Talk" was gone and Praise the Lord -- it works beautifully again!!
Hope this alleviates much pain and suffering for others...
Chris

Oh my Gosh!! Thank you so much, you've eliminated A LOT of stress throughout the day!! Follow the steps and it's Fixed:) Thank-You

Last edited by a moderator:

Pickaduck

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8 & S8+ VOICE TO TEXT - How to Fix - Tap to Talk Nightmare - Dictating Messages Not Work

ChrisOK...thank you, thank you thank God for you, the
Wind beneath my wings...

Lopezlex963

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8 & S8+ VOICE TO TEXT - How to Fix - Tap to Talk Nightmare - Dictating Messages Not Work

I just got the S8 Plus and it does not have the virtual keyboard in...... SETTINGS > GENERAL MANAGEMENT > LANGUAGE AND INPUT > VIRTUAL KEYBOARD. I've set Google as my preferred tts engine. I also tried to disable samsung voice input on apps manager however it is grayed out. Any suggestions? I'm dying here with Bixby.

BroncosJenn

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

You sir, are a God amoung is mere mortals!! Thank you!!

NA_3ZX92

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site

Thank you so much for this post. I have an S8+ on Verizon. I hate both the Bixby button (what good is a personal assistant feature you can't use or customize?!?!) AND the Samsung speech-to-text. This helped me disable it, but it comes back ALL THE TIME. Randomly, it seems.

SO FRUSTRATING. I am ready to start looking into AT&T just so I can have a decent experience with this phone :/

Alright fellow frustratee's... step by step (per S8 - T.Mobile at least)

Settings>Apps>3 "more" dots - top right corner>special access>3 more dots>show system apps>scroll down... a little further... Samsung voice ****put? Toggle blue, to grey!

Hope this helps all that stumble across it! 👍

Lopezlex963

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site

I just got the S8 Plus and it does not have the virtual keyboard in...... SETTINGS > GENERAL MANAGEMENT > LANGUAGE AND INPUT > VIRTUAL KEYBOARD. I've set Google as my preferred tts engine. I also tried to disable samsung voice input on apps manager however it is grayed out. Any suggestions? I'm dying here with Bixby.

SOLVED IT FINALLY..... THIS WORKED FOR ME.
Settings >apps>more options(three dots)> show system apps>there are 2 Samsung voice inputs, select the one with microphone icon then disable app.

down1plus2

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

I just downloaded package disabled from play store, then disable annoying bixby then disabled samsung voice text, boom problem solved.

Chris Rosas

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I found the solution goo to apps and find the Google app
and disable an reenable the the mic under permissions this should do the trick if nothing else works :)

Glassslipper

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site

Also, I noticed when you change your DEFAULT KEYBOARD FROM Samsung to Google, MAKE SURE that you ALSO CHANGE the other option under KEYBOARD SETTINGS that says in its description - 'Show onscreen keyboard while physical keyboard is being used' to the OFF position. -TOGGLE TO OFF! Otherwise your Samsung keyboard, although no longer your DEFAULT KEYBOARD, will just continue to override your Google Keyboard, that you just made your DEFAULT and it will all have been for nothing or it will very briefly give you your mic back, but then revert back to Samsung aboard again minus the mic. Well, at least that is what worked for me. Good luck!!! Oh and p.s. I am in a SAMSUNG GALAXY S8+ if that helps!

i8afli

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site

If anyone on this forum can connect to their vehicle bluetooth device, but find that their voice to text no longer works, I found the trick is to turn off your wifi.

I don't know why Samsung would've set their systems up that way, but after frustratingly yelling at my phone to try to get it to recognize my voice while driving, for safety, it didn't even register.
Once wifi was off, it worked perfectly fine.

Unfortunately it's a flaw with their programming, but that seems to be the workaround for that issue specifically.

Rachmak

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site

ChrisOK, you are my hero!!! Total game changer....thank you!!!

AlexCHI

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site

SOLUTION IS:
From the top of your phone, slide down to see the SETTINGS (cog wheel icon), click that one!
Then, navigate through the below navigation path:
SETTINGS > GENERAL MANAGEMENT > LANGUAGE AND INPUT > VIRTUAL KEYBOARD

This is where the 3 line items are listed with a 4th line that says "(+) Manage Keyboards"
(When I saw the (+) plus sign, I assumed it meant I could add options to manage keyboards so I ignored what I thought was an adding feature. (Similar to "(+) Add additional language")
ANYHOW -- "(+) MANAGE KEYBOARDS" IS YOUR FRIEND!!

I clicked the 4th item "(+) Manage Keyboards" and this opened a new menu page called:
MANAGE KEYBOARDS (below this, are 3 items with toggle slides) Hallelujah!!!
...Samsung Keyboard (toggle = off)
...Google voice typing (toggle = on)
...Samsung voice input (toggle = on) -- <<< TURNED THIS TO OFF!!! <<<

Navigated back out, opened a text message string, hit the mic icon, and the big blue "Tap to Talk" was gone and Praise the Lord -- it works beautifully again!!
Hope this alleviates much pain and suffering for others...
Chris

Praise the Lord for your willingness to share the solution with all, Chris! Went to T-Mobile store for help and glad came across your post before trying their suggestion to restore the phone to factory setting. Works now, thank you again!

lavallie

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the instructions! I was about to give up I'm voice to text when I read this article. Right now it's working like a champ I will be checking regularly to see if it slips back to Samsung which does not work very well.

Emarray

Dec 26, 2017
Visit site
THANK YOU! I used your steps on my T-Mobile Samsung S8 Active and figured it out. Sooooo glad to have Google voice back. Samsung voice would assume if I stopped in the middle of a sentence, that when I started again, I was beginning a new sentence so it'd add a space and then capitalize the first word. I figure out how to turn the auto-cap OFF, but then it wouldn't capitalize the first word of a new sentence. Google voice actually does all this properly the first time. And it's waaaay better at word recognition. Maybe if I'd used Bixby it would have worked itself out over time but I disabled everything Bixby I could because I hated it interrupting everything I did. My 18yo son thinks it's cool, lol. Me, not so much. (The kids were watching Terminator last night and they wonder why all this AI stuff wigs me out.) :D

Crossing my fingers that Samsung voice never comes back.

Last edited by a moderator:

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm not able to toggle off Samsung keyboard. :/

Verizon S8
2083d7e0c6d90be30e99e2f8058bac02.jpg

Jolie Garrett

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site

Chris, I followed your instructions to the letter and my problem was fixed in 5 minutes! Thanks!
Jolie
Philadelphia

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Wohoo! Another bunch of satisfied customers :)
Love this forum!

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

Do any of you have the S8 on Verizon by any chance?

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

This is the message I started getting today when i tried to text

samsung voice input currently unavailable try again later

Anyone see this before

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred