Galaxy S9/S9+ cameras

TenTuTego

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
So after the first look at the new Samsung phones , what are your impressions about its cameras? Enough to outrun pixel 2 or maybe not a deal breaker? I've seen some great low light performance so far .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So after the first look at the new Samsung phones , what are your impressions about its cameras? Enough to outrun pixel 2 or maybe not a deal breaker? I've seen some great low light performance so far .

Not enough for me to give up the Pixel experience including their product support.
Honestly nothing ground breaking is happening to jump from one phone to the next.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure they are great, but I'm sticking with my Pixel 2 decision. Samsung always seems to put out good cameras, however. I'm sure future users will not be disappointed in them!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I am more interested in snapdragon 845. From snapdragon 820 to 835, I noticed very good upgrade for power and efficiency.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hardware-wise, it's pretty great.

Aside from the dual aperture, the biggest change for me is the sensor itself. Aside from the improved autofocus, the other big change is the stacked DRAM on the sensor itself. Samsung is by no means the first to do this (Sony was) but they may be able to kick start a trend. Google may probably use this to their advantage to further improve HDR+.

Of course, good hardware is only part of a great camera. Software has to play a role too. Samsung is touting image stacking as part of their efforts to reduce noise but it's interesting to see how it stacks up to HDR+, arguably the best form of automatic post processing out there

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My mom and I are switching carriers soon and getting new phones then, so I'm waiting until that happens! I've *almost* convinced her to get a Pixel 2, as well! Can't wait to get it!

Since you both will have Google phones, have you considered Google Project Fi?

zigaliro

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site

I did watch some camera tests and im disappointed considering S9 should have camera "reimagined".