Getting paid to upgrade to Pixel 2 XL : should I do it?

2jzgte

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Long story short, I got the opportunity to upgrade from Pixel XL 128gb to Pixel 2 XL 64gb + I get 150 CAD cash.

I'm wondering if it's really a no-brainer like it seems, or if I should stick to my original Pixel.

I read and watched reviews, and the one thing that's bothering me is the screen issues (mainly color fade at an angle and faded colors). Did they fix those after the november updates?

What about battery life?

I don't care about the headphone jack or stereo speakers, as I only listen to music on bluetooth/wifi/car speakers.

Any information would be appreciated, especially from those who upgraded from the original Pixel.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
The Pixel 2 XL has a 2 year warranty, so you would def be ahead there. The 2 also has the visual core. The 64gb of space you would give up I don't know if that is something imp to you or not.

The screen issues are there but not as bad as people make out. Mine is fine, and it was made in October. Loving the 2XL so far.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Display issues are either non-existent or overblown, depending on which issues you are hearing about. The color difference you can see on your XL too - if you go into dev options and set the display to sRGB - that's the default setting on the 2XL.

Battery life is better on the 2 XL.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 2 XL has a 2 year warranty, so you would def be ahead there. The 2 also has the visual core. The 64gb of space you would give up I don't know if that is something imp to you or not.

The screen issues are there but not as bad as people make out. Mine is fine, and it was made in October. Loving the 2XL so far.

How do you tell when it was made!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Short answer, just do it unless that extra 64GB is critical.

In terms of warranty, your XL is either ended or likely near to ending; you'll have 2 full years on the 2 XL. Battery life is better. You'll receive updates longer and to further subsequent OS revisions. Mine is from the original batch and I have less off-axis color shift than several iPhone X's in my office - not an issue unless you make an effort to hold the phone at a strange angle. If you were happy with color rendition on the XL, you'll be fine with the 2 XL, choosing from the three available settings. Resale value in another year will be tremendously higher (and it would be higher now, as well). It is an incremental improvement in nearly every aspect if you forgive the omission of the headphone jack, and a dramatic improvement in the camera.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The saturated color mode makes the colors on the display of the 2 XL look like a Samsung display, which I like. As for the off-axis blue shift, it's a non-issue. I had the same amount of blue shifting on my iPhone X and S8 Active. I haven't had any issues with burn-in (ahem, image retention) either.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Long story short, I got the opportunity to upgrade from Pixel XL 128gb to Pixel 2 XL 64gb + I get 150 CAD cash.

I'm wondering if it's really a no-brainer like it seems, or if I should stick to my original Pixel.

I read and watched reviews, and the one thing that's bothering me is the screen issues (mainly color fade at an angle and faded colors). Did they fix those after the november updates?

What about battery life?

I don't care about the headphone jack or stereo speakers, as I only listen to music on bluetooth/wifi/car speakers.

Any information would be appreciated, especially from those who upgraded from the original Pixel.

I normally am a fan of more memory but I would take the deal

2jzgte

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I could get the 128gb but that would leave me without the extra money. It's still a good deal considering I'm selling my old pixel xl and getting a brand new one without losing money.

The question is : is 64gb enough? Most of my storage use is pictures and videos. I don't download games or anything like that. I'm currently using 22gb (without pictures and videos) out of my 128gb.
Whether the extra 64gb is worth the 150$ is another question.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I could get the 128gb but that would leave me without the extra money. It's still a good deal considering I'm selling my old pixel xl and getting a brand new one without losing money.

The question is : is 64gb enough? Most of my storage use is pictures and videos. I don't download games or anything like that. I'm currently using 22gb (without pictures and videos) out of my 128gb.

Sounds like you're going to do fine with 64 GB.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like you answered your own question. For my needs I prefer 128 but I store a lot of high definition audio files so that's a bit different from your needs.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think that's a great deal! Go for it! And if you are not satisfied with it, then you can always return it. :)

Many users here report good screens or minimal blue shifts; and I've heard battery life is really good!

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Short answer, just do it unless that extra 64GB is critical.

In terms of warranty, your XL is either ended or likely near to ending; you'll have 2 full years on the 2 XL. Battery life is better. You'll receive updates longer and to further subsequent OS revisions. Mine is from the original batch and I have less off-axis color shift than several iPhone X's in my office - not an issue unless you make an effort to hold the phone at a strange angle. If you were happy with color rendition on the XL, you'll be fine with the 2 XL, choosing from the three available settings. Resale value in another year will be tremendously higher (and it would be higher now, as well). It is an incremental improvement in nearly every aspect if you forgive the omission of the headphone jack, and a dramatic improvement in the camera.
This.... It is a no brainier if you don't need that extra memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte