Gingerbread is here!

zymos

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If it was widespread, there would be responses. The phone I had was able to charge via usb port on notebook and via the included wall charger, both after the ZVH update.

It IS widespread- Sprint's forums and androidforums are packed with posts about this issue!

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I am just checking in after this 2.3 update.

I have to say i had a horrible time getting re-registered at this site and had to change my user ID etc.

Better get my eyes re-examined too with the icons on this update.

PS After reading the posts, mine is charging OK with USB. At 100%, and under microscope icon changes to show charging.

Last edited:

kb64

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
First to Mcbrett, yes it started loading by itself. I plugged the charger in went to bed and when I got up it was at 91%. It appeared to set up without any problems, but as I use it there are a number of issues. Keyboard is using my contact list for predictive text. I will get a new keyboard off the Android market. It no longer charges using usb, which is a pain.The icons in the status bar are so small I will need a magnifying glass. Haven't used the camera yet so can't comment on that.

dymccre290

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
The notification for my OTA update popped up as soon as my alarm went off this morning. I have to say, it was one of the fastest updates I have seen.

As for the charging issue, it updated while on the charger and still charges just fine. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

anon(332172)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
First to Mcbrett, yes it started loading by itself. I plugged the charger in went to bed and when I got up it was at 91%. It appeared to set up without any problems, but as I use it there are a number of issues. Keyboard is using my contact list for predictive text. I will get a new keyboard off the Android market. It no longer charges using usb, which is a pain.The icons in the status bar are so small I will need a magnifying glass. Haven't used the camera yet so can't comment on that.

So I'm a bit confused. I thought the update will download automatically but gave you a couple of options. I think they're reboot and install, more info, and something like ignore or install later, or something like that. From what I've read, in the past if you hit the more info button, then pull the battery, it will keep the update notification from coming back without actually installing the update. Is this something like what you saw when you updated?

I haven't seen the update notification yet, but I'm very concerned because I'm rooted with Reborn, and I know it'll brick if the update installs. Is there a way to make sure this doesn't install and brick our rooted phones?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It IS widespread- Sprint's forums and androidforums are packed with posts about this issue!
I'm not saying you don't have the issue. I'm just saying it isn't widespread as in it isn't happening to almost everyone. You can usually get a feel from responses whether everyone is affected or only some. Everyone problems get lots of posts immediately with (almost) everyone concurring. Some people problems get slower responses with some people saying they see the problem and others saying they don't. It doesn't mean you don't have a legitimate problem or that you are doing something wrong.

A widespread problem is something like the keyboard problem where everyone is affected.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen the update notification yet, but I'm very concerned because I'm rooted with Reborn, and I know it'll brick if the update installs. Is there a way to make sure this doesn't install and brick our rooted phones?
As long as you have stock recovery, it will flash the radio and you should be ok, even with reborn. A few people have done it that way. However the caveat is any rom update could brick your phone even if you are running stock, let alone a custom ROM. I would consider it a rare occurrence for how this update is written, but I couldn't say it will never happen because you do enough upgrades there will always be some.

kb64

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I have resolved all of the issues I had with this update. As I said it started updating during the night and was at 91% when I even noticed it. VT solo2 there may have been some install options that I didn't pay any attention to cause I just hit the install update and let her go. I did get the LG driver from a link on the Sprint forum and it is charging off the usb port on my laptop now. I downloaded the gingerbread keyboard and that issue seems to have been resolved. Tryed the camera and it works ok. I guess after all the hype and anticipation this has been a let down, and all I have is some really small icons on the status bar.:(

zymos

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough- it doesn't effect everyone, but it does effect many people. And lots of people don't even have the update yet.

Least of my worries though- I've been arguing with Credo since Thurs. about not having 3G since the update. They are telling me they have to confirm whether it is a problem with Sprint's towers or my phone!
Even though my wife and son have the exact same phone as I do, still on Froyo, with no problems, and my issue occurred as soon as I rebooted after the update.

Oh well- I'll be using the links from your sig to root it pretty soon, so thanks for that!

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Well I was so happy this morning when I got the ota update but within seconds that happiness faded. What we got is icons you need a magnifying glass to see, a keyboard that only suggests your contacts for every word, and the loss of ability to use chargers other than OEM. Thanks Sprint you made a middle of the road phone worse good job. I guess this is a be careful what you wish for situation.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough- it doesn't effect everyone, but it does effect many people. And lots of people don't even have the update yet.

Least of my worries though- I've been arguing with Credo since Thurs. about not having 3G since the update. They are telling me they have to confirm whether it is a problem with Sprint's towers or my phone!
Even though my wife and son have the exact same phone as I do, still on Froyo, with no problems, and my issue occurred as soon as I rebooted after the update.

Oh well- I'll be using the links from your sig to root it pretty soon, so thanks for that!
I'm not pointing that out to be pedantic. I'm pointing that out so you can possibly concentrate your efforts on figuring out the differences between people who have it working and your own setup. Things you can look at are whether people have mass storage enabled, usb debugging enabled, which drivers they have installed, whether they have the new hardware or old, etc.

I don't know who Credo is and how they provision, but if you were on Sprint and had that problem I would suggest you do "Update Profile" from menu->settings->about phone. If that didn't work I would suggest you do ##786# reset (need your MSL) and let hands free activation do its thing. However I don't know who Credo is and how they provision so I cannot suggest you do thost things on Credo.

zymos

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I've already tried update profile (and PRL).

An interesting tidbit from an official Sprint rep on their forums-
"First for USB connectivity, you may be able to get it to connect by installing LG's USB drivers, but since it was intended to use windows' standard Mass Storage drivers the problem is being investigated."

zhecht

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
From a post by a Sprint moderator at Sprint Community (Sprint Community: 9/14 - LG Optimus S (LS670) Software...):
Hello All, I wanted to provide more up to date information, especially since my last update of info was buried . fist mass storage problem where the device now requires that you install the LG USB drivers, this has been reported to LG since we normally expect our mass storage devices to use windows native mass storage drivers. For reports of phones not charging, store techs are collecting samples for investigation, we should have more detail soon and so far it seems it may be related to the ratings of the charging source. as for the Android keyboard word prediction, it does from what I have seen have no dictionary, to can edit your android dictionary with User Dictionary Manager, swype does seem to have a dictionary to prevent misspellings, and also has been reported. the appearance, colors, notification bar size, Etc. is dictated by google, they specify the colors in the design of 2.3 and the size of notification bar may be related to screen size, and icon requirements for 2.3. I have no feedback regarding random slowdowns or lockups to provide (in response to JonMcR)

Reactions: Titus37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalikimoko