Gingerbread

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It should. It's still a current device and still selling well so I would imagine that we'll see an "official" Gingerbread before long.

Can we start the rumor threads now??

I predict June 12th. ;)

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I think the Incredible will get Gingerbread but I'd guess thats the end of the offical software updates for it.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I'll bother...

I'm not sure I'd bother with Verizon/HTC's Gingerbread.

My DInc is coming up on the one year mark and I doubt that I would actually worry about the warranty after that. So, I'm thinking that by summer, I'll probably load up Cyanogen v7 anyway and dispense with the Verizon bloat.

Before I take the plunge though, I'd like to hear from others who went from rooted, but heavily customized DInc (I have root + LauncherPro + Swype + setcpu and other Cyanogen like goodies) to Cyanogen itself.

Is it worth the move?

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes plain and simple yes it is but i have a feeling verizon isnt gonna let one of there most popular phones down like seriously the droid incredible had to be one of the most sold android devices i have a feeling its going to get it

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If the Dink does get a gingerbread update it will probably be sometime after the Dink2 is released, and by that time Ice Cream Sandwich might be on the horizon. I'll probably just forgo the official update anyways and use CM7 instead. No sense, no Verizon bloatwere, just pure gingerbread goodness.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that CM7 doesn't have HD video and some other functionality that is available with the stock Dinc. Is that not the case? IMO I'd rather wait for the official update than lose functionality.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Flur - You are correct. 720p video recording is not functional in CM7 and won't be until they can get a crack at some new drivers. The drivers they are using now just won't support it.

Not a deal breaker for me since I can count on one hand then number of seconds I've shot of video on my DInc, but others I know use it regularly.

will1198

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I'd bother with Verizon/HTC's Gingerbread.

My DInc is coming up on the one year mark and I doubt that I would actually worry about the warranty after that. So, I'm thinking that by summer, I'll probably load up Cyanogen v7 anyway and dispense with the Verizon bloat.

Before I take the plunge though, I'd like to hear from others who went from rooted, but heavily customized DInc (I have root + LauncherPro + Swype + setcpu and other Cyanogen like goodies) to Cyanogen itself.

Is it worth the move?

CyanogenMod 7 is the best thing you can do to your phone other than rooting it in the first place. No bloatware, better battery life, and just custom little tweaks you dont get with the stock ROM. Flash it and dont look back

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Im using cm7 nightlies as well and the 720p recording not been supported om this rom is a non issue with me . I dont record much even when on stock rom.

Since being on CM7 I havent even thought about the "official update ".....anymore :D

psycho_maniac

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
same here. i thought the 720 worked? well it worked on cm6. haha shows how much i use my phone. i hated on cm6 when the camera would reset the phone sometimes.

"official update" is dead to me lol. its gonna suck when i get a new phone and cm isnt supported right when i get it :( will be having withdrawals LOL

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
you guys are crazy lol. i think i only had my phone for 1 day before i rooted and flashed a rom on my incredible

While I applaud your eagerness, I'd say it's probably best to make sure the phone isn't defective before essentially voiding the warranty. Why have to unroot to trade the phone in if you can just wait a few weeks?

psycho_maniac

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
im not very good at waiting. and i really really liked what cyanogenmod was doing with android. so i had to try it out. I also dont like htc sense.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Cm7 is where its at. Probably the best rom ive ever used. Rooting and learning the ropes only takes alot of reading and a few days of practice to get comfortable. But if u dont want to root theres nothing wrong with that

I rooted bc i found stock boring, i get better battery, i have gb,and i get to regularly mess with my phone. Its awesome. Cm7 #12 is really stable on my inc. And i never record video anyway.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Why CM nightlies are better than the Official OTA gingerbread...IMO

ZERO NECK... I am in agreement with you all the way... Screw the "official OTA update" of GingerBread... Eversince I Flashed #12 of nightlies, my phone is running even better than stock... Plus, CM not only is already able to give you 2.3.3, but also a ton of goodies that won't be there with the official update... I DO NOT WANT THE OFFICIAL UPDATE... CM has done an absolutely amazing job at turning GingerBread into a perfect Frankenstein.....
and To all those out their that can live with 720p recording, i have a question. WHO CARES? can someone explain to me what the big friggin deal is with being able to record in 720p? (it was a retorical question, but someone can answer it) :) ROOT OR DIE... JK, rooting was the best decision i ever made to my inc. and if your not sure how to do it, then you are at the right place for help...