Gmail or Outlook app for email?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
alrighty, so I use outlook for work, and Gmail for my personal email of course. The Gmail application sync both email accounts and calendars successfully. However, my Gmail account through the Gmail application seems to sync much faster versus my Outlook account, which takes a few minutes to sync up to my work computers. which application do you prefer to use for fast sinking of email accounts and calendars? Gmail or Outlook? Thank you for any help. I'm pretty advanced with this, but I'm also very anal as well unfortunately...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For Outlook I strongly recommend Nine. It's a paid app, but it's soooooo worth it. There's a trial version, I believe, so you can use risk-free, but trust me, you'll be hooked.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For Outlook I strongly recommend Nine. It's a paid app, but it's soooooo worth it. There's a trial version, I believe, so you can use risk-free, but trust me, you'll be hooked.
Awesome awesome. Why do you recommend nine email app? Just out of curiosity...

okay, so I just downloaded setup my Gmail for 9 email application, unfortunately though for the sync frequency there's no push setting.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The interface is pretty neat, sync with Outlook is pretty full-fledged, lots of the same features you'd see on the desktop interface including meeting details and attachments, plus if you have to deal with Corporate Security Policies that might hinder useful features on your phone like Smart Lock if you use your account, Nine lets you set the security level to the app only (sort of like making itself a private, separate phone just for e-mail) so your corporate policies are applied to the app, but you're still free to set whatever security level you want on the rest of your phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and while I think this changed recently, it was also the only one I could find that integrated neatly with my phone's calendar without having a separate app (at the time, if you used Outlook, the calendar only appeared on Outlook's in-app agenda, for instance).

Unfortunately my company decided to stop allowing Android phones from connecting to the e-mail server so I had to stop using Nine, but when they allow it again, I'll sure go back. Best e-mail app for my corporate account I've ever used.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
okay gotcha. Thank you so so much for the assistance! You're right, Outlook application has its own calendar system versus Gmail application. Must have changed recently though.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I will have to look into Nine and see how I like it. But I have been using aquamail and really like it for my 3 personal accounts and my work exchange account. I have liked it so far. It allows me to see all the accounts on the account page and organizes well. I just like having all of my emails in one app instead of multiple apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Outlook application has its own calendar system versus Gmail application.
It's not the Outlook app, it's the Exchange server. Gmail can connect to Exchange for email, but that's it - no calendar, contacts (as far as I know), etc.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use duo security at work as well. I might switch over to Outlook as well, just haven't done so yet. Do you think it syncs faster on our phones than the Gmail app does?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have to use Outlook on my phone due to DUO security setup for Exchange.

Nine is listed as 'compatible but unsupported' with Duo... who knows, it might work.

PS: I am not paid by Nine nor do I work for them haha I just truly loved the app.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Alright here's my take on this. I'm an ex Windows Phone user and have converted to Android 3 years ago. I've tried to get back to the Microsoft ecosystem on several occasions but I just can't because it no longer fits my needs.

So, Outlook for Android is an excellent app. It really is. But only if you use your main email address. Otherwise it's a bit more work.

Personally I have four email addresses: @gmail.com, @outlook.com and two custom domains. On Gmail, I can add all four of them on gmail.com and boom it works everywhere, PC, phone, etc. I have one place for all my emails, all my contacts and so on. I love that. I can write and reply from all four emails with nothing particular to do. It's perfect for me.

Now outlook.com allows you to add your @gmail.com account or custom domain email accounts. You will be able to use them on Windows 10 but not Android. On Android, you need to have all your email accounts separated. You can stil keep all your contacts on outlook.com but your email will be split.

Outlook has a cool feature: aliases. You can have, for example, myname@outlook.com as your main email address and, if you want to keep that private, create thisismyname@outlook.com for example. BUT if you get an email sent to thisismyname@outlook.com and you want to reply to it, you have to manually select the alias in the "From" field everytime. It doesn't select it automatially and there is no option for that.

So it's a question of how you use your emails and also what ecosystem you use. If you like and use Google apps, Google Drive and so on, then a Gmail account fits perfectly in that. And you can still use your Outlook email address in Gmail and use it seamlessly. But it gets trickier if you want to use your Gmail account in Outlook (unless you separate the two).

If you're mainly in the Microsoft ecosystem (OneDrive, Office and so on) then you'll have a better experience with Outlook. But again it depends on how you use your emails.

I hope this helps!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the very helpful and lengthy response back! For right now I'm trying the Outlook application syncing both my exchange email from work, and my personal Gmail account so far so good. The syncingfor my Gmail account is pretty smooth and fast so far, and of course my exchange account is perfect! Both calendar accounts are also working beautifully for right now so no complaints so far I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens in the future.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually went back to using Gmail for both email accounts because we found the world silver better and the email sync is good across the board. Thanks for all the help though I really appreciate it!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Actually went back to using Gmail for both email accounts because we found the world silver better and the email sync is good across the board. Thanks for all the help though I really appreciate it!

No matter how I tried Outlook, both the Android app and the web app has huge shortcomings and they keep removing features for some reason. So I'm always going back to Gmail. Microsoft has a lot of work to do for people who use more than just their main @outlook.com email address unfortunately.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No matter how I tried Outlook, both the Android app and the web app has huge shortcomings and they keep removing features for some reason. So I'm always going back to Gmail. Microsoft has a lot of work to do for people who use more than just their main @outlook.com email address unfortunately.
Unfortunately, that's the truth. When I tried outlook application, the calendar function in Outlook is weird as hell!

spajdo

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
I like Inbox, but I must switch to other application (like everyone) and I choose gmail. Its not so good as Inbox, but it is very good application.I tried outlook, but I dont like it. I miss some functionality and I dont like its UI.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I like Inbox, but I must switch to other application (like everyone) and I choose gmail. Its not so good as Inbox, but it is very good application.I tried outlook, but I dont like it. I miss some functionality and I dont like its UI.
Well, the problem with inbox is that it doesn't accept Outlook exchange accounts. Only Gmail accounts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans