Going from iOS to Android--app recommendations, a few doubts, what to look for and avoid

Khrn

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

You probably get these kind of questions a lot, so I hope I'm not missing another thread focusing on it.

So, soon I'll be changing my phone. Right now I have an iPhone 5, but I've been interested in Android for a while now. I don't need a change in the next few days (I just bought a PC monitor, so I want to wait a bit more), but I'm in the research phase, trying to understand the system, its features and best devices/brans on the market. Still, I might miss something, so I thought it could be a good idea to ask users who are core users.

First of all, I definitely don't need a 5.5" screen. I know people seem to believe this until they actually have a bigger phone and enjoy it, but I have a tablet and I'm not a hardcore user. My current phone is 16 GB and I have 3 GB left which I don't plan on using at all. I play games, but I do that more often on my PC than on mobile. So I think a 5" or less screen is fine.

Now, I did some research of my own and I really liked the Galaxy S7. It has fingerprint sensor, great screen and performance and a good camera too. I played it safe in terms of brand because I don't know how reliable they all are in terms of support and system updates. Of course, if you have any suggestions, I'm open to them.

One thing I want to mention: I did say I'm not a hardcore user, but I just moved to Vancouver, Canada (Telus carrier, if that helps) and I might be using my phone more. I want to take pictures, use maps and, while I might be able to charge it at college, I want a good battery life just in case, since I'll be out of the apartment at least 12 hours a day. And hey, I might start playing mobile games more often if I have the time!

I also want some support from the manufacturer when I'm back in Brazil, so I don't want to risk one that's not there.

Finally, in terms of devices, is there a good time of the year to go buy it? I mean, like I said, I don't need it this week, so if I should wait for a new OS version or a new evice coming soon, let me know! I still want it before Christmas, though.

Apps

Now, most of the apps I use are multi-platform, such as Facebook, Facebook Messenger (yay for chat heads!), Steam, WhatsApp, Twitch (for notifications), bank apps, SwiftKey, Uber, Authy, Google Maps, Dropbox, Skype and Hangouts--as well as basic apps included in every system, such as the calculator, alarm clock, etc.

But some are exclusives and I'd like some suggestions for replacements. I don't like the default Twitter app, with a lot of ads and confusing UI. On iOS, I use Tweetbot. If there's anyone who knows it, is there a similar one? I don't need multiple accounts, dozens of theme options and things like that. I do want one that has great support by the developer when including new Twitter features as they are made available for third-party clients, real-time timeline and an easy to use UI. I'd also like a good currency converter that is easy to navigate (a lot of them are convoluted).

Oh, about music: I do have a few songs bought on iTunes (not Apple Music, to be clear), so can I somehow play them on an Android device or would I have to purchase them again?

Finally, Android specific features. You guys have these cool launchers and customization options I'd like to check, but sinve there are a lot of them, which ones should I keep an eye on?

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I'd appreciate any help. Thank you for your time!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

You probably get these kind of questions a lot, so I hope I'm not missing another thread focusing on it.

So, soon I'll be changing my phone. Right now I have an iPhone 5, but I've been interested in Android for a while now. I don't need a change in the next few days (I just bought a PC monitor, so I want to wait a bit more), but I'm in the research phase, trying to understand the system, its features and best devices/brans on the market. Still, I might miss something, so I thought it could be a good idea to ask users who are core users.

First of all, I definitely don't need a 5.5" screen. I know people seem to believe this until they actually have a bigger phone and enjoy it, but I have a tablet and I'm not a hardcore user. My current phone is 16 GB and I have 3 GB left which I don't plan on using at all. I play games, but I do that more often on my PC than on mobile. So I think a 5" or less screen is fine.

Now, I did some research of my own and I really liked the Galaxy S7. It has fingerprint sensor, great screen and performance and a good camera too. I played it safe in terms of brand because I don't know how reliable they all are in terms of support and system updates. Of course, if you have any suggestions, I'm open to them.

One thing I want to mention: I did say I'm not a hardcore user, but I just moved to Vancouver, Canada (Telus carrier, if that helps) and I might be using my phone more. I want to take pictures, use maps and, while I might be able to charge it at college, I want a good battery life just in case, since I'll be out of the apartment at least 12 hours a day. And hey, I might start playing mobile games more often if I have the time!

I also want some support from the manufacturer when I'm back in Brazil, so I don't want to risk one that's not there.

Finally, in terms of devices, is there a good time of the year to go buy it? I mean, like I said, I don't need it this week, so if I should wait for a new OS version or a new evice coming soon, let me know! I still want it before Christmas, though.

Apps

Now, most of the apps I use are multi-platform, such as Facebook, Facebook Messenger (yay for chat heads!), Steam, WhatsApp, Twitch (for notifications), bank apps, SwiftKey, Uber, Authy, Google Maps, Dropbox, Skype and Hangouts--as well as basic apps included in every system, such as the calculator, alarm clock, etc.

But some are exclusives and I'd like some suggestions for replacements. I don't like the default Twitter app, with a lot of ads and confusing UI. On iOS, I use Tweetbot. If there's anyone who knows it, is there a similar one? I don't need multiple accounts, dozens of theme options and things like that. I do want one that has great support by the developer when including new Twitter features as they are made available for third-party clients, real-time timeline and an easy to use UI. I'd also like a good currency converter that is easy to navigate (a lot of them are convoluted).

Oh, about music: I do have a few songs bought on iTunes (not Apple Music, to be clear), so can I somehow play them on an Android device or would I have to purchase them again?

Finally, Android specific features. You guys have these cool launchers and customization options I'd like to check, but sinve there are a lot of them, which ones should I keep an eye on?

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I'd appreciate any help. Thank you for your time!

For twitter check out Talon, Flamingo, carbon, fenix.

Khrn

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
The default themes in these clients don't seem to offer an option to always show icons for other columns. For instance, on Tweetbot, as shown on the image below, I have icons for timeline, mentions, direct messages and two customizable options, which you can set to either activity, likes, your profile, lists, filters and search (I keep activity and likes). Whenever there's a new content on the first three, a blue dot shows up beneath, so I can always keep track, no matter where I am in the app. Is there any other theme or app that does that?

tweetbot.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter