Goodbye Galaxy S3

Mungus8888

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I definitely liked the s3's real estate and features, but it got so bad in the last day, the calls dropped 3 times while I was on the phone with Verizon tech. I think they were sick of the phone as much as I was

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm in central NJ too.. I had 5 bars on my note of 4g not lte if there's a difference. .. I'm sure there is lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Just as I had hoped, the replacement Moto Razr Maxx HD replaced by Verizon solved the 8 month "is the other guys fault" "its your house " blah blah. The radio on this phone had made a huge improvement. Night n day. Samsung offered to replace" conflicting parts", but I was done. I'll miss the larger real estate, but i need a phone to be a phone, first and foremost.

Amen to that brother! My GS3 has the worst reception of any phone ive ever owned

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Radio on the RAZR HD/MAXX HD are amazing. I upgraded all the phones on my family plan at the same time. I got the MAXX HD, RAZR M, and the S3. In the same spot in my house at the exact same time, the MAXX HD's 4G reception was consistently about 8-10 db stronger than the other two phones. If you're having reception issues, the Motorola HD phones are your answer.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong.. But 4g/3g data has little to nothing to do with calls? I think 1g is for calls

Yeah, that is true. voice/sms/mms use the "1X" technology, where mobile data is the 1XEV (3G) or LTE (4G).

Normally, I hate posts like this -- I was expecting it to be another "leave flaming bag of poo and run away" kind of post that most of the ones with title like this tend to be. I was pleasantly surprised to see an actual civil thread about a legit issue that the OP is still participating in.

For the record, I live in a VERY good area for Verizon coverage. I've had no issues whatsoever with dropped calls, and normally have 4G almost everywhere I go...but having said that, this phone gets some of the worse reception of any I've used in quite a while on Verizon. Data starts to get real flaky real fast once I get into a "fringe" area or I am inside buildings with bad reception. Granted, I can accept and deal with the fact that those things happen, but it upsets me when my friends/coworkers who also have Verizon phones get strong signals while I'm sitting there with no bars and no data signal to be found.

For me, it's not bad enough to want to get a different device, but it is definitely something I've noticed. If the S4 improves only 1 thing, I sure hope it's the radio...

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just as I had hoped, the replacement Moto Razr Maxx HD replaced by Verizon solved the 8 month "is the other guys fault" "its your house " blah blah. The radio on this phone had made a huge improvement. Night n day. Samsung offered to replace" conflicting parts", but I was done. I'll miss the larger real estate, but i need a phone to be a phone, first and foremost.

Good move. I have coworkers with S3's that have the same problems. I love my phone and would never switch because of screen size or even resolution. There is nothing I can't or don't do on this thing. Work emails to streaming Netflix is flawless. Oh and it has a pretty dang good RF section for making phone calls too. If you're in to that kind of thing :)

Sent using the amazing RAZR Maxx HD

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
In the same spot in my house at the exact same time, the MAXX HD's 4G reception was consistently about 8-10 db stronger than the other two phones.
That's no way to take readings, but if the phone works better, good to go.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Mungus8888

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that is true. voice/sms/mms use the "1X" technology, where mobile data is the 1XEV (3G) or LTE (4G).

Normally, I hate posts like this -- I was expecting it to be another "leave flaming bag of poo and run away" kind of post that most of the ones with title like this tend to be. I was pleasantly surprised to see an actual civil thread about a legit issue that the OP is still participating in.

For the record, I live in a VERY good area for Verizon coverage. I've had no issues whatsoever with dropped calls, and normally have 4G almost everywhere I go...but having said that, this phone gets some of the worse reception of any I've used in quite a while on Verizon. Data starts to get real flaky real fast once I get into a "fringe" area or I am inside buildings with bad reception. Granted, I can accept and deal with the fact that those things happen, but it upsets me when my friends/coworkers who also have Verizon phones get strong signals while I'm sitting there with no bars and no data signal to be found.

For me, it's not bad enough to want to get a different device, but it is definitely something I've noticed. If the S4 improves only 1 thing, I sure hope it's the radio...

There's no way I was going to participate in a flame session against the S3. The phone was great, except at home. It did everything I asked it to do and then some. I'm sure if I ponied up for the extender it world have helped, but it was the principle. I was definitely no impressed with VZW pushy sales tactics for the extender. I have another year to go before a new phone, so I'll be watching the S4.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Most people know that the GS line of phones don't have the strongest radios in them that's part of the reason there sar levels are usually so low. Its not the best phone for those in rural areas or at the edge of signal areas. Works perfect for me though.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
How would you compare then? These were the readings from the phones' own network type and strength setting.
The phones are capable of giving you a "relative" reading. The number of bars on your phone is very inaccurate. To get true signal strength you would use a calibrated receiver costing several thousand dollars.

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I know I mentioned earlier about having trouble with radio signal at home, but I did want to say that it seems no different with any phone I have owned. My previous phones were, Palm Pre2, Palm Pre+, LG VX9500, and I can't remember before then...some Kyocera candy bar. I've been with Verizon throughout it all, and they have all had very similar signal strength at my house...1 or 2 bars...sometimes 3. I guess I'm saying that I haven't noticed my S3 to be notably different from my other phones. Is it possible that, due to the enormous popularity of the S3 'inflates' the perception that the radio is poor? I mean, it may be that the radio is not as good as say, the RAZR MAXX, but since there are so many users, even if the S3 is similar to less popular models, there will be a larger number of complaints, but as a percentage of owners, is it really much different from other models?

Mungus8888

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I know I mentioned earlier about having trouble with radio signal at home, but I did want to say that it seems no different with any phone I have owned. My previous phones were, Palm Pre2, Palm Pre+, LG VX9500, and I can't remember before then...some Kyocera candy bar. I've been with Verizon throughout it all, and they have all had very similar signal strength at my house...1 or 2 bars...sometimes 3. I guess I'm saying that I haven't noticed my S3 to be notably different from my other phones. Is it possible that, due to the enormous popularity of the S3 'inflates' the perception that the radio is poor? I mean, it may be that the radio is not as good as say, the RAZR MAXX, but since there are so many users, even if the S3 is similar to less popular models, there will be a larger number of complaints, but as a percentage of owners, is it really much different from other models?

I can only speak from what I've had here.. All on VZW. Clamshell? to blackberry? to HTC Incredible to S3 to Razr Maxx HD. With the wife's iPhone 4s thrown in. Of all, only the s3 had issues. And only in fringe areas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

PattiL

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have taken all the advice I could find about my problem - clearing cache, uninstall, re-install & still when I try to login to my ACTIVE and very working Netflix account, I get the message: "This account is not active. Visit Netflix.com to restart your membership." My membership is active & up to date; I logged in on my laptop while having phone in hand but still got this message on my phone. Any suggestions?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'll bet a factory data reset of your phone would take care of the problem, it would get rid of whatever is causing this problem on your phone. As long as you then re-install the Netflix app rather than bringing it back from backup, you should be good. Remember, though, that you should back everything up that you care about before doing a factory reset, since it takes your settings back to factory defaults and deletes data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia