Google Assistant on Cover

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi. Is there anyway to use the google assistant on the cover screen? It just keeps telling me to open my phone. I have it so it responds when phone is locked. It can do this when my phone is open and locked but not when my phone is closed. At least, not anymore. I was able to use the assistant on the cover screen just last week, but not sure what has changed. I didn't get any updates or anything. I tried all the usual settings but nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
If it's any consolation, it doesn't work on the Razr+ either. It hears me and responds, but the response is "Hi, How can I help?" and then on the next line, "Flip open for more." Useless.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Old_Norm

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi. Is there anyway to use the google assistant on the cover screen? It just keeps telling me to open my phone. I have it so it responds when phone is locked. It can do this when my phone is open and locked but not when my phone is closed. At least, not anymore. I was able to use the assistant on the cover screen just last week, but not sure what has changed. I didn't get any updates or anything. I tried all the usual settings but nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.
I thought Assistant didn't work on my phone unopened as well. When I'd say Hey Google, the "Flip open for more" message would appear. I thought it wouldn't work without opening the phone. But today when that message appeared I asked a question about the weather and the assistant responded with the phone closed. Might want to check to see if it works for you.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
When I'd say Hey Google, the "Flip open for more" message would appear. I thought it wouldn't work without opening the phone. But today when that message appeared I asked a question about the weather and the assistant responded with the phone closed. Might want to check to see if it works for you.
Nope, still not working on Razr+. I also tried setting a MacroDroid macro to force assistant on, and I also tried it with a different digital assistant than Google, but still no-go. With the macro (regardless of which assistant is used), it now responds ""Flip open and launch app." Same song, different verse.

junk14580

Feb 1, 2024
Visit site
yes, same issue on Moto (+) :
- Failure of a critical use-case of flip phones, and
- Failure to deliver on a key marketing point of functionality when closed.

See this thread: (Moto Status)
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/motoro...090cf14374b5c704f907cd8394a2fd&page=7#6274379

No feedback from Motorola (or Google via Lenovo)
- no confirmation of having duplicated the issue in their labs
- no report on having found the root cause
- no update on priority or timeline of issue resolution.
... only a work around with issues and security risks, and a comment of... looking into it, we will let you know.

Considering the severe impact to a principle function of flip phones, the level of feedback is disappointing to say the least, and would not be tolerated in other tech product lines of $1000+ devices. Sadly, flip is a narrow market... but that will change - so must device support.

Last edited: