Google Calendar app vs Stock Calendar....Duplicate notifications.

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I installed the Google calendar app and I prefer it over my stock android calendar. I have hidden the stock calendar icon, but when I input anything into the google calendar apps it also shows up in my stock calendar. When I disable my google account sync in the stock calendar app it also disappears from the Google calendar app. Now when I get calendar reminders, they are duplicated, one form google calendar and one form the stock calendar. It seems that they both sync based on the single account sync setting. Is there any way to have only the google calndar app sync and notify and not the stock android calendar app? Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You should just Disable the stock Calendar app--that's what I've done in the past, and it doesn't cause any problems. Go to System Settings/Apps/All, select Calendar (make sure it's the stock one, not the Google Calendar one--the icon should be a little different), and tap Disable.

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You should just Disable the stock Calendar app--that's what I've done in the past, and it doesn't cause any problems. Go to System Settings/Apps/All, select Calendar (make sure it's the stock one, not the Google Calendar one--the icon should be a little different), and tap Disable.

awesome will do that now! thanks.

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

found it but the disable button is greyed out. any other ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does rebooting the phone change anything? Also, stupid question, but you're sure you selected "Calendar," and not "Calendar Storage," right?

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
rebooting didnt make a difference. and yes it was calendar. i did see a check box for 'stop notifications' near the disable button (greyed out). i selected stop notifications and it worked.

lanten22

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I was able to resolve this (see second paragraph).

I have a Galaxy S4 upgraded to 5.0.1 OS. I installed Google Calendar APP and then had the same duplicate notification issue. But as some suggested, I could not uncheck "show notifications" (checkbox was greyed out) in Application Manager, I also did not have an option to disable the stock app (force stop was the only option).

But what resolved it for me was opening the old (stock) calendar app ( from "applications" on desktop -- NOT in Application Manager), then from within the calendar: Settings / Select Alert Type / choose Off button. And just to be safe, also selected "Notification Sound" and changed to "Silent." (Probably didn't need to turn of notification sound, but what the heck...)

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I installed the Google calendar app and I prefer it over my stock android calendar. I have hidden the stock calendar icon, but when I input anything into the google calendar apps it also shows up in my stock calendar. When I disable my google account sync in the stock calendar app it also disappears from the Google calendar app. Now when I get calendar reminders, they are duplicated, one form google calendar and one form the stock calendar. It seems that they both sync based on the single account sync setting. Is there any way to have only the google calndar app sync and notify and not the stock android calendar app? Thanks in advance.
Hiding the stock calendar app isn't enough, you need to disable it (but I'm kinda worried that might affect another app or two in doing their work). Try disabling the stock calendar app and try using the G-calendar app while keeping an eye out for any other app or process that complains of lesser performance because a certain app isn't doing its work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey