Google calendar not syncing at all

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I had an issue with my Galaxy S8+, I use my phone for work and we use Google calendar, mail, and voice to communicate. Everything synced fine for awhile then all of a sudden the calendar stopped syncing properly. Sync is on for all items and I still get emails when I check (I no longer get the notifications though) and voice works perfectly. I've tried turning sync on and off, uninstalling the google calendar app and reinstalling, signed out and signed back in. This last action actually made it so everything on there went away and now my work email doesn't even show up as an option. Still getting emails and texts through the voice app though. I decided to do without at the time but now I upgraded to a note 9 thinking this would take care of the issue. Everything worked fine with this phone at first but a week later the same problem is happening. I noticed the weather widget on my home screen is also not syncing, not sure if its related. Contacts have also not synced. After scouring the internet for a solution I haven't found anything that has fixed my issue. Any help or tips are appreciated, thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For the Calendar, go to its Settings, then select one of your calendars. Make sure the sync toggle is on. In the Google Calendar app, I think all other calendars besides your primary one are not set to sync by default -- you have to go into the settings and turn on sync for each of those calendars.

For Contacts, tap the Menu on the main page, and then Customize Display or Contacts to Display. Is it set to show all contacts, or are your proper accounts selected?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking specifically about that @Userenergy.com Google account? If so, tap that account in the Settings>Accounts menu (the one from the left screenshot). Does Calendar show up in that screen, and if so, is sync turned on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned that you signed out of that account, then signed back in. Do you mean that you went to the Settings>Accounts menu and used the Remove Account option for the erusenergy.com Google account, then added it back again?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have an S8+ and I'm having the same issues. I put in a dental appointment in my October calendar and it's gone. I also use the google calendar. I have checked every sync setting and they are all set to sync. Even online on my computer, the dental appt is gone. I have also had other appts disappear so this isn't the only example

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmph.:-\ It may be a pain, but maybe consider removing all Google accounts (including your primary one), and then add them back (starting with the primary one, of course).

Matt7734

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
Just tried that and no dice either. The problem is starting to escalate also. My apps won't update unless I'm in the play store seeing them update. Even if I'm connected to wifi and auto update is on.

Matt7734

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
Just tried and also tried booting and safe mode and still nothing is syncing. I was gonna try doing a master reset tonight but last time it started happening again anyways so I'm at a loss =/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Aha!:) That was probably the culprit, although you'd think Google's own Data Saver wouldn't interfere with something as basic as calendar syncing. Maybe it affects non-Gmail accounts? Anyway, glad you figured it out, and I'll keep this in mind the next time I see a similar problem in the forums!

Hugh Richards

Jun 3, 2019
Visit site
Aha!:) That was probably the culprit, although you'd think Google's own Data Saver wouldn't interfere with something as basic as calendar syncing. Maybe it affects non-Gmail accounts? Anyway, glad you figured it out, and I'll keep this in mind the next time I see a similar problem in the forums!

I just started my deep-dive search to figure this all out, and came across your data saver option item. You have saved me hours. Turning it off allowed my Google Calendar and Contacts to start working again. Of course, I onl now remember turning on Data Saver a month ago....
Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just started my deep-dive search to figure this all out, and came across your data saver option item. You have saved me hours. Turning it off allowed my Google Calendar and Contacts to start working again. Of course, I onl now remember turning on Data Saver a month ago....
Thanks again.

Hey, don't thank me -- thank @Matt7734, who posted the solution!:)